Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Battue would probably really lose his [bleep] to know I have access to close to 70 tags a year to kill deer during the summer. and am expected by those farmers to punch a large number of those tags. he has probably never seen the damage done to a corn or soybean field by herd of deer, damage that deeply costs the farmer.

Lisa Williams research on WNV and Grouse is excellent. that doenst take away from the fact that Early successional forests, largely stemming from clearcutting are critical to off ther food resources grouse need. in fact its quite likely that lack ofquality forage is a driving factor in the succeptability to WNV. as evidenced by PGCs decision to shut down the december grouse season. along with research showing that the birds making it through hard winters show more resiliance to WNV. hmm, I wonder if quality food has anything to do with that robustness.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You are just a killing machine....What does it take to satisfy your lust....I've lived in the country...so am familiar with what goes on.

Anyway, any think Does are not taking a pounding....One processor on the way. And he doesn't even come close to getting them all from around his area...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

This is when I drove past in the morning.....The pile was twice as big on the way home...

Last edited by battue; 11/30/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Anyway, again....The Does were hanging out in this hollow last night, so I gave it another look this afternoon...

Came out after 1.5hours on the end of a rope...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
Anyway, again....The Does were hanging out in this hollow last night, so I gave it another look this afternoon...

Came out after 1.5hours on the end of a rope...

Congrats, man!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by moosemike
I missed a Doe today and snuck up on three large Bull Elk and took some grainy pics with my junk Samsung Android phone. The Elk had me feeling on top of the World but missing the Doe right at dark kind of deflated me. First shot I got at a deer this Rifle season. This was in Karthaus PA

Interesting side trip around Karthaus….

https://uncoveringpa.com/jet-bunkers-quehanna-wild-area

Those are cool. I never walked back to the bunkers but I've been to the Reactor site

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
And congrats on the buck battue!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank you!!!!

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Well done Harry

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nice Buck Congrads!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bbassi
Ted I didn't end up filling my tag. I had a real nice one Saturday morning bumping does around me, but the one time I had him close he was behind me and caught me trying to get the gun up. I never saw a deer Sunday. There are not a lot of deer back in there. I feel pretty lucky just to get an opportunity there. I did pull a camera I had placed 7/24. It had 189 pictures up to 11/5 when apparently the batteries died. I had it on a huge scrape I found on top of a nob way back in. Does were on it right after I put it up, but no bucks until 10/11. Several turkeys, a coyote and a boo boo bear. Probably 12 different bucks on that scrape. This was the best one. Not bad for a mountain deer with zero agriculture.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You had a camera on a scrape on July 24th? Was it a scrape still visible from last year?

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Nice buck Battue - how did you shoot it without a bolt😁

What rifle/cartridge?

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 11/30/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I was hunting cold!!!! grin (Actually I was when moving....didn't find it any problem. However, I was taking an evening stand when this one came by, and had one in the chamber. But I don't think it would have made any difference.)

Nula 7mm-08 140gr Accubond handload at around 70 yards...

I seldom drink, but always say a thank you prayer and have some grain for a Pa Buck....He had found some of the same also...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][

Last edited by battue; 11/30/21.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
battue 300 Savage?

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not this time...the Nula 7mm-08 got the call...

The Montana .300 Savage stock developed a crack and needs to be looked at.

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Originally Posted by bbassi
Ted I didn't end up filling my tag. I had a real nice one Saturday morning bumping does around me, but the one time I had him close he was behind me and caught me trying to get the gun up. I never saw a deer Sunday. There are not a lot of deer back in there. I feel pretty lucky just to get an opportunity there. I did pull a camera I had placed 7/24. It had 189 pictures up to 11/5 when apparently the batteries died. I had it on a huge scrape I found on top of a nob way back in. Does were on it right after I put it up, but no bucks until 10/11. Several turkeys, a coyote and a boo boo bear. Probably 12 different bucks on that scrape. This was the best one. Not bad for a mountain deer with zero agriculture.

You had a camera on a scrape on July 24th? Was it a scrape still visible from last year?

sure was. It's been under that hemlock for as many years as I've been poking around up there. Usually it's the size of a bathtub but this year for some reason there were 2 smaller scrapes on either side. I can only imagine the pics I missed because of that. You can see it off the tip of this bucks right antler. (and BTW I put it up in July because we were down there riding the ATV trail system that's open on the state forest 6/1-9/30. It's a lot shorter walk in with stuff that way)

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

C
CBB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Not trying to answer for bbasi but I run cameras on scrapes year round. The key is to find community scrapes that are in high travel areas that are used by multiple bucks.

Multiple licking branches, sometimes 1 big scrape with several smaller scrapes to the side, the scrapes are used every year and year round.

While the bucks don't always paw the ground and urinate in them they travel through. They will work the licking branch in summer. They are a great spot to find what bucks survived after season as well.

Hunt...
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Interesting. That’s cool stuff guys. Thanks.

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Great job battue!!

Molon Labe
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks, especially appreciated coming from those who know Pa Deer hunting!!!!!

Last edited by battue; 12/02/21.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Nice Mr Battue !!

Had to pull our last one out with a snow machine !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
683 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.