No need to check zero. I run Leupolds.

LOL .... Same here.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
I killed a buck this morning, using a rifle that has only been used to kill game since 2012.

Show off!! What scope ya running?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Judman
I killed a buck this morning, using a rifle that has only been used to kill game since 2012.

Show off!! What scope ya running?

Leupold 2-7x. I like living on the edge.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Judman
Me too ted, and I’ve got a bench and steel hung to 500.. to be honest, I absolutely hate reloading anymore…. Haha
I loaded 100 rounds of .223 and 40 rounds of .30-30 pre season this year and thought I was going to die from boredom. About as entertaining as watching paint dry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Absolutely R B !!

The game (animal life) deserves no LESS than that respect !!!!

Jerry

This

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to... I hunt almost every day and none of my rifles have changed zero in 40 years. I shoot the same ammo and have used Swarovski/Kahles glass for the whole time. Now, if I knock the gun, I will check it, but these optics are pretty tough and I can only think of a couple of times that they have changed from bumps slightly. Very slightly...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by huntsman22
That's awesome. You still have 10 rounds outta that box of ammo for the next decade.....

And?

I never said I didn't shoot. Comprehension is short on many around here.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Today, ain't nobody hunting someone else's place.
And they dam sure aren't gonna risk jumping a deer for someone
else to get.

Gas and timber guy here owns 4000 plus acres in pieces of all sizes that he allows hunting. Gas companies own some sizable pieces that allow hunting. Shot this years Buck on the first guys land….all surrounded by private land, most with corn.

OnX hunting makes them easy to find.

Addition: Also found a cement company that owns some large pieces of timber that allows hunting.

Last edited by battue; 12/02/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
How many of those pre scoped bore sighted cheap combos get hunted with every year? 😳

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I took a buddy bear hunting last week and he got his boot hung up on a bush and took a fall on a Leupold. 12" off at 113 yards. Ouch!

Over the years, I've had maybe three Leupolds take a hit...One was a banger off rocks under my body...Stayed centered. It sat in the closet a couple year while I used others. Shot it this year before the season...5 shots at 100 just over an inch...4 of them much under. Rang steel at 300. Went hunting.

Addition: The post below gave reason to mention this...If it is shooting dirty, it stays dirty..Have gone over 100 shots sometimes without disturbing the gremlins who live inside the barrel. They are happy, I'm happy.

On a shooter...cold bore, warm bore...the difference wouldn't be the reason for a miss. (On basketball sized kill zones.)

Last edited by battue; 12/03/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Every damned time.

My ideal (sometimes achieved) is to fire one shot to check zero of rifle previously wrung out and a trusted, known quality with that ammo. If it is on, I'm GTG. Again ideally, I will fire one more shot to drop the game, and perhaps one more for an insurance on approach (having scart myself a couple times).

Clean (if wetted) and put away until next time I hunt with it. Dry hunt? Maybe not cleaned....

if it's not on, adjust as needed, with as many rounds as needed. Otherwise no sense in just pouring lead down the barrel.

As noted by others, I like to have several rifles ready to go each season, just in case one goes south from something.

If going very far from home, espcially on rough roads, etc., recheck in camp..... one shot, hopefully. And maybe a spare along....

Last edited by las; 12/03/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Rockinbbar: Absolutely - my Rifles are checked every year before season.
And sadly I check "the zero" anywhere from 4 to 7 Rifles for my (lazy) friends - mostly the ones with 300 Weatherby's and various 300 Magnums!
I do NOT enjoy the latter but I respect the game (Antelope, Deer & Elk) to much to let my friends go afield with guns not sighted for two years or longer.
Of course I am retired and have been for a long time and word gets around amongst my still working friends.
Use caution when agreeing to "double-checking/sighting-in" your friends guns - word WILL get around.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Well that's the exact same scenario with me as well. Everyone seems to just be to busy. I don't mind, I like to shoot. I would never go hunting without checking zero at the range before going on a hunting trip. Once at deer camp I only shoot when the crosshairs are on intended game. If for some reason the gun got dropped or the scope took a hard hit from a fall I would recheck zero.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This rifle gets the scope taken off and on several times in a season and and although I do check it when I head to the range at 200 meters, there has never been a POI change since it was built in 2009 . It is getting to the point where I can't use the irons well, so I take it off less and less each year!
Cat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by catnthehat; 12/03/21.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I sheepishly admit that this year I didn't due to having less than a box left of my preferred ammunition with no new stuff anywhere to be found. I'm hovering over what I have like precious metal until I can find some new stuff. A buck at 110 yards opening morning turned into venison, so at least he didn't dodge a bullet.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Ozarker
How many of those pre scoped bore sighted cheap combos get hunted with every year? 😳

We've got a guy at work that knows everything and went and bought his daughter a cheap savage combo. She missed a "big buck" that weekend. Went straight to the woods with it out of the box. Told me it was bore sighted from the factory and good to go.

We didn't shoot near as much before this deer season started but I did check them with a couple rounds a piece. 260 and 708 isn't easy to find. I have some but not enough to go burning through it. Cant tell you the last time I've seen Varget anywhere. Let the boy burn through some 22lr from different positions for practice.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
On your rifle every year?

Yes, I do. Never give the gremlins an opportunity to ruin a good hunt.

Most of my rifles hold their zero pretty good. These are my go-to rifles - they might need a tweak every now and then, but generally stay on zero.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not since I stopped using Leupolds, no need anymore

RL Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by huntsman22
That's awesome. You still have 10 rounds outta that box of ammo for the next decade.....

And?

I never said I didn't shoot. Comprehension is short on many around here.

Are you shooting at targets or maybe varmints, or just shooting up in the air? If you are shooting regularly, aren't you in a way checking zero? Just trying to comprehend

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Teeder
Check zero? I thought it was set at the factory?

Ever had to send one in for warrantee zero?

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I hunt with a half dozen different rifles most years. All get shot. If I’m strapped for time, it may be 1 shot at my 300yd 8” gong. If the bullet splash is more than a couple inches off center, I follow up. I know my rifles and have confidence in the glass. I also know how our ever present wind impacts bullet flight. If I bump a scope, I switch to another rifle. All but the 35Whelen are sighted dead on at 300yd as that has been the average shot distance for the stand I favor (the 35Whelen is my deep woods gun). For me confidence is all important. I can’t imagine hunting with a question in my head….
I handload and each year am chasing down the the next perfect load so I get lots of trigger time. My range is one of my food plots just 5 minutes from the house so I’m only a few minutes away from working on another properly executed squeeze.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
724 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,962 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,757
Posts18,401,358
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.