Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I don’t consider electronics to be durable goods, in any form; phones, tvs, computers, any of it. I buy expecting a reasonable service life, hoping the item lasts until I decide to upgrade, and if a company honors the original warranty as stated at the time of purchase, they’ve kept their word. Offering a lifetime warranty on stuff that is likely going to fail at some point is a sales tool, a business decision that they’re betting will pay more than it costs.

So, did the rangefinder last through the promised warranty period, or did they change their policy after the sale? IIRC, electronics in Leupold products have had a limited warranty period for a long time, which is also the case for most companies.

Shush!

We are busy scolding!

I am MAGA.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh boy, just what we need, another Leupold hate thread. Well, I had a set of Leica range finding binoculars that crapped out after two years or so. Went back to Leica and they got fixed, then came back with a piece of rubber in the lens. Thankfully, Doug from Cameraland stepped in and got me a new replacement. Electronics aren't forever, folks...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Leica, worth the money to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I don’t consider electronics to be durable goods, in any form; phones, tvs, computers, any of it. I buy expecting a reasonable service life, hoping the item lasts until I decide to upgrade, and if a company honors the original warranty as stated at the time of purchase, they’ve kept their word. Offering a lifetime warranty on stuff that is likely going to fail at some point is a sales tool, a business decision that they’re betting will pay more than it costs.

So, did the rangefinder last through the promised warranty period, or did they change their policy after the sale? IIRC, electronics in Leupold products have had a limited warranty period for a long time, which is also the case for most companies.

Shush!

We are busy scolding!

Sorry. Despite my best efforts, the Ugly Head of Reason occasionally raises up.

I did manage to refrain from asking why he was doing the bitching instead of his brother…Oops!

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Shush!

We are busy scolding!

I did manage to refrain from asking why he was doing the bitching instead of his brother…Oops!

My brother is not a member of 24hr CF forums. I don't know when he bought it and how long he had it. I know it didn't work on our Antelope hunt several weeks back. Thought I would mention it, in case someone else was looking for a range finder, this might be a heads up for then to consider another manufacturer. I didn't realize so many would be upset with my post. I guess I should be ashamed for not knowing all the rules of etiquette here. Thank you all for your kind words.

futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Gosh my Leupold RX-650 has worked fine for years and it's been dropped 18' out of a treestand and fell out of my pocket while hunting and spent two days/nights outdoors on the ground before my hunting partners son in law stumbled across it while hunting. Guess I'm just lucky.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Originally Posted by barm
I bought a Leica from Cameraland NY instead. Thank you, Doug.

I did the same. Got the 2800 and it’s performance is remarkable.

I will do the same when my 16 year old leica takes a crap.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have a Leica, worth the money to me.

+1

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Coyotejunki

Shush!

We are busy scolding!

My brother is not a member of 24hr CF forums. I don't know when he bought it and how long he had it. I know it didn't work on our Antelope hunt several weeks back. Thought I would mention it, in case someone else was looking for a range finder, this might be a heads up for then to consider another manufacturer. I didn't realize so many would be upset with my post. I guess I should be ashamed for not knowing all the rules of etiquette here. Thank you all for your kind words.

Recommend a rangefinder that is long out of production?

Can I get a warrantee on my VCR?

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I bought a jacket from Wrangler 38 years ago and the zipper just failed.

The bastards said they don't warranty them no more!

If that ain't corporate greed I don't know what is.

Were they using YKK zippers way back then, or their own versions?

Can't get nothing that lasts any more.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad

No schit.

And you know what? Them bastards didnt even offer to buy me a new jacket. So I says to them I says.....Well, give me another one like it.

They then says that they havent made that jacket for 27 years.

Fine customer service I say!

Whoopity Sheesh!

I am MAGA.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bushnell 800. Would read 4-450 on it's best day. A year from new it fell apart inside. Bushnell said they only warranted for 2 years & mine was over 5 YO & had been dropped from from a high place. Told them different, new from a reputable catalog seller one year ago & I don't do high places. Offered to sell me a new one at heap big discount which was more than Cabela's ask for one. Thanks but no thanks. They ask what I wanted them to do with old unrepairable one? I ask; you really want me to answer that? Bout 4 months later got a new 1000 Arc in the mail. No invoice, thank you/GFY note or nothing. It will read 550 on it's best day.

Told friend story. He said Bushnell told him that his warranty void cause his bad one had been subjected to extreme cold temps. Said he called them liars as he lived in Ky., & KY's coldest temp for 2 years had been 13, hadn't traveled with it & he didn't keep it in the fugging deep freeze. They got an FU from him.

I have an old Leica 900 that's working marginally & no longer warranted. And, a Swarovski that still works great, but it is no longer warranted & I paid a pile for it.

As the world turns, the daily life of electronics. My Ranging 1000 not as accurate, but is over 25 YO & still going strong. No batteries required.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My brother bought a Laser range finder the I 1000 I think? Anyways the LED's inside stopped working so he can't see the numbers. He sent it back to Leupold for repairs they sent it back saying they don't warrentee them anymore. Guess it is time to buy the vortex or chinese stuff with lifetime warrentees.

Just about a crap shoot with anything electronical nowadays. Guess I'm lucky, I think I've got some sort of Bushnell or what not, that's going on 10 years old, and it was still working last year. Didn't hunt this year, so I'm not sure if it works anymore. It's only good out to 600 yards or so also.

Bought a homeowner weather station 4 years or so back. Rain gauge reads sometimes, others not, I even moved it closer to the house to see if the radio waves would have an easier time getting to the indoor receiver. No luck. I think I'm going back to analog and get one of those glass tubes that fill up and you have to read and record it by hand, like in the horse and buggy days even.

Radio in the 20 year old truck died a few years back, haven't replaced it yet. Outside of having to replace a vacuum tube now and again, the radio in the '54 Chevy that was my first car was still working when I sold it at 33 years old. They just don't make them like they used to.

Good luck with finding a model that suits y'all's needs and lasts more than a couple of years.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad

No schit.

And you know what? Them bastards didnt even offer to buy me a new jacket. So I says to them I says.....Well, give me another one like it.

They then says that they havent made that jacket for 27 years.

Fine customer service I say!

Whoopity Sheesh!

"Whoppity Sheesh!"

gotta remember that one. It's like Sheesh, on steeroids!

In it is contentment

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L

That don't happen with hoodies. Just saying.....

Last edited by las; 12/02/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My scopes and 800i still work fine.

I will not use Redfield nor Bushnell products. Ever again.

Last edited by las; 12/02/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Your local TV repairman should be able to help you out.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Well thanks for all the direction. Wrangler jackets, TV repairman, VCR help. LOL Guess I f'd up by not asking him how old it was. I thought it was new. I have the Sig and it still works fine. I thought Leupy had a lifetime warrentee, guess I was wrong there too. laugh

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Stickfight
vortex or chinese stuff

Vortex IS chinese stuff.

Exactly.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Again I guess I should have added "vortex or other chinese stuff"

I am told Vortex has a lifetime warranty, either way not going to lose any sleep over it. Not my problem

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (5sdad, 673, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,907 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.