Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Paid off a bunch of debt over the last five years, decent credit, got an offer in the mail.

An old joke goes a sure way to meet women is wear your American Express Platinum Card on a gold chain around your neck 🙂

I already got enough credit cards, but seriously, WTF? $685/year, what am I missing here?

more impressive yet, get one of the black Centurion cards

Sam......

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Paid off a bunch of debt over the last five years, decent credit, got an offer in the mail.

An old joke goes a sure way to meet women is wear your American Express Platinum Card on a gold chain around your neck 🙂

I already got enough credit cards, but seriously, WTF? $685/year, what am I missing here?

more impressive yet, get one of the black Centurion cards

Ah, the Centurion is by invitation only. And they only invite folks spending six figures annually with Platinum cards already. wink

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Originally Posted by Certifiable
These are companies who know more about your behavior than you do. They spent millions on research and you guys think you're getting one over on them. Lol

You don’t seem to be giving people here much credit. I think most of us are aware running a balance on a CC is a poor financial move.

It’s not about getting over… obviously CC companies make their money off that segment of the population.

While I don’t have one, I doubt there are many stupid people using an AMEX platinum

Fair enough. I just draw the line at paying to borrow, regardless of the perks.

AMEX is not a credit card. You are not borrowing beyond 1 month's time. You have to pay it off every month. I am sure they have changed and there are options now, but it was always a card that had to be paid in full monthly.

Ummm Wrong. Their interest rates are stupendous(as are most of the rest) so you pay it off every month.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow. Lol

Look at me with my shiny card. It means I am better than you and likely have a huge dick and a hot wife lol

Gonna buy some $80 champion sweatpants with that card? Lol

Actually it’s 135$ lullulemmon sweats on while I’m sitting next to not my wife at the centurion lounge drinking in free single batch, while she rubs on my leg.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just kiddin I ain’t got enough money to my name to get a Sears and Roebuck store card.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Considering the cash and/or you get back from some cards, it may or may not make sense to use a card with a fee. There are many no fee cards that have decent rewards.

The idea of actually carrying a balance is my hard stop.

I've gone out of my way to put large purchases on the CC, then taking in the cash back while paying off the balance before paying any interest.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

You have to fly commercial enough to appreciate its value.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ran the numbers for me. I paid $550 annual fee-earlier this year. Delta sky club membership $545, $200 airline fee credit, 45000 membership reward points received from airline ticket purchases this year so far ,$450 value. I’am $645 ahead this year. I have been getting positive expected value out of the card for the last few years.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Amex has a card for everybody, I have had Amex Business card for 30 years, mine is probably called the "Potmetal Special". No fees. I used to go to Ritchie Bros heavy equipment auctions, to evaluate used equipment for customers. If something was going super cheap, a couple times I snapped it up myself, using the Amex card at pre registry. One phone call to the 800 number on the back of the card, giving them a heads up, bingo, I was good for 40 grand. And believe me, I am much lower on the economic scale than most of you guys. I think it's a great company, and if you do have to resolve a problem on the phone, you need not be fluent in ebonics.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My nephew has Amex platinum card.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
Like so many other things, whether it is worth it varies upon the individual's circumstances. If you use a card once a week for gas, probably not. If you travel / entertain / etc often, it could be a bargain.

P.S. Has anyone else noticed that those seem to be the least knowledgeable on something are usually the most opinionated?

If you are speaking of me, you are cordially invited to compare your financial education with mine anytime.

Last edited by mjbgalt; 11/30/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
Like so many other things, whether it is worth it varies upon the individual's circumstances. If you use a card once a week for gas, probably not. If you travel / entertain / etc often, it could be a bargain.

P.S. Has anyone else noticed that those seem to be the least knowledgeable on something are usually the most opinionated?

And this is no sleight against you...
But

I have to respectfully disagree with the PS part, when stupid old geezers open their pie hole and feel they need to contribute something and that contri is turdspeak....they need to be shut down and chased with a dull hoe.

Hence, they can go play on the “how to oil hinges” type threads.

That keeps the skipjack and chum busy.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I see there aren't many business owners here, even though everyone thinks they're so smart. Amex makes their money from the businesses that accept them. Ask me how I know. I finally started adding 3.5% to any bill paid with a C/C. Don't like it? Write me a check or hand me cash. My C/C fees used to run me 3-4k a month, now they are zero.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by mirage243
I see there aren't many business owners here, even though everyone thinks they're so smart. Amex makes their money from the businesses that accept them. Ask me how I know. I finally started adding 3.5% to any bill paid with a C/C. Don't like it? Write me a check or hand me cash. My C/C fees used to run me 3-4k a month, now they are zero.

Dats a smart man.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a gold AMEX. I just returned from a trip an hour ago. Used that card for everything. I think the gold is $99/yr which is negligible. I get Delta Airline points on that card, which just paid for my wife's trip to a family reunion. That's our "travel" card.

We each have VISA cards which we use for our personal expenses, and we pay all of them off in full every month. There's no haggling over who bought what, and we share household expenses on them. I seldom use cash for anything but I do keep some on me for emergencies.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Not to be argumentative, but you are just now becoming aware of credit card processing charges and their impact on your accounting?

That knowledge should have been acquired well before you established any inventory retail pricing.

Weigh out the impact of not accepting credit cards on your sales. Things get interesting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I watched a guy in front of me last year pay his property taxes with a credit card. He paid like an extra $1300. Which, that’s just the way it is. They county isn’t going to just eat the fees.

I thought dayum baller...you should write a check. Guess he didnt have the money

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Or he’s too stupid and just addicted to the points. Many can’t see the forest through the trees and pay more to use their card. But you could be right, he doesn’t have the cash. Lots of stupidity out there.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by WTM45

You are just now becoming aware of credit card processing charges and their impact on your accounting?

That knowledge should have been acquired well before you established any inventory retail pricing.

Weigh out the impact of not accepting credit cards on your sales. Things get interesting.

I been in business almost 30 years and have accepted almost zero new customers in over 5. I wish I'd have gotten up with you on how things were done before I started.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Lol wow. A schit fire like in the military

Last edited by mjbgalt; 11/30/21.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 3,199 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,528
Posts18,452,881
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.