24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
OP Offline
F
I have a buddy who started duck hunting with me and is addicted. He wants a cheap started shotgun as we are pretty hard on them. I've seen plenty of new duck hunters start with a Benneli SBE which I think is silly. 10 years ago I would have told him to go to Walmart or Academy and buy an 870 for $200. Now, Walmart doesn't sell guns in Jacksonville and Academy doesn't have any guns.
What do you all think is a readily available starter shotgun at a cheap price price?

Brevity is the soul of wit
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Here's my opinion: I don't believe in "starter" guns unless they are scaled or intended for a kid. He should buy the best he can afford, learn to shoot it, and especially learn to care for it. On the inexpensive side, I'd look at the Browning BPS (pump) line. If the BPS is too much, then the Benelli SuperNova is a great gun (they're about $100 less than the BPS). If he can afford more, one of Browning's, Winchester's, Beretta's or Benelli's semi-auto would be fine. I see no sense in buying a "cheap" gun unless it's going to get stored behind the seat in some pickup or stowed in some boat for occassional, incidental use.

https://ammoandarmsstore.com/20115/
https://ammoandarmsstore.com/012287204/

https://ammoandarmsstore.com/j32tm18/
https://ammoandarmsstore.com/011419204/

Of course, he can spend more. But these are relatively inexpensive, but very servicable and reliable guns.

I've owned a number of Remington 870s in the past, and while they functioned fine, some of the blued one tended to rust somewhat quickly after a day or wet, cold hunting. More so that any BPS or Benelli I've ever had. I don't know why but it was hard not to notice.

Last edited by 10Glocks; 11/21/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The day that I left Vietnam back in 1970, I ordered my first shotgun, a Miroku O/U with fixed Mod and Full chokes. When I got home I joined a local Trap club to learn how to shoot it, and I quickly became an avid duck and upland bird hunter. As my Trap and later Skeet shooting progressed into serious competitions, I bought more shotguns just for my competition shooting, but I kept the Miroku for bird hunting.

Then in the early '90s I saw a black Rem 870 on sale and bought it along with an extra skeet choke. Although I still like to walk cornfields pheasant hunting with my O/U, that 870 became my primary field gun.

Since the early '80s I've shot Trap or Skeet at our local range at least one day a week, every week that I'm home. Especially just before hunting season I see a lot of "once a year" shooters at our range. We only sell Target Load shells at our Skeet range, and I often see these "occasional" shooters having problems with their semi-auto guns, especially with light target loads. It could be due to a lack of cleaning.

As a long time O/U shooter my biggest problem with my 870 is to remember to pump it for the second bird in doubles. Otherwise I think that an 870 (or a good condition used Model 12 Win) makes a great inexpensive first shotgun, and not a bad choice for veteran shooters.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see no reason to start with a cheap gun that might fail and give trouble and disappoint a new hunter.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
S
I have a flock of shotguns, but for waterfowl shooting, I have a Benelli Nova in camo finish. It's reliable and economical - I don't worry about the weather.
Help your friend to try shotguns until he has one that fits him.

IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
You can stick stuff like shell box flaps between stock and receiver and tape on some foam to any shotgun. I did that with my old Mossberg I could never hit much with. It works. I'd have him try different ones including used in his budget and finish the fitting with the box flap pipe insulation method.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by FloridaMan27
I have a buddy who started duck hunting with me and is addicted. He wants a cheap started shotgun as we are pretty hard on them. I've seen plenty of new duck hunters start with a Benneli SBE which I think is silly. 10 years ago I would have told him to go to Walmart or Academy and buy an 870 for $200. Now, Walmart doesn't sell guns in Jacksonville and Academy doesn't have any guns.
What do you all think is a readily available starter shotgun at a cheap price price?

And 10 years later, you can buy an 870 off one of the gun sites for $495-$595. Same shotgun, few starters will be it's equal at that price.

laissez les bons temps rouler
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Remington or Mossberg.... 870 etc. Both will outlast you or him

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go with the 870. Talk to any hardcore waterfowler and they all have one in the safe as a "backup" for when things go wrong with their most recent favorite or as a loaner gun.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
870 is hard to beat but, you might find a 1100 for about the same money (used of course)

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Benelli Nova Pump would work

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
139 members (10Glocks, 2UP, 300_savage, 257 mag, 160user, 35, 12 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,778
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.