Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Luck trumps skill any day, at least that's my motto.

Yep. I've always joked that I'd rather be lucky than good; it seems that quite often, I'm neither!

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've also heard: "the harder you hunt, the luckier you get"

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
The guy I've been deer hunting with for the past 15 years is the luckiest [bleep] on the planet during deer season. We hunt the same plot of ground, sit in the same blinds.

I can count about half a dozen times where we've been out, maybe 150-200 yards apart. Pow! He's got a dead deer 40 yards from the blind... then I proceed to not see jack monkey fugnuts in range for the entire rest of the week.

He puts in maybe 10% of the time I do hunting the same places at the same times and gets 3x the deer I do. Fuggin voodoo magic or some [bleep]. 🤷‍♂️

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Life long friend who just kills big animals every year has always had problems with his feet.

He Has to walk/stalk much slower than the rest of us.
His movement is very minimal.

That is our conclusion over seeing decades of his personal success.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There isn’t much that a rock solid positive mental attitude & helpful spirit doesn’t multiply.

Edited to add that being ready to get & stay cold doesn’t hurt either.

Last edited by PintsofCraft; 11/30/21.
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have always done well the last 25 some years but i am 68 years old now , i learned all the things needed to kill bigger bucks ,my son has been killing nice bucks since 14 or 15 years old because of what i know or learned . now my 10 year old grandson is my new apprentice i wished someone could have showed me how and why of hunting bigger bucks. the biggest secret is don`t shoot little bucks ever or even a doe and be patience , you don`t get a bigger buck every year but when you do its always special . make your luck and be safe ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nicely said, Pete53!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I've also heard: "the harder you hunt, the luckier you get"

I’ve heard the harder you work the luckier you get - same idea.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
I know "lucky" guys who are always the ones to win the guns at the charity raffles or who always get the coveted door prizes at the banquets. I can't win a thing. But in my experience the ones who succeed in the field are the ones who have put in the work (staying fit, scouting, planting food plots, etc.), and/or understand the "how's, when's and why's" of hunting that put them in the position to get "lucky".

I tend to find it very interesting these days that so many "successful" whitetail hunters are, among other things, hunting only on private land, and "scouting" has become putting up more game cameras, instead of looking for large tracks, antler rubs, etc. Oh, and of course planting "food plots."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by PintsofCraft
There isn’t much that a rock solid positive mental attitude & helpful spirit doesn’t multiply.

Edited to add that being ready to get & stay cold doesn’t hurt either.

Boy that is well said POC!

Semper Fi
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I see your point. I was just trying to say the guys who put in the leg work outside of the season, hunt the more difficult places to access, and strive to understand the needs, movements, and behavior of game are typically more "lucky" than those who just show up opening day and hunt from a golf cart.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I know "lucky" guys who are always the ones to win the guns at the charity raffles or who always get the coveted door prizes at the banquets. I can't win a thing. But in my experience the ones who succeed in the field are the ones who have put in the work (staying fit, scouting, planting food plots, etc.), and/or understand the "how's, when's and why's" of hunting that put them in the position to get "lucky".

I tend to find it very interesting these days that so many "successful" whitetail hunters are, among other things, hunting only on private land, and "scouting" has become putting up more game cameras, instead of looking for large tracks, antler rubs, etc. Oh, and of course planting "food plots."

In some states there is very little public land available for hunting, so having access to private land is the best option.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My godfather is a true horse shoe SOB when it comes to hunting…not a seems lucky cause he out works everyone type, but just a bit luckier than everyone else. I grew up hunting his land in NW LA as a kid. At that time we counted it as a great hunt if you even saw a deer and anything with antlers was a big deal. Then one year he shot what was at the time pretty much only the stuff of legends around there… an “8 point.” None of us had ever seen one on the hoof. And he got it by…smoking a cigarette in a ladder stand which he proceeded to crumple up in his hand before shooting the deer. grin It’s been a while but I’m pretty sure there was another “are you kidding me” aspect to the story that I’m forgetting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

In some states there is very little public land available for hunting, so having access to private land is the best option.

Especially if you don't want to be surrounded by an orange army.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

How much fun could be had with this discussion.

Quien Sabe!

BTW.......

I'm guilty of all the above except planting food plots,

and I do luv game cams.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Viewing the pix adds another dimension to "being afield'

I had the pleasure of being there 10 days in November. Only had to use my generator to cool down one night. The other nights I slept with my camper windows and screen door openl

Some game cam pix from November......

Full disclosure: I took this buck on 11/19/2021. I had seen it only on game cam during the last two seasons, at night. Most of our bucks are nocturnal and one very seldom sees a buck during "daylight". I happened to be in the right place in the right time and woke up from a nap just as he crossed in front of me.

It's not often we see elk on low fenced cattle ranches here in the Texas hill country. If I lay an eyeball on her, she will be meat in the freezer.

ya!

GWB

PS: If a critter is there, and you ain't, it don't matter how lucky or good you are, you ain't gonna make meat!

Last edited by geedubya; 11/30/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Swag: Yeah - I have a friend that has at least 7 "lucky horseshoes" up his ass.
I befriended him about 23 years ago when he retired from a Utah law enforcement agency and moved to SW Montana.
He had never shot an Antelope before and pestered me to take him along on a Powder River area Hunt I used to do every year that I got drawn.
I thought well he won't get drawn first year - but he did!
He also broke his ankle just before season and "he" was restricted to Hunting from my VarmintMobile.
I got an okay 14" Buck and we then had some three days of trying to get him close to "shootable" Buck.
ON day three, late in the afternoon, he finally cranked off a shot (from the truck) at an outstanding Buck Antelope at 250 yards and promptly shot the penis clean off of that Buck.
I chased that Buck for MILES and finally killed it for him just at the end of shooting hours - it's horns were 16" long and near Boone & Crockett! Then I had to clean the Buck and tote it on my back (no easy feat!) in the dark back to where my "lucky friend" was waiting in the rig.
I have never killed such a dandy Antelope as he did first year, and from the truck! And I have been Hunting them since 1969.
It gets worse - he had never killed a big Bull Elk and asked for a recommendation for one of Montanas limited entry "trophy" Elk areas.
I had been putting in for years in the Missouri Breaks and had never been drawn for that Bull Rifle tag.
First year he puts in he gets drawn - and after much hardship on the Hunt he kills a dandy 7x7 Bull Elk - as I helped him (no tag for me!).
Next he gets the hots for a Mt. Goat and sure enough first year he puts in he gets drawn and puts the arm on me for scouting and for the Hunt - we got him a dandy 9 3/4" Billy high up in the Tobacco Root Mountains.
It gets worse - he had never shot a Moose and puts in for a VERY difficult draw area adjoining his home property here in SW Montana - I have been putting in for 24 years now and never been drawn!
Of course first year he is drawn and we get him a nice 44" Bull.
It gets worse - now he is on a quest to get a Montana Bighorn Sheep - second year applying he is drawn successfully in the hardest area (I believe) in Montana to get a Bighorn Ram tag - the Missouri Breaks
I could NOT go along on that Hunt with him but on the second day he mortifies a Boone & Crockett "all time records book" qualifying Ram!
I was thinking of "terminating" (with extreme prejudice!) him but held off.
I have been putting in for 24 years now to get tags for Bighorn, Moose and Mt. Goat and have yet to be drawn for any of them!
Yeah horseshoe luck does NOT begin to describe accurately my "friend"!
Last year his wife laid down the law to him - it was pussy forever and move her back to her homeland (Thailand) or divorce - so he sold all his guns and sold all his trophy mounts (I bid on the Bighorn Ram mount up to $3,000.00!) but it sold for much more than that.
He was Mormon and NOT a gambling man but I am sure if he would have ever bought a LOTTO ticket he would have won.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah my BIL is like that. He kills a big buck just about every year. Not in the same spot and usually later in the season

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

I know all of that, partly due to having hunted whitetails in 15 states all across the U.S.--plus three Canadian provinces, alont Coues deer in Arizona and Mexico.

I was primarily commenting on how whitetail hunting has changed in the past half-century. When I started hunting big game, a little longer ago than that, the basic whitetail hunting article involved still-hunting, whether on public or private land. Can even remember some about New England hunting where most local landowners allowed hunting, so didn't post their land.

A lot of it was about "reading" sign to locate a buck, especially a larger buck--including the size of tracks, evidence left from antler-rubs, etc. That's what a lot of the classic deer-hunting books were about back then, along with how to move through the woods to find and shoot a buck. Nowadays finding and killing a whitetail buck is more often than not dependent on private land, game-cams, food plots, and high stands.

I understand all this, partly due to hunting in highly populated countries Europe a few times, where similar methods have been use for a long time--though not quite as technological. But many central European countries also allow night-shooting to some degree, though they generally outlaw artificial lights. Some states in the U.S. also allow longer hunting hours than the traditional half-hour before sunrise and half-hour after sunset.

I didn't say any of this is good or bad. Instead I stated I found it interesting.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Swag: Yeah - I have a friend that has at least 7 "lucky horseshoes" up his ass.
I befriended him about 23 years ago when he retired from a Utah law enforcement agency and moved to SW Montana.
He had never shot an Antelope before and pestered me to take him along on a Powder River area Hunt I used to do every year that I got drawn.
I thought well he won't get drawn first year - but he did!
He also broke his ankle just before season and "he" was restricted to Hunting from my VarmintMobile.
I got an okay 14" Buck and we then had some three days of trying to get him close to "shootable" Buck.
ON day three, late in the afternoon, he finally cranked off a shot (from the truck) at an outstanding Buck Antelope at 250 yards and promptly shot the penis clean off of that Buck.
I chased that Buck for MILES and finally killed it for him just at the end of shooting hours - it's horns were 16" long and near Boone & Crockett! Then I had to clean the Buck and tote it on my back (no easy feat!) in the dark back to where my "lucky friend" was waiting in the rig.
I have never killed such a dandy Antelope as he did first year, and from the truck! And I have been Hunting them since 1969.
It gets worse - he had never killed a big Bull Elk and asked for a recommendation for one of Montanas limited entry "trophy" Elk areas.
I had been putting in for years in the Missouri Breaks and had never been drawn for that Bull Rifle tag.
First year he puts in he gets drawn - and after much hardship on the Hunt he kills a dandy 7x7 Bull Elk - as I helped him (no tag for me!).
Next he gets the hots for a Mt. Goat and sure enough first year he puts in he gets drawn and puts the arm on me for scouting and for the Hunt - we got him a dandy 9 3/4" Billy high up in the Tobacco Root Mountains.
It gets worse - he had never shot a Moose and puts in for a VERY difficult draw area adjoining his home property here in SW Montana - I have been putting in for 24 years now and never been drawn!
Of course first year he is drawn and we get him a nice 44" Bull.
It gets worse - now he is on a quest to get a Montana Bighorn Sheep - second year applying he is drawn successfully in the hardest area (I believe) in Montana to get a Bighorn Ram tag - the Missouri Breaks
I could NOT go along on that Hunt with him but on the second day he mortifies a Boone & Crockett "all time records book" qualifying Ram!
I was thinking of "terminating" (with extreme prejudice!) him but held off.
I have been putting in for 24 years now to get tags for Bighorn, Moose and Mt. Goat and have yet to be drawn for any of them!
Yeah horseshoe luck does NOT begin to describe accurately my "friend"!
Last year his wife laid down the law to him - it was pussy forever and move her back to her homeland (Thailand) or divorce - so he sold all his guns and sold all his trophy mounts (I bid on the Bighorn Ram mount up to $3,000.00!) but it sold for much more than that.
He was Mormon and NOT a gambling man but I am sure if he would have ever bought a LOTTO ticket he would have won.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

He should be a PowerBall ticket.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,435
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.