Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Had a scare at deer camp last night. One of my hunting buddies was unloading his Remington 700 ADL and he had an "unintentional discharge". He said he started to lift the bolt and the gun went off. The bullet went into the ground and nobody was hurt as he was holding it muzzle down. He said it happened several years ago too. It's an older model chambered in 7mm Express. (Now it's called a 280)
My question is, what is the range of serial numbers/years where this was a problem and what was the remedy?
Also, with Remington under new management, can he still get it fixed?
Thanks.

Last edited by River_Ridge; 12/04/21.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Put a TriggerTech in it and be done with it.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For the peace of mind, spend the money on a quality trigger. It’s not worth using a rifle you know could AD when the trigger is not pressed. I doubt he will be able to get a replacement from Remington now that it’s changed hands.

NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kingston
Put a TriggerTech in it and be done with it.

^^^^this^^^^

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Get a new trigger. Timney, Jewel, TriggerTech. Lots of vids how to do it yourself. I did. Easy-peasy. 15 min. job.

No, I am not a gunsmith.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Had a scare at deer camp last night. One of my hunting buddies was unloading his Remington 700 ADL and he had an "unintentional discharge". He said he started to lift the bolt and the gun went off. The bullet went into the ground and nobody was hurt as he was holding it muzzle down. He said it happened several years ago too. It's an older model chambered in 7mm Express. (Now it's called a 280)
My question is, what is the range of serial numbers/years where this was a problem and what was the remedy?
Thanks.

NOTHING Remington will do is a good option... EVEN if they agreed to install a new trigger... it would require a gym membership to built up the strength to pull it... Research the topic and replace it... AND THROW THE OLD ONE IN THE TRASH IMMEDIATELY.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Or pull the old trigger and clean it with brake cleaner ! After cleaning douse it with lighter fluid and reassemble. Make sure he’s not using so much oil on the bolt it runs down into the trigger. Yes the old style trigger was prone to failure but it took dirt and dried oil to get it there. I’m all for a new trigger but even the much better triggers are susceptible to failures from poor maintenance.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn’t send anything back to Remington except maybe a box of dog poop cleverly disguised as a brick of Thunderboolitz sick

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it were me, I would consider it my obligation to immediately fix a gun with a trigger that dispenses AD's.

IMO, He should have fixed it after the first time that happened.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Why, in the midst of a hunting group, would one quibble over the cost of rendering a firearm permanently & reliably safe?

Have had one family member killed by a firearm whose muzzle was pointed in the wrong direction. Had one acquaintance killed by his own son due to an errant pointed muzzle.

Reliable triggers are cheap by comparison.

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Give your buddy a pat on the back and tell him thanks for having control of the muzzle.

Tell him to just put a trigger tech in it as well.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Has the trigger been adjusted?
Clean it well using lighter fluid.
There are some good instructions online

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for all the quick replies.
Does this look like a good option?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102112373?pid=784840

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
Remington triggers do need periodic cleaning. Glad to hear nobody was hurt. Thank God Alec Baldwin didn’t get hold of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Walker trigger didn’t start ‘firing’ when disengaging the safety until after I flushed it with lighter fluid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dump the Walker trigger and install a TriggerTech, or the one above mentioned, make sure it has a bolt release.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure Remington ( or a kid with a screwdriver) didn't have anything to do with that "unintentional discharge". Those don't happen when you are opening the bolt.

Unfortunately, the "remedy" is not one you want to hear.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I never oil my rem 700's triggers because they gunk up like any trigger, but a 700 gunked up trigger is no good.
Pressurized air from my air tank blown through the bottom of trigger & top of safety & bolt release will make sure it stays clean.

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks for all the quick replies.
Does this look like a good option?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102112373?pid=784840

The summary indicate that it will fit. Go for it. I would set the trigger pressure at 3.25 - 3.50 lbs.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Barney_Fife
I wouldn’t send anything back to Remington except maybe a box of dog poop cleverly disguised as a brick of Thunderboolitz sick

LOL! #truth....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1lessdog, 2500HD, 257 mag, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,108
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.