Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I am old, but have reached this point and hope I never do... I think if I had just hunted with the .30-06, I would have quit long ago...

Shidt, I would've hunted just as much had I been forced to use a 12 gauge slug. I like hunting more than guns

I’m more of a gun nut that hunts.

DF

I'd hunt just as much if I never owned a gun again and had to use my Bow for everything

BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I am old, but have reached this point and hope I never do... I think if I had just hunted with the .30-06, I would have quit long ago...

Shidt, I would've hunted just as much had I been forced to use a 12 gauge slug. I like hunting more than guns

I’m more of a gun nut that hunts.

DF

I'd hunt just as much if I never owned a gun again and had to use my Bow for everything

Now, that’s a real hunter.

To me, hunting is the testing ground for my gun projects.

Different strokes.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup. Different strokes

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
60 yo here. For me, 2 308’s (a lightweight Kimber MT and midweight Winchester 70), a Ruger 77/22, Ruger 4” 357 Security Six, and Remington 870 12ga are all the firearms I’ll ever need.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Brad
60 yo here. For me, 2 308’s (a lightweight Kimber MT and midweight Winchester 70), a Ruger 77/22, Ruger 4” 357 Security Six, and Remington 870 12ga are all the firearms I’ll ever need.

“Need” not a good Loony word.

But I understand your point.

DF

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brad

“Need” not a good Loony word.

But I understand your point.

DF

I have all those for myself, and a couple of 6.5 CM’s, 22lr’s, and Glock 9mm for my kids. Dats it.

I’m over firearms…

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t think 7ea 30-06’s are too much!
But I worry that there are rifles in the safe that didn’t get to go hunting yet.
Next one out will be the 300 H&H.
I need to acquire and hunt with some older (100+ Year) cartridges.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bluefish
I think I could get by with my 7x57 and 9.3x62. Everywhere.

That's a tough to beat combo.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
Originally Posted by bluefish
I think I could get by with my 7x57 and 9.3x62. Everywhere.

That's a tough to beat combo.

+1

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed,took a while to get there but about ten years ago I decided a 22RF, a 223 and a 30-06 were all I needed for hunting. I've still got three Mausers, a 6.5 Swede a 95 Chilean 7x57, a 8mm 98k and a No 4 Enfield. I use them for informal paper target and steel plate shooting. Still got a few handguns but could easily get by with a Glock 19 and a Buckmark. Shotguns are a 12, 20 and 28. Most of my hunting anymore is late season doves & valley quail with the 28..

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Interesting to read and take in what you guys are saying. My father started my love of firearms at a young age. Spent my weekends watching him shoot trap and skeet with his model 12’s and hunt rabbits with his Parker and Fox side by sides. None of which were collector grade, just field grade working guns. Parents gave me a chipmunk 22LR for my fifth birthday and a 870LW Wingmaster 20ga three barrel set for my sixth birthday. Dad gave in a few years later and let me have his Winchester 43 in 218 Bee for groundhog hunting. Received a Remington 700 270 Winchester for a birthday around the age of 10. Used those guns until I had my own means of income to buy others.

Approaching my late 30’s and a few guns later, I realize my old man was setting me up to save money for hunting trips and not guns. However we all know how that works out for guys like us.I have a 5 year old son and began buying him guns before he was born. Hopefully he will share some of the same memories I experienced growing up. My father turns 70 in a couple weeks. Over the past ten years he has resorted back to using the same few rifles/shotguns he used when he was my age.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’m in the same boat as most of you. I enjoy the search, the load development, the range trips, the hunts and dreams of hunts to come. Bottom line, I just really like firearms. But, hypothetically if I had to sell I could get by with just the bear minimum. I’ll tell you what though, the few that I would have would be some of the finest rifles, shotguns, and pistols you could buy! All the money I’d earn from the sells would go right back into the few.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I'm a youngin at 62. I have many firearms that mean something to me and several that are tools. I bought a PA10 in .308 last year after getting out of the hospital after sixteen days because of covid. I finally took it hunting and took my largest ever WT a couple of weeks ago. I can't see it ever being any more than a tool but who knows. I'm always looking for something else to buy.

I have been a gun guy since I was five and will be until I die.

Last edited by EIB0879; 11/27/21.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My first rifle cartridge was a 308 Winchester in 1978. I still use it and have yet to find any good reason to change. I have others that are toys, that’s all.

I killed my first deer with my father's Marlin .30-30, before getting a Savage 99 .308, which I used on my next several deer. It shot VERY well, considering my age and a 4x scope, putting three factory loads into an inch or so at 100 yards. Wish I'd kept it--took a while before I realized how well the .308 works on a wide variety of big game.

Have certainly grieved the self-inflicted loss of some favorite rifles.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I can relate to that frame of mind. I don’t look as much for a particular firearm. But, visiting firearm emporiums regularly, they seem to find me. I still enjoy different rifles and cartridges.

Originally Posted by EIB0879
I'm a youngin at 62. I have many firearms that mean something to me and several that are tools. I bought a PA10 in .308 last year after getting out of the hospital after sixteen days because of covid. I finally took it hunting and took my largest ever WT a couple of weeks ago. I can't see it ever being any more than a tool but who knows. I'm always looking for something else to buy.

I have been a gun guy since I was five and will be until I die.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
While viewing this thread I stopped and did a quick and dirty count of the different cartridges/chamberings for which I've reloaded. I counted 93. I've got the complete upper and two different types of bullet, and when the dies and brass get here for the 350 Legend I'm assembling, that will be 94 (subject to those i've forgot).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'll be 70 on the 21 of December. Lately I've been thinking about paring down my collection of rifles and knives.

Guess I'm getting old!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 11/29/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Geedubya,

What? No 375 Ruger?

You’re not done yet my friend.

And you really need a 404 Jeffery…

Life is short. Live it up. It’s only money.

Seriously, you have a fine collection! (But I am also serious about the 375 Ruger & 404 Jeffery.🙂).

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I see two camps on this thread: hunters & gun nuts. Both, are my type of guys (and gals)!

If I had to throw myself into one group or the other, I guess I’m mostly a gun nut, but I love to hunt.

I hunt Moose, Elk, Deer, and Pronghorns in CO & WY. I just returned from my 10th safari in Africa a few days ago, hunting Lion, Buffalo, Hippo, Crock, Eland, Hyena, Kudu and Warthog in the Luangwa Valley of Zambia. I also hunt birds with my Springer Spaniels and I was a field trial gunner for 25 years. So, I really like to hunt/shoot.

But, I own a little under 200 rifles, about 30 shotguns and maybe 50 handguns. Yeah, I’d have to admit to being more of a gun looney.

I’m 70, and like many of you, I am contemplating ‘the end ‘, wondering what to do with my collection. I have no children to pass them on to, so I suppose I’ll just enjoy them to the very end, and then let my wife or remaining family sell them and enjoy the money. It’s just too hard to part with a lifelong passion of collecting and the joy they bring me, whether in the field, or just holding and admiring them in my gun room. And I don’t need the money that I would realize from their sale. I would just feel empty.

Last edited by surefire7; 12/01/21. Reason: Mixed numbers
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
As a wore out old man, I will continue to hunt with wore out old rifles and guns. Until I’m a wore out old dead man.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by surefire7
I see two camps on this thread: hunters & gun nuts. Both, are my type of guys (and gals)!

If I had to throw myself into one group or the other, I guess I’m mostly a gun nut, but I love to hunt.

I hunt Moose, Elk, Deer, and Pronghorns in CO & WY. I just returned from my 10th safari in Africa a few days ago, hunting Lion, Buffalo, Hippo, Crock, Eland, Hyena, Kudu and Warthog in the Luangwa Valley of Zambia. I also hunt birds with my Springer Spaniels and I was a field trial gunner for 25 years. So, I really like to hunt/shoot.

But, I own a little under 200 rifles, about 30 shotguns and maybe 50 handguns. Yeah, I’d have to admit to being more of a gun looney.

I’m 70, and like many of you, I am contemplating ‘the end ‘, wondering what to do with my collection. I have no children to pass them on to, so I suppose I’ll just enjoy them to the very end, and then let my wife or remaining family sell them and enjoy the money. It’s just too hard to part with a lifelong passion of collecting and the joy they bring me, whether in the field, or just holding and admiring them in my gun room. And I don’t need the money that I would realize from their sale. I would just feel empty.

Hero!!!!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 74 invisible), 2,744 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,051
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.