W
cat, what caliber was it??

Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
cat, what caliber was it??

The maple stocked rifle? That one was in 270, and it was very accurate , too.
I just noticed that I stated it was a 1A, it was in fact a 1B!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11/29/21.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
very nice looking wood on these Ruger #1`s , but when i think custom hunting rifles i think match grade barrel , a good machinist that chambers rifles , a good trigger, handloads and a extremely good scope like Nightforce and few other brand scopes, a bedded forearm maybe even laminated wood and the Ruger #1 that will shoot better than a inch 5 shoot group at 100 yards. heck a even put a big ugly piece of black moleskin on forearm so its quiet when i put out on a rest. yes i have some safe queen Ruger # 1`s but for hunting i have a working meat gun Ruger #1.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pete53
very nice looking wood on these Ruger #1`s , but when i think custom hunting rifles i think match grade barrel , a good machinist that chambers rifles , a good trigger, handloads and a extremely good scope like Nightforce and few other brand scopes, a bedded forearm maybe even laminated wood and the Ruger #1 that will shoot better than a inch 5 shoot group at 100 yards. heck a even put a big ugly piece of black moleskin on forearm so its quiet when i put out on a rest. yes i have some safe queen Ruger # 1`s but for hunting i have a working meat gun Ruger #1.

My maple stocked 1B had a Krieger Barrel on it .
However if you go back and take a good look at my #3 custom built rifle by Greydog , you will see that there is nothing original on that rifle .
The barrel is a McGowan that was Chambered by him, and he milled it half round / octagon, with an integral sling swivel and the rib milled right into the barrel!
The trigger is a Kepplinger single set, the Springs are by Wolf, and the rail houses a Leupold 1.5-4x .
This is an extremely accurate and fast handling rifle with or without the scope on it, and the Zeiss QD rings make zero repeatable
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11/29/21.

J
JFE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I had a thumper built on a second year of production Ruger No.1. Those early Rugers were factory fitted with an adjustable trigger and some production years had spectacular quality wood. I picked this rifle as a donor largely because of the wood fitted to the rifle.

Build details are :

TSE 1 in 20” twist barrel, hand lapped and finished at 24”
50/90
Styling is like an upsized factory 45/70 but with a different forend. It’s fitted with a Recknagel banded foresight and banded sling swivel. I used a factory scope mount base and open sight assembly.
Weight is 8lb 4oz bare

The factory stock was a real stunner. The varmint style forend was reworked and fitted with a buffalo horn tip. I had a detachable muzzle break fitted, but with full loads it makes no noticeable difference.

Weight distribution is great with the weight between the hands. The rifle swings like a good shotgun.

Hopefully next year it will be used to hunt something large.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
those are such great looking Ruger #1`s i would have a hard time using these fine looking # 1 rifles on a hunt on this forum site, but i guess to each their own. i do have some Ruger # 1 safe queens too , but my favorite is Ruger # 1 S.S. laminated stock, custom Brux barrel 27 inches long ,#4 contour , my new 257 W.M. reamer 1st use, Timney trigger , forearm channel trimmed and glass bedded, had a machined Picatinny base made to fit this #1 , Nightforce scope and rings , big piece of ugly black moleskin on forearm ,sometimes a bi-pod used mostly out west ,my handloads and used for around 10 - 15 years i have killed some very nice bucks with this setup out west and in Minnesota. this setup has worked so well i gave the same thing to my son who has also shot some very nice bucks with his #1. this 2021 year son shot his biggest whitetail buck 225 lbs. field dressed, thick black horned 8 pt. with 8 inch browtines and as all of us Ruger #1 lovers know 1 shot kills always ! hope you all have had a safe great season hunting so far,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 11/30/21.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Finally got off my duff and mailed off a #1 to Pac-Nor today. Going with 6mm CM, stainless, #4 profile, 24”. Now I need to get busy on the wood and finish filling the grain and get the checkering fixed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
those are such great looking Ruger #1`s i would have a hard time using these fine looking # 1 rifles on a hunt on this forum site, but i guess to each their own. i do have some Ruger # 1 safe queens too , but my favorite is Ruger # 1 S.S. laminated stock, custom Brux barrel 27 inches long ,#4 contour , my new 257 W.M. reamer 1st use, Timney trigger , forearm channel trimmed and glass bedded, had a machined Picatinny base made to fit this #1 , Nightforce scope and rings , big piece of ugly black moleskin on forearm ,sometimes a bi-pod used mostly out west ,my handloads and used for around 10 - 15 years i have killed some very nice bucks with this setup out west and in Minnesota. this setup has worked so well i gave the same thing to my son who has also shot some very nice bucks with his #1. this 2021 year son shot his biggest whitetail buck 225 lbs. field dressed, thick black horned 8 pt. with 8 inch browtines and as all of us Ruger #1 lovers know 1 shot kills always ! hope you all have had a safe great season hunting so far,Pete53

My Ruger gets hunted hard every year and quite often is some pretty gnarly stuff, that is what is was built for , however I don't use it as a club or a cane, I have a walking stick for that! LOL
Same thing as my Westley Richards hammer double that I use for pheasants- I don't buy guns or have them built to hang them on a wall and look at them.
Cat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by catnthehat

My Ruger gets hunted hard every year and quite often is some pretty gnarly stuff, that is what is was built for , however I don't use it as a club or a cane, I have a walking stick for that! LOL
Same thing as my Westley Richards hammer double that I use for pheasants- I don't buy guns or have them built to hang them on a wall and look at them.
Cat

Catnthehat,

Great pictures, you didn't say the cartridge your #1 is chambered.

Also a very classic cowboy hat your wearing.....who made the hat?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[/quote]

Catnthehat,

Great pictures, you didn't say the cartridge your #1 is chambered.

Also a very classic cowboy hat your wearing.....who made the hat?[/quote]
Sorry, I thought I did!
The rifle is chambered in .303 Brit as suggested by someone here when I originally was asking for caliber suggestions.
I was told because I was a Canuck, there was only one logical choice - 303 British! LOL
as fir the hat, I wear Smithbilts, they have been made in Calgary since 1902 I believe.
I normally hunt with a campaign hat when it is warmer This one just happened to be on my noggin that day!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12/01/21.

IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great stuff!!

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I got this back just in time for deer season. Barrel is from McGowen, the smith reworked the action and recessed the safety. I used a classic deer chambering, the 300 Savage. I took a doe with it last week and will be out with it during our second season.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]uncommon unique girl names

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That, dear hearts, is incomparably nice!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I got this back just in time for deer season. Barrel is from McGowen, the smith reworked the action and recessed the safety. I used a classic deer chambering, the 300 Savage. I took a doe with it last week and will be out with it during our second season.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]uncommon unique girl names

Now THAT'S what I'm talkin' 'bout!
Gorgeous rifle!
Cat

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked this up about a month ago from a member here. I was about to send one in for some custom work but this has about everything I wanted.

Attached Images
Custom270-r.jpg (18.85 KB, 426 downloads)
Last edited by AZtwins; 12/05/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can someone tell me how to add the larger pics to a post? I'm a little behind here I guess!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
guys i am still looking for a standard Ruger #1 ,1-B 257 Roberts for a gift for my 10 year old grandson. thanks,Pete53

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
AZ- I had my eye on the rifle. You have a nice one there!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have located a lipsey exclusive no.1-a (I think new to #1’s) the sporter with case harden receiver in 22 hornet. Nice rifle. I can get it for under $1700
Looking at all these no 1’s it’s really got me thinking to buy it and maybe use it for a build…I really want the 275 rigby ruger shows on their site, however I doubt this is at all possible.
Gorgeous rifles guys, you’re really making my gears turn…I think I’m starting to round the corner from synthetic stocked customs back to blued/walnut and or satin stainless 🤣🤣

Gspfan - gorgeous!

Az- what are the specs on this new acquisition of yours?

Last edited by Iclimb; 12/13/21.

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AZtwins
I picked this up about a month ago from a member here. I was about to send one in for some custom work but this has about everything I wanted.

What’s the specs on this? Gorgeous!

If at first you don't succeed; shoot, shoot again
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

195 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 31 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.