Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Active duty military and their spouses can get the AMEX Platinum Card with no annual fee. My son is an Air Force pilot and he has one, and uses it for everything - collects a ton of points and enjoys all the benefits with none of the annual cost. Highly recommended for any military member who can qualify.

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
These are companies who know more about your behavior than you do. They spent millions on research and you guys think you're getting one over on them. Lol

You don’t seem to be giving people here much credit. I think most of us are aware running a balance on a CC is a poor financial move.

It’s not about getting over… obviously CC companies make their money off that segment of the population.

While I don’t have one, I doubt there are many stupid people using an AMEX platinum

Fair enough. I just draw the line at paying to borrow, regardless of the perks.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by WTM45
AMEX is the best card company out there. Period.
And some of us pay $0 for carrying a platinum card. lol

Herpes is the best STD out there. Some hookers are more elite than others lol

Sounds like you have more experience with that subject than you do picking up the dinner and drinks tab for a national sales team.

They still take cash and debit? Lol

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not AMEX, but I had a Visa through United. The "expensive" one, I believe $495 a year. I used it to pay everything, the perks from United lunges, priority boarding and double air-miles offset the annual fee and paid for several travels.
So even thought $685 may seem like much, depending on usage and how you observe the benefits, it may be beneficial for some.

Having a credit card doesn't mean you need to pay minimum and accrue late fees. Just like having insurance doesn't mean you need to wreck you car so you don't pay the insurer's in vain

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Paid off a bunch of debt over the last five years, decent credit, got an offer in the mail.

An old joke goes a sure way to meet women is wear your American Express Platinum Card on a gold chain around your neck 🙂

I already got enough credit cards, but seriously, WTF? $685/year, what am I missing here?

There are a lot of cash back benefits to some of these cards that reduce the $685 to near nothing if you travel a lot and have certain purchasing patterns. I don't like the American Express Platinum Card for our travel and spending patterns. We use the Chase Sapphire Reserve which has been $450 before they credit back the first $300 (net $150 annual fee) of travel spending which is easy to do. They recently raised it to $550 before the credit. All our other purchases go on this card and it builds points at a dramatic rate which we redeem for airline tickets.

We have had the card for the last several years and it has saved us way more than the $150 (or $250 now). We are generally able to purchase somewhere between $8,000 and $10,000 annually in plane tickets with the points so there is that savings there. No more cost of travel insurance which automatically comes with the card. Free lounge access if we want to use it. Purchase protection that I have used a couple of times. All in all I can count on getting several thousand per year back on this card for the $250 fee.

There is a big difference in buying plane tickets with points vs using miles. The airlines shaft you with blackout dates for the miles redemptions, but points appear as outright purchases so no blackout dates. These cards aren't good for people that don't travel a lot in most cases, but they are fantastic if you do travel a lot. I think the Chase suite of cards and their point transfer/redemptions are at the top of the heap for now.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Sounds like you have more experience with that subject than you do picking up the dinner and drinks tab for a national sales team.

I've seen a 4 person night out with prospects cost upwards of 7k for that night - companies don't want their people walking around with 7k in cash. CC is much easier to tie to a GL code in the accounting software too.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it’s hard for some to conceptualize flying more than once every 4 or 5 years versus somebody that is basically flying daily.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Teal

I've seen a 4 person night out with prospects cost upwards of 7k for that night - companies don't want their people walking around with 7k in cash. CC is much easier to tie to a GL code in the accounting software too.

Did You Expense the Lap Dances?!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by Teal

Did You Expense the Lap Dances?!

Nope - but I know a guy who did so twice. Helps that the CC bill comes up as a steak house and not a titty bar. Got caught tho - apparently someone in accounting was familiar with that specific establishment being a "steak house". He still works there tho.

Me

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Hah! That's awesome lol

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Chump change is still MY change and why would I give to that company when there are only about a thousand other companies who will pay ME to use them.

$685 could be used to buy those drinks if you really want them so bad lol

I’m pretty sure you’re not their target customer. I’m not either, but obviously there is a class of people that use them or they wouldn’t exist. I suspect those people know more about managing money than you or me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Got the AMEX platinum card. Wife and I are planning to do a bunch of traveling over the next few years. Already saved the amount of the annual fee in airline tickets easy. Lots of other perks with it too. My brother has had one for years and he flys a lot both domestically and internationally. No problems with the platinum card here.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Like so many other things, whether it is worth it varies upon the individual's circumstances. If you use a card once a week for gas, probably not. If you travel / entertain / etc often, it could be a bargain.

P.S. Has anyone else noticed that those seem to be the least knowledgeable on something are usually the most opinionated?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Lol again. You are paying them, for the privilege of...paying them.

No. You are not.

I carried an amex for years. The benefit when booking travel and cars was worth the $400-$500 per year. You see there, I was paying and receiving something for it.

Get out of your own little world and realize that your world-view is not all encompassing. What makes sense for the way you live and do business isn't the same for me and my way isn't the same for a sales guy in the air 3-4 days a week, year-round.

I dropped the amex because one of the main benefits I appreciated was rental car insurance it provided. Found a different card that does that and I don't fly hardly at all any more. Hence the benefits I would be receiving from amex are no longer there.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
P.S. Has anyone else noticed that those seem to be the least knowledgeable on something are usually the most opinionated?

Yes.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Certifiable
These are companies who know more about your behavior than you do. They spent millions on research and you guys think you're getting one over on them. Lol

You don’t seem to be giving people here much credit. I think most of us are aware running a balance on a CC is a poor financial move.

It’s not about getting over… obviously CC companies make their money off that segment of the population.

While I don’t have one, I doubt there are many stupid people using an AMEX platinum

Fair enough. I just draw the line at paying to borrow, regardless of the perks.

AMEX is not a credit card. You are not borrowing beyond 1 month's time. You have to pay it off every month. I am sure they have changed and there are options now, but it was always a card that had to be paid in full monthly.

Montana MOFO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
They have options for 'carrying balances' now.

FJB & FJT
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Raeford
They have options for 'carrying balances' now.

I thought that was the case. I believe it is still designed to not carry balances but the option is there.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by visalia6mm
If you Fly a lot with layover, you get access to the platinum lounge in selected airports. Well worth the 685/yr.

There are potentially a lot of benefits. If you fly business class or above, your wife flies free. That alone pays for it big time. Can pay for extra luggage, pays to enroll in TSR Pre, Global Pass and accumulates redeemable points. If you travel, it can be beneficial.

I have one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Chump change is still MY change and why would I give to that company when there are only about a thousand other companies who will pay ME to use them.

$685 could be used to buy those drinks if you really want them so bad lol

No offense meant. There are 2 buttons below every post. Quote and Reply. If you truly want to answer the guy that you're responding to, you might try using one of those buttons.

Troll aszholes do this a lot to try to slide their bulshit through without a response.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (1eyedmule, 35, 257 mag, 300jimmy, 44mc, 7887mm08, 11 invisible), 1,317 guests, and 836 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,270
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.