Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
We had a great time taking "The Warden"s grandmother to the Balloon Fiesta in ABQ - back in the mid-eighties.
She oooooohed and aaaaahhed all day!
Born 1896 - died 2000 - age 104.
Used to hear stories of living in a half-dugout, wagon travel, cooking over "BS coal", and many more.
She shot her father-in-law, just "winged him", though. Didn't WANT to kill him, just make a point!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Hot N Now .39 cent burgers and .86 cents a gallon gas in the early 90’s. My parents would sometimes go away for the weekend and leave me with food in the fridge, a $50 and whatever money I had from my minimum wage $4.25 per hour after school job. I had money to burn riding around with buddies on a Friday or Saturday.

Lucky badstid.

Couldn’t wait for them to be gone for the weekend! My son is 18 but riding around for him and his buddies on weekends while he was in HS never seemed like a big deal to them. Growing up pre cellphones and internet we lived for riding around and checking out the local spots that kids met up at to flirt do bonfires and get into typical HS age trouble.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by skfullen
My grandmother marveled everytime an airplane flew over. She lived 1908-1990.

I still remember her saying, "look,an airplane!". I said, "yeah", nonchalantly. She said, "well, I remember when there weren't any!"

My grandmother lived from 1910 to 2008. Hell of a ride, from horse drawn wagons and no electricity in dirt poor NE TX to seeing a man land on the moon to www.

WWII, Korea, Kennedy, 'nam, Watergate, Desert storm, 9/11...pretty wild

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 12/01/21.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Remember 18 cent regular gas 22 cent high test, 8 cent propane, nickle Coke a Cola, in the green bottle,.22 LR 18 cents a box of 50, 410 2 1/2" $1.25 for a box of 25 # 6s,, remember cash only no checks, AM radio only at night , no FM any time and no T.V. Good Hay 25 cents a bale. Rio7

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad 1916-2001. His immigrant parents had a hardware/furniture store in eastern AZ. They used to haul goods from Phoenix on Model A or T trucks, I'm not sure which, over mountain dirt roads. Had to camp out along the way because it was a 2 day drive (now its 3-4 hrs) One of the best stories he told me was about having to put a loaded truck in reverse and back up through the steep mountain grades because 1st gear wasnt low enough.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

AZmark, The Model T And A, didn't have a fuel pump, they were gravity fed from a gas tank in the fire wall, when the going got steep you turned them around to make the gas get to the engine. Rio7

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
When I was a kid we had to eat Tide right out of the box,....didn't have any fancy "Pods"....

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Cars and tractors that had ignition points. In a pinch, you could set the gap with a matchbook.

No transistors. All electronics were vacuum tube, and a TV cost about $650 of that era's dollars.

Only the rich could afford a private telephone line. The rest of us had the party line.

Pretty much all the cars got around 15-16 miles per gallon.

Be not weary in well doing.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Hell, I made stove top popcorn in a frying pan this evening. I remember when all the planes had propellers and I'd run outside to see them fly over. I still do when I hear a rotary plane engine.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RIO7

AZmark, The Model T And A, didn't have a fuel pump, they were gravity fed from a gas tank in the fire wall, when the going got steep you turned them around to make the gas get to the engine. Rio7

OK..then thats probably what they were doing. Its been a long time since he told me that story.

Wife got one of those old wooden ice boxes for furniture in our house...my dad told me "Yeah I remember when gas refrigerators came out and we had a bunch of those old wood ice boxes in stock and of course they wouldnt sell so my Grandpa loaded them all up on a truck and we hauled them to the dump. Theyre worth hundreds today.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Back when you walked the side of the road looking for coke bottles to take back to the store for the deposit.
Back when your phone had party lines and a rotary dial
Back when cars had spot lights on them.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ltppowell
"Even before emails." I heard that today.

Damn.

Remember that teletype machine in the dispatch office? smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hudson 7 2936......my Grandparents phone number.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I still remember her saying, "look,an airplane!". I said, "yeah", nonchalantly. She said, "well, I remember when there weren't any!"

Good one.

I remember when there weren't any as well.

Right after the 9/11 terror attacks.

The skies were eerily quiet.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My mom can recall the throbbing sound of Luftwaffe bombers, the sounds of bombs impacting, and the time a German plane buzzed the playground she was at without strafing. Her dad was a fireman.

My Ex MiL, whom I still speak to regularly, witnessed the Bataan Death March as a little girl, spent the war with her family hiding in the jungle while her father fought with the guerillas.

They both had eventful childhoods.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
My mom can recall the throbbing sound of Luftwaffe bombers, the sounds of bombs impacting, and the time a German plane buzzed the playground she was at without strafing. Her dad was a fireman.

My Ex MiL, whom I still speak to regularly, witnessed the Bataan Death March as a little girl, spent the war with her family hiding in the jungle while her father fought with the guerillas.

They both had eventful childhoods.

Ahhh....the good ole days....

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I think people who were born around the turn of the 20th century saw the most staggering amount of change ever. Their lives were much more similar to those of ancient times than similar to ours today.

The big thing in my lifetime has of course been the tech gadgets but its not the same as getting climate control, electricity, indoor plumbing, cars, air travel, television/radio, telephone, etc. My parents were born in 1932-33 and still used a kerosene lamp to do homework after dark, parents had wood stove and fireplace, out house....and of course no AC and living in South Georgia.

In most ways, these are the best days ever......if it were not for liberal idiots/globalists trying to ruin everything. Only thing I would like to have back from the "good old days" would be the undeveloped Georgia coast and South Carolina low country.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A period of time before there was the internet, Jim Bowie knives became fashionable among young men. Unlike ordinary knives, these knives served primarily as tools to kill other young men should the need arise. They were male ego items, and as such were often expensive, showy, and worn in plain sight for all to see. Said knife said to the world “Do not mess with me. If I wanted I could kill you.” The usual sort of guy stuff.

There’s a famous Historian, Hank Williams Jr. who used to tell about what young men did before they had the internet and smart phones to occupy their time: Turns out young men would get together with their rowdy friends, go into town, and drink whiskey.

Across the South especially at this time, young men came from a culture where they could be rather easily provoked.

Young men easily provoked, alcohol, and now they were showing up with big honking Jim Bowie knives on their belts for all to see.

The result was predictable; a wave of senseless knife violence swept the South, young men in the flower of their youth being struck down in stupid drunken brawls. What did this epidemic of senseless knife violence result in?

Knife Control, of course.

In 1839 Georgia, Tennesse and Kentucky all outlawed the carrying of Jim Bowie knives, (which is why there are no Jim Bowie knives in those States today). These laws did not to the best of my knowledge specify what features made a Jim Bowie knife a Jim Bowie knife, nor address the fact that a plain ol’ kitchen knife could also be used to kill people.

If them young men back them woulda had video games and smartphones this all would likely of never happened.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Want to get an awful puzzled look? Just give a kid a book for Christmas this year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I tell people I’m from the 1900’s

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
637 members (09wingates, 219 Wasp, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,601
Posts18,398,282
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.