Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Just curious of the group thoughts of the LCP ll by Ruger do they make it with a manual safety as well? As well as a laser? Also someone told me to consider Kahr saying it was similar in size and very reliable. Your thoughts? Looking for something for front pocket carry . I have many others for other applications but looking for that specific application

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry the S&W Bodyguard 380. I think you can get it with the laser. I didn’t get the laser, but I did get the model with the safety. And, after shooting it for a while, I had the improved trigger (Santiago) put in it.

I have it in one of those pocket holsters that stay in the pocket when you pull the pistol. Works fine, though I’ve never had to try it in an emergency situation.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Have there original LCP. Never and issue and carries nicely

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I had a LCP I carried for years. It was very reliable and with the DA only trigger it was safe. I carried it in a pocket holster that came with the Crimson Trace laser I put on it. If I was in the market for another 380 I would get the LCP over the LCP II.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Why would you pick the LCP over the LCP two?

IC B2

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Correct me if I’m wrong but the second generation has adjustable sights as well and stay open after last shot fired

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick I bought an LCP II ,I think it carries great it's thin and light . A lot of gun guys I hear say ," 380 has no knockdown power" I would not want to be shot with one ! Anyhow ,it is accurate for me up close ,very accurate . I am shooting jacketed round nose bullets . It jams ( mine does) with a hollow point bullet with flatter nose . Last time I went to the range my FIL had some older 380 hollow points that were pointier and it did not jam . I like it ,it is good for what you are looking for ,the front pocket carry

R
RickcNY Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you VinceM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Just curious of the group thoughts of the LCP ll by Ruger do they make it with a manual safety as well? As well as a laser? Also someone told me to consider Kahr saying it was similar in size and very reliable. Your thoughts? Looking for something for front pocket carry . I have many others for other applications but looking for that specific application
Kahr P-380... Extremely simple - no need for any safety, and has never failed me yet...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Too many micro 9mm's out there to settle for a .380 anymore. (If you don't want to get shot by a .380, then you really don't want to get shot by a 9mm.)

The dimensions of a micro 9mm versus a .380 are nearly same/same if you compare guns of the same ammo capacity. I'd favor a plain vanilla P365 with its 10+1 of 9mm over the 6+1 of Ruger's .380. Why chose a weaker round and fewer of them? Of course, if you're convinced the size of the .380 will be the difference in carrying it versus leaving your gun at home, then go buy the gun that you've already decided fits that requirement.

Check out https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/sig-sauer-p365-vs-ruger-lcp-ii to see actual photos.

EDITED TO ADD: I used to pocket carry a Sig P238 then a Kahr PM9, then a Sig P365. Currently I don't pocket carry; when I want to "go small" I carry a Sig P365XL in an IWB holster.

Last edited by Waders; 12/04/21.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

The KISS principle applies. The heavier DA trigger pull IS the safety. The LCPs are a pistol for convenience, not a gun fight. They're for close up threats. With any trigger that is light enough to need a safety in the trigger bow is one I'd want a safety. My S&W EZ9 and SIG P365 both have manual safeties by personal choice.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

The KISS principle applies. The heavier DA trigger pull IS the safety. The LCPs are a pistol for convenience, not a gun fight. They're for close up threats...

That is my view also. Applies to both the Kahr and the original LCP.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Waders
Why chose a weaker round and fewer of them?

The weight difference between an LCP and most of the micro-9s is significant. A loaded LCP is around half the weight of a loaded SIG P365, for instance. That difference is noticeable in pocket carry mode, especially when wearing something like swim trunks or other leisure wear with no belt.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't have any 380s, but I notice that Ruger now has what they are calling the LCP Max 380. 10+1 capacity, reworked trigger, tritium front sight. Grip is a little fatter and slightly longer than the LCP.

Might be worth a look if a 380 is on the menu.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Waders
Why chose a weaker round and fewer of them?

The weight difference between an LCP and most of the micro-9s is significant. A loaded LCP is around half the weight of a loaded SIG P365, for instance. That difference is noticeable in pocket carry mode, especially when wearing something like swim trunks or other leisure wear with no belt.

I second that the loaded weight is very important for pocket carry, and that is the only reason to be considering a 380 - IMHO. (Loaded LCP is 12oz, loaded PF9 is 18oz).
I decided not to drop below 9mm when I was shopping for pocket carry pistols mainly because ammo was tough to come by*. But the offerings in 9mm tend to be big and fat (except two) because manufacturers wanted to make the pistols appeal to man-boys who don't carry concealed and want 15round capacity. Good marketing but lousy products for serious concealed carry (kinda reminds me of the Judge and Governor).

*And because I only needed enough "smallness" to make it easy to always have the gun with me - drop in the pocket and go. I didn't have a need to take a shower with a gun clenched in my butt cheeks.

Last edited by dla; 12/04/21. Reason: A bit more rationale and data.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a bodygaurd second hand ,took to the range and I think because the way I gripped it ,I made the clip pop out causing the gun not to fire properly . I traded it back in and got the LCP II and with the ammo I stated I did not have those grip problems Keep in mind I'm pretty much new to pistols Just something that happened to me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I don't have any 380s, but I notice that Ruger now has what they are calling the LCP Max 380. 10+1 capacity, reworked trigger, tritium front sight. Grip is a little fatter and slightly longer than the LCP.

I can't go any smaller than the Glock 42 in my pockets. Although it is on the larger side for a .380, I can shoot it for hours like a .22 LR and really enjoy it. (I ordered additional bullets as soon as the pandemic hit, so I am in pretty good shape right now.) I suspect that the longer barrel length aids in the velocity and accuracy departments. After settling on Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators for carry, the gun is pretty awesome for its size.

Earlier this year I saw a lot of rave reviews and drank the Kool-Aid and bought an LCP Max. I was severely disappointed compared to my Glock 42. The Max recoil is substantially greater and accuracy for me was much worse. I also had some trigger slap and got a blister on my trigger finger after about 40 rounds. To give it another chance I shot another 40 rounds with the same result. I think that some of the issue with the accuracy is that the trigger pull is substantially different than on the G42 or my EDC P365s, so at least some of that is me. The Max is in the box in my office, along with 3 spare magazines in unopened boxes, all cleaned up and awaiting disposition at some point.

In the end, I would rather spot the capacity and carry a few more ounces to have a gun that runs closer to a full size gun in speed and accuracy.

I had not seen Colion Noir's video until seeing this thread. But, it sounded like he missed steel quite a bit in his mag dump, which was after he felt the need to move closer to the targets. I get the mailbox gun idea, but I want something more versatile than a mailbox gun.

I do suspect that people who think that the LCP II is awesome will think that the LCP Max is more awesome.

YMMV.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I really like the Glock 42 too. Very accurate, shoots like a full size pistol.

Probably the softest shooting .380 I've fired. Add the +1 mag extensions by Pearce. Mine have been 100% reliable.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I can't go any smaller than the Glock 42 in my pockets. Although it is on the larger side for a .380, I can shoot it for hours like a .22 LR and really enjoy it. (I ordered additional bullets as soon as the pandemic hit, so I am in pretty good shape right now.) I suspect that the longer barrel length aids in the velocity and accuracy departments. After settling on Lehigh Xtreme Penetrators for carry, the gun is pretty awesome for its size.

Earlier this year I saw a lot of rave reviews and drank the Kool-Aid and bought an LCP Max. I was severely disappointed compared to my Glock 42. The Max recoil is substantially greater and accuracy for me was much worse. I also had some trigger slap and got a blister on my trigger finger after about 40 rounds. To give it another chance I shot another 40 rounds with the same result. I think that some of the issue with the accuracy is that the trigger pull is substantially different than on the G42 or my EDC P365s, so at least some of that is me. The Max is in the box in my office, along with 3 spare magazines in unopened boxes, all cleaned up and awaiting disposition at some point.

In the end, I would rather spot the capacity and carry a few more ounces to have a gun that runs closer to a full size gun in speed and accuracy.

I had not seen Colion Noir's video until seeing this thread. But, it sounded like he missed steel quite a bit in his mag dump, which was after he felt the need to move closer to the targets. I get the mailbox gun idea, but I want something more versatile than a mailbox gun.

I do suspect that people who think that the LCP II is awesome will think that the LCP Max is more awesome.

YMMV.

I hear ya. The G42 does look like a nice 380. My smallest handgun is the Glock 43X. I like the way it carries, and how manageable it is while shooting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JB in SC
I really like the Glock 42 too. Very accurate, shoots like a full size pistol.

Probably the softest shooting .380 I've fired. Add the +1 mag extensions by Pearce. Mine have been 100% reliable.

Agreed but it’s still not near as small as ether e LCP or LCP II
If I’m going to carry something as big as the Glock 42,then I’m gonna go with my Sig 365.

I’ve carried the original LCP 380 for years as my BUG
Also own a LCP II 380 and another in .22 LR.
They have all been uber reliable and plenty accurate once you learn how to shoot them.
If I’m setting around the house at night in my gym shorts, the LCP II is in my pocket. It great for varmints or snakes if I need to step outside and carry out the trash or piss off the porch.

I will add that some Gun Company out there is still producing the tiny SeeCamp Auto. In a .380 version. The original models were in 32 acp.
Anyhow, looked at one at my LGS the other day. It’s noticeably smaller than any of my Ruger LCP models. But definitely heavier. Haven’t had a chance to research their reliability yet.
The price was definitely more than other comparable.380’s at $589. 😳

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (222Sako, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,501 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,114
Posts18,464,448
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.