Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I once laid down a decent rooster tail in the bed that I believed was just a benign fart...Wife wasn’t amused by my Shart.

Sorry for not posting this under Slummy’s thread on taking a dump w/o a shirt on. I was shirtless at the time.

🦫

🤦‍♂️

Yeah....A real proud moment for me. LOL

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Springcove
I have caught a bunch using them.

Yep. Used them quite a bit in stock tanks and creeks when I was a kid. Caught lots of perch, Bass, crappie, And even the occasional channel cat on them.

Also used the Mepps spinners quite a bit back then too.
And the old Johnson Weedless Silver Spoon too.

Yep. Silver spoon any time you see bass chasing minnows or shad in shallow water.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Love them

Would include them in my top 5 favorites

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Used to slay the smallmouth with them in the South Umpqua River on crawdad (brown)/brass, yellow/brass and black/silver, in that order of preference. Nothing else even came close. They worked on trout in the mountain streams and lakes too.

F
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
F
They are just Ok in my book. used them alot but found out the main wire is not that stout. After catching a fish or two they bend and that really screws up the blade from spinning easily. My go 2 spinner is the panther martin. They spin easier, come in many colors and you can really feal it working. Also, the rooster tail sometimes wont spin when retrieved and you have to give a quick jerk on the line during your retrieve to get it spinnin, not with the panther martin. IMO.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by fishingnut71
They are just Ok in my book. used them alot but found out the main wire is not that stout. After catching a fish or two they bend and that really screws up the blade from spinning easily. My go 2 spinner is the panther martin. They spin easier, come in many colors and you can really feal it working. Also, the rooster tail sometimes wont spin when retrieved and you have to give a quick jerk on the line during your retrieve to get it spinnin, not with the panther martin. IMO.

Yep! Same experience here, quit using them went to Martins and Blue Fox.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lots of bass and bluegill. I haven't noticed the color making any difference, but I'm probably not nearly good enough of a fisherman to be able to tell. wink

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Dog Catcher,

You and I must just not know how to fish them. I have part of an old tackle box full of the rusted, corroded, smelly things and they haven't caught much, if anything. I'd take a jig or a small spoon over bucktail spinners any day. Given the choice I'll take a Rapala over everything else.

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Just went to sporting goods store and noticed a large display of Rooster Tail spinners. In my 50 years on the planet, I've never caught a fish on one. Has anyone? Mepps, panther martin, blue fox...yes. Zilch on a rooster tail.

Someone must be buying them, because they still make them.

I wish I had a quarter for every fish I've caught on Rooster Tails. They are my "go to" lure for creek fishing . Smallies and KY Bass like the smaller ones and I use larger ones for stripers and more open water. I never am without a few Rooster Tails. I usuallu use the White and Yellow ones, but in low light at dusk, Black and darker colors work best.

Last edited by reivertom; 12/04/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Orange fluorescent with a gold blade...Caught many fish on then including a few over twenty inch smallmouth and browns up to 7 pounds on Superior. If the blade stops spinning bend it with your fingers until it;s flat

Last edited by sgt217; 12/04/21.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I’ve got some trout with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A bunch of Ohio steelhead on metallic grey stained water or pink in clear water. Lost a bunch too, gotta be banging the bottom with these steelhead.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve caught a few on Rooster Tails but most of my spinner fishing for trout is done with Panther Martins.

Black Cows Matter!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Hula Poppers on bass? What color. I used frog and yellow skirt.

Didn’t seem to matter.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Black or red, 1/6 or 1/8 oz Is the first lure in the lake when fishing mountain lakes for trout in these parts.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Just went to sporting goods store and noticed a large display of Rooster Tail spinners. In my 50 years on the planet, I've never caught a fish on one. Has anyone? Mepps, panther martin, blue fox...yes. Zilch on a rooster tail.

Someone must be buying them, because they still make them.

I mean, trout hit “shiny things” so it’ll catch fish, and yes I’ve caught a bunch of trout on Rooster Tails. But Panther Martins are the much better mousetrap and I’ve caught orders of magnitude more using them. You can cast them farther, and they catch more fish. Rooster Tails turn into little parachutes when you cast them.

The ocean salmon fishing off the Oregon coast was nuts this year. I caught over 50 of them (for the most part, you can only keep clipped-fin coho salmon, and the ratio is about 3:1 or 4:1 wild/clipped).... you wouldn’t believe the lures those things hit. None of this being line-shy or picky bidness like trout.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Wow! Totally surprised. I'll try them again I guess..

A red/white mepps, orange blade mepps, black panther with yellow dots, and yellow with red dots are my standard spinners.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I use them on the high mountain lakes here and have caught rainbows, browns, brooks and tiger trout with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. I've caught a whole mess of sunfish and bluegills on rooster tails - even the odd large-mouth now and then, back when I was a kid.

Last edited by High_Noon; 12/04/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by fishingnut71

Ditto

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1_deuce, 1234, 240NMC, 72 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.