Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Friend of mine is a kuiu geek. He likes them cause he says stuff is long in the arms and torso. Guess he’s built like an orangutan. Standard stuff works for me, but I definitely don’t want something that rides up when I bend down. I hear some brands are softer. The softer the better. What do you guys like? Thanks

Ps couldn’t find anything here via search, but I’m sure his has been discussed before.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I have kuiu and first light wool shirts, hoodies . Not very durable. Have lots of tears but maybe that's just wool

You can pick up skre, smart wool shirts on sale typically cheaper a bit fuller cut. But that's just My opinion . Post hunting sales coming up

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks. Figured there would be some sales coming. I appreciate the feedback. Was looking at skre. Tough decisions....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the Smart Wool half zip 250 and Smart Wool 250 bottoms. I wear Ramblersway tees and long sleeve tops next to skin and the house brand of wool underwear from BackCountry.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Icebreaker.

Look around for sales like Sierra. etc.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Smartwool is what I use. Just received some today that I am going to give to my grandson for his birthday. About $150 per set.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Smartwool socks rock, they're great for year 'round wear !

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I like these;

https://www.minus33.com/collections/mens-wool-clothing-types

Have two sets finishing up season 4.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Friend of mine is a kuiu geek. He likes them cause he says stuff is long in the arms and torso. Guess he’s built like an orangutan. Standard stuff works for me, but I definitely don’t want something that rides up when I bend down. I hear some brands are softer. The softer the better. What do you guys like? Thanks

Ps couldn’t find anything here via search, but I’m sure his has been discussed before.

Have been very happy w/ MidwayUSA OD Level One base layers for < $20/pop on sale...

MidwayUSA Men's Level One Long Sleeve Base Layer Shirt

MidwayUSA Men's Level One Short Sleeve Base Layer Shirt

MidwayUSA Men's Level One Base Layer Pants

And then just layer accordingly from there.

Like the short sleeves for Spring and Fall, when the intraday temps can vary quite a bit.

GR

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
I like these;

Another vote for minus 33 merino. They used to be inexpensive but they must be catching on now.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice. I'm looking hard at the minus 33. Seems to have good reviews and I like the color selection and variety of styles offered. A bit less money than kuiu or first light.

Only merino I've worn is darn tough socks. I like them A lot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve used a lot of brands of merino, and I like Kuiu, but I wait for it to go on sale.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
I like these;

Another vote for minus 33 merino. They used to be inexpensive but they must be catching on now.

I have a bunch of Minus33 stuff and really like it. You're right about the pricing, looks like they've gone over the top.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Smart Wool fits great, warm but not too hot. Been -10 to 10 above for 30 plus days this winter so far and wore them every day.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You didn't ask but I'll pontificate away: what is the application?

I love merino and wear Icebreaker. In fact, I lived in a set of Icebreaker 260 all week while deer hunting in NW PA. BUT - I only wear merino next to skin when I'm not going to sweat. I sat most of the week in treestands with no more than a 1/2 mile walk to the stand. I walked in with base and mid layers and bundled up upon arrival. If any sort of output is required (r.e. hiking) and sweat will occur, I've gone to all synthetic next to skin. Synthetic dries way quicker when wet than merino. There is truth to cooking yourself dry with a good, thin synthetic next to skin and some form of midlayers that move moisture. The "warm when wet" deal with merino is BS IMHO.

As to merino, I've tried most because I find my skin is sensitive to some. The finer the yarn, the better for me. Icebreaker is what I settled on.

Good luck.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a couple of Kuiu merino T-shirts, too thin and not durable enough for me. I have a pair of zip on Minus 33 bottoms and I've very impressed with them. I'll try more Minus 33 stuff based on the bottoms.

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Looking for some less expensive options. Anyone ever use Merino Tech? And opinions of same. https://merino.tech/collections/mens-long-sleeve-shirts

Thanks Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
On temps around 32* I'll start with a thin and heavier Kuiu Merino - maybe with a vest. If I get to a place that I'm going to spend time to glass, I'll replace that set without a dry set and put them in a plastic bag. Have done that many times and it just works for my style.
Below 0*, I'll do the same and add a lighter down jacket and peel and replace as needed.
But everyone is different. Good luck.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by bwinters
You didn't ask but I'll pontificate away: what is the application?

I love merino and wear Icebreaker. In fact, I lived in a set of Icebreaker 260 all week while deer hunting in NW PA. BUT - I only wear merino next to skin when I'm not going to sweat. I sat most of the week in treestands with no more than a 1/2 mile walk to the stand. I walked in with base and mid layers and bundled up upon arrival. If any sort of output is required (r.e. hiking) and sweat will occur, I've gone to all synthetic next to skin. Synthetic dries way quicker when wet than merino. There is truth to cooking yourself dry with a good, thin synthetic next to skin and some form of midlayers that move moisture. The "warm when wet" deal with merino is BS IMHO.

As to merino, I've tried most because I find my skin is sensitive to some. The finer the yarn, the better for me. Icebreaker is what I settled on.

Good luck.

It's interesting, because my experience is exactly the opposite.

Every synthetic base layer I've had has left me cold and clamy after sweating. Merino, I never feel that way. I find that I run hot compared to others.

I like smartwool bases and have several heavier 200-280 mid layers that I like too.

I had a sitka bottoms and they were loose for size and didnt fit right. I have one kuiu midlayer and it is fine.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have the Kuiu merino 1/4 zip and the peloton 1/4 zips for next to the skin base layer. I prefer the synthetic peloton by far. They are vulnerable to snags and pulls. Good to have a durable shell. Their vented pit jackets are great for hiking when its cold.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
681 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 73 invisible), 2,755 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.