Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
This is the same bait and switch you tried to play on Starman. I should have remembered. You hint at your position concerning a subject when answering an opposing view, but when challenged to that position you claim false allegations are being shown and want them clarified so you can declare you never said that, even though you challenged another position.
My position on any of the subjects posted is quite clear, I've even used a few of the many scriptures show why I believe that way. But I will state one of my beliefs again. I do not and have not for some time believe that the Bible is a book to be read literally. If it was, then man could write or even rewrite the meaning of those scriptures and they have, although I think they prefer the word translate. If a book is written from a "parable" point using symbols then something done from that position cannot be misinterpreted since it is an "allegorical" story to show a symbolic sign. About the only way to interpret what is being shown is to: take no thought, Be still, cast your net to the right side, eastward was planted a garden, and go into your closet and shut the door. These are all pointing to meditation, not the Yoga style of meditation which is good for calming oneself, but a meditation to enter the Kingdom that dwells in the 90% of your mind you don't use. The 10% that we do use containing thoughts, emotions, ect. is then given up or tithed.
Those subjects the church has warned people to back away from because they are evil or of the (D)evil is the key that Christ talked about...Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.
And one part of that key of knowledge to enter into the Kingdom why you are alive, not dead, since God is a God of the living, not the dead, Mark 12:27, is Astrology, Job 38:31-33, in which is written the whole Biblical story in ancient Greek and Egyptian mystic symbolism, with numerology as part of that symbolism. An example of that is Rev. 13:18 and Rev. 14:1.

GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by antlers
It’s not an “argument” for my view. It’s simply a different apologetic. It’s the same apologetic held by the first followers of Jesus, those literally closest to Him when He was here on the earth. And it has zero to do with my grandfather. My grandfather was a staunch Church of Christ member, and his theology and beliefs were very different from mine.

When Paul and others left Judea and began telling Gentiles about Jesus, they became enamored with the life and the message of Jesus. And when they became enamored with this one particular Jew, they became enamored with the sacred text of the Jews. Before Jesus came along, this was not the case.

The Old Testament didn’t become the first part of the Christian Bible, first. What we consider to be the Old Testament in Christianity today is actually the Hebrew Bible, what they called the Law and the Prophets. Early Jesus followers took the Hebrew Bible and found patterns in the laws, narratives, and psalms of the Hebrew Bible that acted as allegories and metaphors that pointed to the Messiah, who they recognized and believed to be Jesus.

And they moved to adopt the Hebrew Scripture as part of their own. And the stage was set for the later inclusion of the Jewish Scripture with the New Testament documents to create ‘the Bible’ as we know it today. The Bible itself exists as we know it today because of the resurrection of Jesus. Had Jesus not risen from the dead, the New Testament documents would have never been written, and ‘the Bible’ as we know it would not even exist.

The ancient Hebrew text would exist by itself.

None of this has anything to do with the Azusa Street Revival, or the Anabaptists, or the Charismatic Movement, or the Restoration Movement.

How do you resolve the statement of Christ that the “Hebrew Bible” was about Him?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IZH27
How do you resolve the statement of Christ that the “Hebrew Bible” was about Him?
There’s nothing to resolve. The Law and the Prophets is an epic history of the people of Israel; and broader than that, it does tell of God preparing the world for a Savior. Jesus said that He is the Messiah of the Hebrew texts.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Religion on a gun forum ....woooo hoooo....Keep the hatred alive boys ! Lay off the booze , way too much drama when alcohol gets involved.

Last edited by chudly; 12/03/21.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by K22
This is the same bait and switch you tried to play on Starman. I should have remembered. You hint at your position concerning a subject when answering an opposing view, but when challenged to that position you claim false allegations are being shown and want them clarified so you can declare you never said that, even though you challenged another position.
My position on any of the subjects posted is quite clear, I've even used a few of the many scriptures show why I believe that way. But I will state one of my beliefs again. I do not and have not for some time believe that the Bible is a book to be read literally. If it was, then man could write or even rewrite the meaning of those scriptures and they have, although I think they prefer the word translate. If a book is written from a "parable" point using symbols then something done from that position cannot be misinterpreted since it is an "allegorical" story to show a symbolic sign. About the only way to interpret what is being shown is to: take no thought, Be still, cast your net to the right side, eastward was planted a garden, and go into your closet and shut the door. These are all pointing to meditation, not the Yoga style of meditation which is good for calming oneself, but a meditation to enter the Kingdom that dwells in the 90% of your mind you don't use. The 10% that we do use containing thoughts, emotions, ect. is then given up or tithed.
Those subjects the church has warned people to back away from because they are evil or of the (D)evil is the key that Christ talked about...Woe unto you, lawyers! for ye have taken away the key of knowledge: ye entered not in yourselves, and them that were entering in ye hindered.
And one part of that key of knowledge to enter into the Kingdom why you are alive, not dead, since God is a God of the living, not the dead, Mark 12:27, is Astrology, Job 38:31-33, in which is written the whole Biblical story in ancient Greek and Egyptian mystic symbolism, with numerology as part of that symbolism. An example of that is Rev. 13:18 and Rev. 14:1.

Yeah yeah….,the more the words the less the meaning. The fact remains that you made dishonest and incorrect allegations…. Perhaps what you posted could be viewed as accusations… but in any event, you shot off your mouth and when you were challenged, you declined to back up your statements and failed to justify your yourself.

Why? ….you failed to defend your allegations because you knew they were indefensible….. so you try the bob/weave and switch … "Lawyers?" ... you are the one placing yourself in this position..... not me,

Still doing it….. more yada yada…..

Edit to add: Brandolini's law, also known as the bullshit asymmetry principle, is an internet adage that emphasizes the difficulty of debunking false, facetious, or otherwise misleading information: "The amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is needed to produce it." (It is near impossble to debunk bullshit when the purveyor of bs refuses to ackknowledge basis truth and fact)

I suspect Brandolini had "dishonest debaters" in mind when he came up with this.....

Last edited by TF49; 12/03/21.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by antlers
The story of how we got ‘the Bible’ begins with a single event. An event that was so extraordinary that it was worth writing about.

The story of ‘the Bible’ does not begin with Genesis; the story of ‘the Bible’ actually begins with Jesus. The story of ‘the Bible’ actually begins in the first-century when Jesus’ tomb was found empty, and then later He was seen. And His cowardly followers who ran and hid when He was arrested…and later crucified…showed up in the streets of Jerusalem and said “He’s back, He’s alive from the dead.” They said this to the very power structure…the very men…who had Jesus crucified. And many Jewish people in the same area where Jesus was arrested and crucified…in the area of Judea and the city of Jerusalem…embraced Him as their savior.

And the church launched, the church began. And then there was interest in documenting the words and the works and the life of Jesus.

If Jesus had stayed dead, we likely would have never even heard of Him because there would have been no church, and there would have been no Christianity, and there would have been no ‘the Bible.’

The story of ‘the Bible’ actually begins with the resurrection of Jesus. And He is infinitely more important than “modern Christianity” and the church, etc.. And He always will be.

The original version of Christianity was an event-based faith; not a text-based faith. The shift from the resurrection of Jesus to a Bible centered faith…which was done by man…has left us with an anemic version of Christianity evidenced by a poor evangelistic effectiveness and an undermined credibility. Which is the clearly the polar opposite of the original, first-century version of Christianity.

So many people fighting and bickering, hateful and spiteful assertions and accusations, wholesale slaughter of countless numbers of people, manipulated for power and money, and countless people who have simply thrown their arms up in the air and walked away and/or want nothing to do with the faith…all over a book that didn’t even exist when Christianity first began.

The first century apologetic was not ‘the Bible.’ Period. And Apostle Peter’s living hope…the foundation of his faith…was not ‘the Bible.’ Period, on steroids.

There are all kinds of inaccuracies in your assertions… for one, Christianity was considered a sect of Judaism made up of Jewish followers. That was because Christ claimed to be the Messiah promised in the OT, and He Himself used those texts to explain His identity to the despairing disciples on the road to Emmaus.

Bigger than those, however, is your fundamental internal inconsistency; all the facts he uses to support his arguments come from the very book he is attempting to minimize.

I personally appreciate much of what you are trying to say regarding the historicity of the events surrounding our Lord’s life, death, burial, and resurrection. However I believe you have fallen into a modernist trap by allowing those good ideas to justify cutting at one of the epistemological basis for that historicity though.

Notice I say “one of”? I believe the Father has multiple means of calling people to Himself and He uses them all… His Spirit, Who works in concert with His text. They’re means by which He communicates to us His grace.

As for those who suggest that these conversations are just overly argumentative dogmatists hating on each other over the number of angels that fit on the head of a pin hear this; the Lord, the God of Israel and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ is a God of grace. I don TV claim to know the things of God to such an extent that I’d condemn those who contend for The Faith.

I do know, however, that He is a God of Truth, those who love Him do so by Faith in a Truth He has passed to us and I will contend for that.

I hope everyone reading this is as hopeful for the beauty of God Himself taking on flesh and dwelling among us as the Living Word! There can be nothing in all the universe with the power to change us into His likeness.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It’s OK that our opinions differ on some of these matters. We disagree on some of the non-essential beliefs; but I think we agree on the essential beliefs.

To me, Jesus came to establish something brand new to the world. He came to replace what had been in place since the time of Moses. He didn’t come to extend ancient Judaism; He didn’t come to establish Judaism 2.0; He created something brand new...a totally different way of approaching life, within the context of a brand new covenant that says "Your sin is paid for, now live a life that reflects the love and forgiveness of God as you mirror that in your love and forgiveness of the people around you." A better covenant, a broader covenant. A personal relationship with Him. No need for ANY mediators.

The entire Jewish scripture is organized around a covenant between God and His ancient people Israel. Apostle Paul was from the tribe of Benjamin, but he made it crystal clear with the coming of Jesus, there is a brand new covenant. Jesus made it crystal clear too, that there is a brand new covenant…and as a Gentile, modern Christians, even Jewish modern Christians, all are a part of this brand new covenant. And it is a better covenant with better promises.

The story of the Bible begins on Easter. The reason we have the Bible is because Jesus’ followers discovered that His tomb was empty, and they initially thought that someone had stolen the body; none of them assumed a resurrection. But later that same day, the women and His closest male followers saw Jesus and suddenly there were Jesus sightings all around Jerusalem, the very city in which He had been arrested and tried and eventually crucified.

When it was discovered that Jesus had risen from the dead, suddenly there was much more interest in the life of Jesus and Luke, a 1st century doctor, said that many people actually set out to give a documented account of the life of Jesus. Four of those documents that survived antiquity are the Gospels that are in the Bible today.

Gentiles began to embrace the message of Jesus because they became enamored with Jesus. And then they became enamored with the ancient sacred text of the Hebrews that told of His coming. So the early church got really interested in the Hebrew Scriptures, not because they were interested in Judaism, but because they were interested in Jesus.

They eventually embraced the Hebrew texts as sacred Scripture, but they didn’t embrace it as Jewish Scripture. They eventually embraced it as Christian Scripture, and somewhere toward the late 4th century, the Hebrew texts and the New Testament Christian texts were combined together and eventually called the Bible.

The Bible, as important as it is, did not create Christianity. Christianity is the result of an event that launched a movement, that produced texts, that were collected and protected and bound into a book that we call the Bible. If there had been no resurrection, there would be no Christianity, and there would be no ‘the Bible.’ Because the story of Jesus would not have been worth telling had there been no resurrection.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Who considered it a sect?

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Antlers, you really should be a guest speaker at our church
I compare you favorably to Doctor James Dury, James gave a talk on the Reformation, and I've never been in Any gartering when you could have heard a pin drop.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
You know what would be cool? If there were some infallible source of information about God and religion that everyone could reference so we wouldn't have these disagreements.

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Like this?[Linked Image from telegraph.co.uk]

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Exactly not like that.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I"ve seen that too. I believe they were reliable sources, at least that's what they told us.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by dassa
You know what would be cool? If there were some infallible source of information about God and religion that everyone could reference so we wouldn't have these disagreements.

People refuse authority; we argue the unarguable.

Jesus came and did miracles demonstrating He was who He said He was and we killed Him.

People even argue about things as fixed as sexuality now.

The problem isn’t God’s revelation of Himself to us; it’s our hearts which refuse His claims upon us.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

The disciples did. The Jewish & Roman authorities did. Read Peter’s sermon (to a Jewish audience in Jerusalem) on the first Pentecost to hear this clearly.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Antlers, you really should be a guest speaker at our church
I compare you favorably to Doctor James Dury, James gave a talk on the Reformation, and I've never been in Any gartering when you could have heard a pin drop.

Do realize that he denies the need for scripture, Christ in the Old Testament?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

"Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels."

It sounds like you are a man of the Word.
Not everyone here agrees with that truth.
Just be aware that some of us already made the mistake of not thoroughly vetting guest speakers so that others can learn from our mistakes. That was one of my biggest regrets looking back and I am reminded every time I read the N.T. through.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Crappy, Wabi wants Antlers to come preach at his church.
I wonder why he didn't ask you?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
John 1: 1-4

John 1: 14-15

1 John 1: 1-2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Hey Crappy, Wabi wants Antlers to come preach at his church.
I wonder why he didn't ask you?

I wonder why you turn people away from the Lord?
The church of Set must be looking for more members.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 12/04/21.
Page 8 of 10 1 2 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

691 members (12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 72 invisible), 3,047 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,267
Posts18,467,209
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.