Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 12/02/21.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lets see. Diesel fuel is $4/gal. A deuce gets 4 mpg downhill.....

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
But a novelty hunting camp... priceless! Lol! And not something you see every day anymore. Just thought it interesting that someone has 2 of these things...

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd pay the fuel cost. Those things were solid.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They remind me of the annette island road mission. We lived oughtta the fkn things, building a road cross that torrrential rain sht hole.

They packed a little over 100 of us Army engineers onto a landing craft, and boated us over there like a heard of cattle.

I hate them. Climbing a mountain pass on the island, caught on fire with at least 16 troops in the back and we lost brakes

I came as close to dying in one of those, as in iraq.

Fk those ancient things.......

Our work trucks all through the war, were lmtvs with good ole CAT engines and i believe allison autos.

I used to flogg the fk out of those on FT richardson AK, turning on the 6 wheel drive and airing down the c.t.i.s to x terrain.

Above one ton pick up, especially with the inflated costs of used trucks, the LMTV would make a great firewood truck.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 12/04/21.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow! I think that if I was man enough for one of those things, my wife's toes would tingle just looking at me.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

The originals could burn almost anything including used motor oil, I’d take that over diesel right now!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Joel/AK
I'd pay the fuel cost. Those things were solid.

Yup. Not for commuting.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dntnddb

The originals could burn almost anything including used motor oil, I’d take that over diesel right now!
When I was in the Nat Guard many years ago, they often called them multi-fuelers. However, they didn't spread the word of exactly which fuels you could use. The rumor got going that they'd also burn gasoline. I know some guys filled one with gas but luckily that time someone who knew about such things got to them before they started it up.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lets see. Diesel fuel is $4/gal.

The good ol' days.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I filled up a few days ago at $4 at Walmart. Today they increased it to $5.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
On the way home from hunting a few years ago I got stuck behind a couple old boys in an old Deuce. Looked like a pretty well set up camp. I was towing, so not setting any speed records, but that thing couldn't even get out of its own way. Oh well, they looked like they were having fun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When I was in the NG in the 70's, we were at summer camp in the Idaho desert which is far from flat. Some of the guys got in a climbing contest with a 1/4 ton, a 3/4 ton, and a deuce. The deuce, with 10 wheels grabbing and turning, walked away from the smaller two. I say 'walked away' because in low gears, they sure aren't running.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
But a novelty hunting camp... priceless! Lol! And not something you see every day anymore. Just thought it interesting that someone has 2 of these things...

I saw a post on another forum where some bozo bought a friggin' Gamma Goat and was bragging about it. I well remember the Goats, and there was never a worse POS than those things. Ever, Anywhere.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

I saw a post on another forum where some bozo bought a friggin' Gamma Goat and was bragging about it. I well remember the Goats, and there was never a worse POS than those things. Ever, Anywhere.
[/quote]

This! And the damned GOER both of those vehiles were abortions. Worked on them in the Army before they got phased out ...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Flush - an upland hunting show once had a guy on who converted an ambulance into a rolling RV/Camp for bird hunting. Basic Ford, diesel and then converted the back. Was a neat deal. He'd park on public land and hunt out of it.

Basically just an RV I know but likely he has less into it than buying an RV

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tom2506

This! And the damned GOER both of those vehiles were abortions. Worked on them in the Army before they got phased out ...
I was just finishing my enlistment in the NG when they got the 1st goat. It was assigned to the medics. I never rode in or drove it. All I know is that it was the noisiest machine ever invented. Everyone riding in it needed ear muffs.

They were designed to be able to be dropped by parachute. Those who used them preferred to drop them without the chute.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

172 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,239
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.