-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
sam lugged all my guns. steve stevens cared for my handguns. my 45's originally got squeezed at quantico for an army team guy MSGT buel parker. during his nam era service. buel sold me his guns when he aged out. he lived and passed in petersburg. I promised to carry on the tradition of his pistols accuracy and honored him by going distinguished with them on the navy team.
as for slings, we liked hrt dry rawhide on match day. no slip. as far as the team was concerned, after 4 weeks of shooting, it was old and worn. and we'd swap them out every year for new leather....compliments your tax dollars. thank you very much.
oh wait, we paid taxes too. lol.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll say it again...you're referring to MRT 1907 Slings. Cotton Web is hard to beat for Non-Slip. Les Tam Slings are known to be Marine Proof in Competition.
A couple of the MRT Slings I have came from a Navy Team Shooter. Now I know why he had extras!
[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by bobski
sam lugged all my guns. steve stevens cared for my handguns. my 45's originally got squeezed at quantico for an army team guy MSGT buel parker. during his nam era service. buel sold me his guns when he aged out. he lived and passed in petersburg. I promised to carry on the tradition of his pistols accuracy and honored him by going distinguished with them on the navy team.
as for slings, we liked hrt dry rawhide on match day. no slip. as far as the team was concerned, after 4 weeks of shooting, it was old and worn. and we'd swap them out every year for new leather....compliments your tax dollars. thank you very much.
oh wait, we paid taxes too. lol.

When this world gets back to normal and it seems like we're getting close sometime in April or October I'd like to sit down and have a brain picking conversation with you. You can pick my brain too but it won't take you very long LOL

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
well, if ya had a ticket for apr by now.........then you could pick me all you want at club 60 after the match! lol. any luck on bringing a hoard of buddies?

the navy guru's watched my scores and realized I had a steadier hand than a good rifle dope brain. so I focused on legging on pistol or id know more. but honestly? there were these 2 brothers from the Seabees that won the leg matches every year. names slipped my mind. it was kinda stupid to try, so I wasn't all that concerned about rifle. sorta like signing up for a Daytona race with petty in the front row.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wish I could get my hands on a nice new mrt. someday.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
well, if ya had a ticket for apr by now.........then you could pick me all you want at club 60 after the match! lol. any luck on bringing a hoard of buddies?

the navy guru's watched my scores and realized I had a steadier hand than a good rifle dope brain. so I focused on legging on pistol or id know more. but honestly? there were these 2 brothers from the Seabees that won the leg matches every year. names slipped my mind. it was kinda stupid to try, so I wasn't all that concerned about rifle. sorta like signing up for a Daytona race with petty in the front row.

🙃🙃 I see what did to here ... LOL I'll do some more buddy digging. Wifey might come but she probably won't shoot. Tell me the dates again, I'll make a decision in the next two weeks. Ok found it 8-9

Last edited by ldholton; 02/27/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wish I could get my hands on a nice new mrt. someday

I think you'll have better luck finding one now that you have the correct nomenclature.
There's a couple on eBay, but they look a little off. No date stamps;
https://www.ebay.com/itm/133851680805?hash=item1f2a2e9025:g:X3YAAOSw365hHAeI

Last edited by ChrisF; 02/27/22.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I suggest you spend some time at m14forum.com as well as here. There is much knowledge to gain about the M1a/M14 platform, and it is a great source for USGI parts and used guns built with these parts. Good luck with your M1A quest

David

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1^.
only drawerback to a m14 forum is sometimes you get so much info, it fogs the brain! i stay away from it because if i hang out there, ill be tempted to get back into it all at the cost of a marriage! lol.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
usgi HRT leather double hole. happy hunting!

Thanks, am finding out about the fakes or less than GI quality slings out there, this may be a thorn thicket getting through to find the correct one.

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hay larry, be advised, match and super match are being discontinued.......SA is trimming fat.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/?ss3 ... scontinued

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys been busy, talking this M1A schidt. I'm half tempted to trade in my AR10 Armalite for one, if they are all they are cracked up to be... Hmm...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ldholton
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by ldholton
M1A are the match and super match versions enough better to justify the expense over a standard? And also just how hard are the scope mounts to take off and on? I'm talking Springfield Armory.

I dont know buddy, do know my first experiences into the M1A is happening right now, i bought a new Springfield National Match, gunsmith buddy said it had a National Match barrel, trigger and sights, also said the walnut stock was bedded and to not go tearing it down, bring it to him and he'll show me, also said he had a couple drill bits set aside for me to clean the gas tube, also has a grease rec, said a cartridge case rim is used to turn off the gas if i get tired of chasing brass, the brass lands less than two feet from my right shoulder, so i guess i'm not leaning on the rifle to bad.

I took 220 sticks of new WW 308 brass, annealed them, full length resized, set case trimmer for max length and ran em all through, a few were long but mostly just trued up necks, deburred inside and out, rehit inside case mouth lightly with VLD tool, worked up a load with 168gr Hornady Amax and Power Pro Varmint powder, CCI-200 primers, col 2.820" Vel 2645 fps, first 5 rounds had a 5 fps extreme spread, checked 5 more several days later and had an 11 fps extreme spread, i think this is something i can work with.

Will zero rifle at 100 then reset rear sight tumbler? to 0 and go from there with JBM program drop chart, bought three 20 round CMI mags and a maglula loader, just kinda rounding out my bag, this will be fun, i intend to shoot a buck, doe or pig with this rifle, i know it'll get the job done, have steel here at the farm to shoot from 100 to 700 yards, and a steel buffalo at 550.

Sounds like a lot of fun Gunner ol buddy. I may have to talk to you a little more about your rifle. The first experience I had with one of these was last year when my air borne ranger buddy brought one to a military rifle shoot. That rifle shoots damn well. I was surprised. His has been shot a lot, but it still shoots great. Then another guy had one that was new. He asked if I could shoot it for him, to see exactly how accurate the rifle was. I said hell yes. That new Springfield Armory shot soft. Much softer than the M1 garrand I shot that day. As you know, I shoot weak side when I shoot irons, so I easily notice a difference in recoil. Others may not notice the difference.

You bet my Friend, glad to share anything i learn about these rifles, sounds like you guys had a bit of educational fun at the range as well,, i think the Garand and M1A are soft shooters simply by design and weight, and either with a half way descent barrel and loads can easily out shoot my iron sight capabilities, speaking of WW brass, i had two old blue and white bags plus one white and red box of 20 cases, i think the old WW brass will do me good, not impressed with the new red/black/white bags of crap.

Shot a friend's Grand and I agree very soft shooting way softer than many lighter calibers in different lightweight rifles I have now. But then again they're not designed to shoot as fast as I can how many hundreds of times and enemies back in the 40s. Just always had a hankering and want of an M1A..

Its always fun to have a "hankering". I was one that always wanted a M1 Garrand, until I shot one. The reason being, my grandfather used one in WWII in the european theater. My dad, however, was a Navy Sea Bee. He talked about the "M14" a lot and said he liked it better than the M1 Garrand. I always said fooey on that schidt, but I guess dad was right about a few things...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

You sound like you know what you are talking about bobski. For some reason my dad had an affliction for these M1A's. I remember when I was about 12, he was at his buddies house and they were ringing steel at about 600 yards with a m14. Both had the biggest smiles on their faces. Good memories..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was a novice compared to the ones who taught me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
the M1 fell out of favor for match. the travel distance of the op rod was longer and it tended to bend with time. the M1A fixed that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys been busy, talking this M1A schidt. I'm half tempted to trade in my AR10 Armalite for one, if they are all they are cracked up to be... Hmm...
Trade?!! That's crazy talk! "Add to the collection" is the proper term.

Politics is War by Other Means
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
hay larry, be advised, match and super match are being discontinued.......SA is trimming fat.

https://www.springfield-armory.com/?ss3 ... scontinued

The other day and it does look like Springfield uses a cast receiver still researching I'm in no hurry at all. Might start gathering parts and pieces as I come by them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Trade?!! That's crazy talk! "Add to the collection" is the proper term.

Ha ha. Ok Tyrone... I guess it was crazy talk. I may have had 1 or 2 too many last night... The guy has 2. One with a stainless match barrel and the other blued and all original with all GI parts according to my older friend who has 4 of them. I handled the one with the blued barrel the most because it was less money ($1,700.00). They both come with original scope mounts, slings, and mags. He wants $2,600.00 for the stainless match. Its only money right?? I just don't know what they are actually worth... My buddy said I should snag the $1,700.00 one because those scope mounts are getting harder to find and they are probably around $300 alone. Plus the rifle is a low serial #. Probably manufactured in mid to late 70's (he said from '76-1980). You guys have any insight on value? Like I said earlier, I shot a new one (M1a Loaded) and it was beautiful. I enjoyed the heck out of it.. Even though gas prices are what they are, I may take a drive and look at it again...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have a question in regards to the M1a. I ran across another one. I believe it is a supermatch with a stainless barrel. It is an older one, but someone may have tinkered with it. It has an adjustable cheek piece, but looks very nicely done. If not done by Springfield Armory, it was professionally done. Wish I would have taken pictures of it. The shop owner called it a "sniper" version, or that is what he was told. It appears to be a target model of some sort and has an aperture front sight, much like nice 22lr target rifles have. Assuming a Lyman of some sort. Have any of you guys seen a model like this? Wondering if the mods ruined the value? Its a nice looking rifle. Thinking it was made in early to mid 80's. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.. Oh yeah, the price seems good. I may just burn up some of my tax refund on it.. What say you guys in the know?

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 1moredeer, 160user, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,112
Posts18,464,395
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.