Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Just bought this rifle in 35. Doesn't have the front hood? I usually like.my stuff to be original. Is the hood hindering and that's why some remove it? Makes low light shooting harder? Anywho... I'd like to have one for it regardless if installed or not. Were would I find one of these?

You'll shoot your eye out
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Whoever was handling it previously might have snagged it off without knowing. It is supposed to stop any possible reflections/glare off the standard front sight, I think. I have a fibre-optic type front sight so the hood stays off.

Maybe Brownells have something?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

ebay or gunbroker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do a google search. I think you'll find one pretty fast. I don't like hoods on my front sights, however...
If the light from the sun is on one side or another it effects the sight picture enough to change POI as I recall. I don't worry too much about this issue.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IC B2

M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks. Does the hood make the sight harder to see as the sun goes down?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Right. Even taking the hood off and adding a fiber optic you're not going to make it to the end of legal time in GA. Any decent scope will beat it.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If it’s an original SC from back in the 40s or 50s timeframe with the long tapered front ramp it takes the round topped “Huntsman” hood. The newer ones from the 80s used the new style “widescan” hood and will have a shorter ramp. They aren’t interchangeable as the have a different shaped detent that snaps into the grooves machined in the ramps. The newer style are a dime a dozen, the old style are quite rare.

For you guys using fiber optic fronts and want to use a hood to protect it but not have the fiber shaded. Take a Dremel with a sanding drum and cut a saddle through the center of the hood perpendicular to the axis of the bore. This will leave a hole for light to get to the fiber tube so it “illuminates” but will offer some protection to the fragile insert. Or you may be able to source one of the already spotted hoods that came on the orange sighted M60s and other 22s, they used the same ramps as the centerfire leverguns.

M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Right. Even taking the hood off and adding a fiber optic you're not going to make it to the end of legal time in GA. Any decent scope will beat it.

That's kinda what I had assumed about using it with irons. How much more time or ability to you feel the fiber optic sights give you?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cutting a slot in the hood is a good idea Kid

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mgw619
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite

That's kinda what I had assumed about using it with irons. How much more time or ability to you feel the fiber optic sights give you?
I've been using an aperture rear combined with a green fiber optic front for years. If I can still see the deer with my naked eye I can kill it. A good scope maybe gives me 10-15b more minutes. Maybe.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A few years ago I became pretty well studied on the older Marlins. I'm not sure but I don't think the SC versions ever came from the factory with a front sight hood. The front sight didn't have the grooves in it. Hoods didn't come along until later in the 336's life.
Rick

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RickinTN
A few years ago I became pretty well studied on the older Marlins. I'm not sure but I don't think the SC versions ever came from the factory with a front sight hood. The front sight didn't have the grooves in it. Hoods didn't come along until later in the 336's life.
Rick

I don't know about that , I have 2 sc's and both front sights are grooved for a hood. One from 53 and one from 55. The one from 55 came with a hood I believe. I took it off and put it in a drawer somewhere.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Had a friend who picked up a Model 70 that was missing the front sight hood and went out of his way to find one. Second year hunting with it, they finished up a deer drive and he realized that he lost the sight hood.
Said the heck with it after that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 45-70 Marlin is a real light version. The front sight hood flies off sometimes on high power loads. I gave up on keeping it on.

Last edited by Bugger; 12/12/21.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by DANNYL
Cutting a slot in the hood is a good idea Kid

Yep, apparently Marlin thought so also when they put a hi-vis front sight on their Camp 9 Carbine.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RickinTN
Rick

I have my fathers 336sc, I think a 1952 vintage that he bought about the time I was in the 2nd grade. It came with and still has the original sight hood.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Look on ebay, they occasionally show up. The older round top hoods will go for much, much more than the newer flat top models.

Last edited by jkingrph; 12/25/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,892 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,341
Posts18,468,725
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.