Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Im 51 years old and have just purchased my first 99. One of those "always thought they were sweet", but never bought one guns. So, my buddy bought this 99c brand new(years ago). It started life as a 308 Winchester. Sometime in the eighties, he had Dave Morin(Chicago area)rebarrel it to 358 Win with a Shilen. Then added a Decelerator pad.

Then he bought another 358, and this rifle has sat in the safe until he put it into my hands. I took it to the range and put about 10 rounds through it. It held a quarter sized group at 100 yds with a 250 grain Speer. I honestly couldn't be happier with this rifle, even though it's not all original. It will make a great woods, and short field gun.

Now, for the questions. Lol. Do most 99's feel sticky when closing the bolt(at the end of the lever cycle)? This one does. I'm going to take it apart and give it a good cleaning with Eezox. I'm hoping that's all she needs. But, if there's anything else that I can do to "slick it up", I'm open to suggestions from you guys that know. Also, is there a good book that I could buy pertaining to 99's? Any help is appreciated!

Here are a couple of pictures

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is usually a little more resistence at the end of the cycle getting the bolt locked up. If it's extra sticky it may just need a good cleaning.

I have a Shilen barrel on my 35 Rem EG. Scarry accurate.

That will make a great woods and truck gun with that Leupold.

Good luck and post a picture if you kill something with it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 99guy
There is usually a little more resistence at the end of the cycle getting the bolt locked up. If it's extra sticky it may just need a good cleaning.

I have a Shilen barrel on my 35 Rem EG. Scarry accurate.

That will make a great woods and truck gun with that Leupold.

Good luck and post a picture if you kill something with it.

Thanks, will do

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
And so it begins...

You do realize, that you are now on a path of no return.

Browse the threads here, a couple of members have excellent books to help with your new addiction. David's and Calhoun's books are excellent references to start with.

Visit here often, as we can assist with your 99 therapy.

Welcome to the Campfire!

Blitz

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes, Calhoun's, David Royal's, and Murray's books are all required reading. Get them, digest them, and be prepared to sit for an exam next month. It'll be a written exam and the results will be posted for all to see. If our panhandling efforts, windshield squeegee operations, and Nigerian Prince scams pay off this Christmas season we will have the funds to send Rory (Calhoun) to your house to administer an oral exam too, and then swear you into The Society of Lost Souls (also known as Society of Savage 99 Loonies). Good luck!

I think one more book needs to be written to include detailed chapters in maintenance, preservation, modifications, ammunition needs/loading, scopes/sights, etc. The history and models of Savage lever guns is now pretty well covered with exacting thoroughness, but all the stuff I mentioned is still in the realm of oral history, so to speak, spoken of and then lost in the wind - only to be repeated again when someone asks the same repetitive questions, and answered again, and again lost in the wind.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Murray's is the best book and the one I'd stick with. Enjoy the rifle

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Murray's has been proven to be erroneous enough and incomplete enough so as to have instigated a couple newer books. Not to take anything away from Murray - he was a groundbreaker in the subject and would've surely updated/amended his epochal work as new/more accurate information came to light, had he lived to see it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
very nice

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Savage 99's cock as they are closed. So yes, it will be "stiffer" or "stickier" as the bolt closes that final bit because that's when the firing pin/spring are set. And if it's only had a few rounds fired through it, it might just still be a bit stiff.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Good info here, now I guess I need to find one in a classic cartridge! (After Christmas, of course)! Lol

Looks like I just need to take it out and break it in. Heading up to see if I can find a set of dies today.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You are in a heap of trouble, more 99’s will show up.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats on your nice rifle.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Murray's has been proven to be erroneous enough and incomplete enough so as to have instigated a couple newer books. Not to take anything away from Murray - he was a groundbreaker in the subject and would've surely updated/amended his epochal work as new/more accurate information came to light, had he lived to see it.

Ok, still doesn't change my opinion. A lot of people have done good work off of his back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Ok, still doesn't change my opinion. A lot of people have done good work off of his back.

Do you have David or my book's? Just curious.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Good flintlocks and Savage 99s. A VERY promiscuous pair...

Last edited by Muddly; 12/02/21.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
send $60 to David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941 for a signed and inscribed copy of my book. I haven't looked lately but there are reviews on amazon. You can also get it cheaper there but not signed and inscribed and will be helping a destitute author continue with his addictions (Savage 99's and old Fords) if you buy from me. the books name is "A Collectors Guide to the Savage 99 Rifle and its Predecessors the Models 1895 and 1899." Thanks, David Royal

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m new to the Savage community. I simply knew that I wanted a 99, but lacked to knowledge to know precisely what I wanted. I was advised to buy David’s book and did so.

The book opened the world of 99s to me - explaining stock shapes, both butt stocks and fore ends. Takedowns were introduced. Butt plates were discussed. Not to mention fully round barrels, fully octagonal barrels and a half-octagon. Rotary magazines vs clips. Curved lever vs straight lever. Many pictures to illustrate precisely what was being discussed.

This newfound knowledge enabled me to have a little bit of smarts and decide what I wanted for my first purchase.

There is a lot of knowledge to be gained from this community. Even while I was at the Tulsa show, the Savage campfire guys there were advising me about a gun I ultimately purchased.

So pleased to have this book. I think you will be too. About three weeks ago, I picked up Calhoun’s pocket guide - another treasure trove of information.

Get ‘em both.

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter

Do you have David or my book's? Just curious.

Yes

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 42 invisible), 2,672 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,290
Posts18,467,910
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.