D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Thanks for all the quick replies.
Does this look like a good option?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102112373?pid=784840

Yes that will work. Or he can call Timney and he can tell them the trigger pull weight he wants and they will set it and send him the trigger.
I have done that several times they set it like I want it and all I do is install it. Easy peasy.

Deans

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

“Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
ISAIAH 41:10
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This year antelope hunting a friend had a 700 go off when he took the safety off. I was walking behind him and he was setting up for a shot. Bullet hit the dirt mere feet in front of him. I detest any box trigger but have to admit it could be partially because of poor maintenance. The gun is 40 years old and has never been taken apart and cleaned.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I had a 300wm that i bought in high school back in the late 80s. it was a bdl custom deluxe and it shot 1/2 inch moa with rem core-lokt 180gr ammo. I could not believe it but the thing just shot good. during elk season we were all in a small area during elk season(spike only, unicorn as we call them here) when all of a sudden the fog rolled in and then the elk started running around not knowing what was going on. I dont know why but it was crazy. Every elk in the area seemed like they were around us. thre was a herd of about 40 that came into the small meadow i was watching and they all froze dead center in the middle. the guy next to me shot and wounded a cow. that split the herd a little and there were like 4 spikes in the herd and the stupid one steps forward enough to give me a shot and one and done. it started to rain and my buds helped me with game cart to get animal out but one of the had a 7mm mag that keep fogging up so we switch guns so i can take it back to camp and he can hunt with mine. long story short, he come back to camp with everyone else and hands me my gun, i take the saftey off to unload the gun and it discharges into the ground. I sold the gun for cheap not knowing any better. wish i would have thought of a after market triger.Damn good rifle,but heavy.

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 700LH
Has the trigger been adjusted?
Clean it well using lighter fluid.
There are some good instructions online

Not a chance I mess with it, buy a better trigger and be done.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Wish i did buy a new trigger but hind site is 20/20 i guess.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by prplbkrr
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
Thanks for all the quick replies.
Does this look like a good option?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102112373?pid=784840

The summary indicate that it will fit. Go for it. I would set the trigger pressure at 3.25 - 3.50 lbs.

Exactly....this is a good option. First couple of years I had both my sons starting hunting I had 3 different Remington 700s in 270, 243, and 7mm08. Managing ammo and guns with everyone having something different was a pain so I bought both my sons Rem 700 270w mountain rifles. I have the 700 titanium also in 270w. A few years ago one of my sons rifles discharged as I was taking the safety off, I had it pointed up in the air and away from everybody. Scared the hell out of me. That Christmas I bought Timney triggers for all 3 of our rifles and installed them and set at 3.5 lbs. That was the one and only time I've had that happen and for over 50 yrs I've owned other Remington rifles in Model 7 and 722 and I've replaced those triggers with the Timney also

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fishingnut71
I had a 300wm that i bought in high school back in the late 80s. it was a bdl custom deluxe and it shot 1/2 inch moa with rem core-lokt 180gr ammo. I could not believe it but the thing just shot good. during elk season we were all in a small area during elk season(spike only, unicorn as we call them here) when all of a sudden the fog rolled in and then the elk started running around not knowing what was going on. I dont know why but it was crazy. Every elk in the area seemed like they were around us. thre was a herd of about 40 that came into the small meadow i was watching and they all froze dead center in the middle. the guy next to me shot and wounded a cow. that split the herd a little and there were like 4 spikes in the herd and the stupid one steps forward enough to give me a shot and one and done. it started to rain and my buds helped me with game cart to get animal out but one of the had a 7mm mag that keep fogging up so we switch guns so i can take it back to camp and he can hunt with mine. long story short, he come back to camp with everyone else and hands me my gun, i take the saftey off to unload the gun and it discharges into the ground. I sold the gun for cheap not knowing any better. wish i would have thought of a after market triger.Damn good rifle,but heavy.

That story is believable. The "lifting the bolt" story is not.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If your Rem 700 rifle "accidentally discharged" ....

that translates to ...... YOU fu c k ed up & any damage sustained is 100% YOUR responsibility .....

STOP trying to blame others for your inherent, complete & absolute stupidity

"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even if it's an ADL you don't need to go into battery to unload this weapon.
Sorry you had a discharge "incamp" I'm very grateful no one was hurt.

Wishing you all the best.

This guy should install an after-market trigger. I know you already heard that.

Take care, thanks for sharing your story. Hopefully this may help someone else.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by fishingnut71

That story is believable. The "lifting the bolt" story is not.

^^^^^^^^^^
This

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by local_dirt
If it were me, I would consider it my obligation to immediately fix a gun with a trigger that dispenses AD's.

IMO, He should have fixed it after the first time that happened.

Gee, Ya think???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had an old one I bought. Ran the bolt on it and when I took the safety off the firing pin dropped. The trigger was so gummed up with varnish it was stuck. So it was basically stuck in the fire position. Soaked it in kroil for a few days and then flushed it out and then it worked as intended.

Last edited by Futura; 12/04/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As others have said, 700’s are reputed to fire when the safety is taken off, not when the bolt is lifted.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bellydeep
As others have said, 700’s are reputed to fire when the safety is taken off, not when the bolt is lifted.

I've seen it (off safety fire) happen once, and once was enough. The issue was dealt with the next day.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If he really wants it fixed, Get him to have a Gentry 3 Position safety installed. Slightly pricey, but peace of mind is a good thing and accidently killing someone is not good. . With the Gentry he can unload it with the safety on and the firing pin blocked. Those ADL's have to have every round shucked out to unload them.
I used to have a pic on my phone of a guys leg about blown off below the knee. you guessed it , Model 700 270Win. Ugly wound and he about bled to death.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Old Sorry Azz Chuck gets lots of those discharges while watching movies like The 300.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If he wants to replace the trigger a Trigger Tech is the way to go. However, two things wrong here;1 he hit the trigger lifting the bolt and either did not realize it or won’t admit it, 2 why was he clearing a rifle in camp when it should have been cleared before that?
GreggH

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I had one I bought in 1979, that did that several times....

I only used it when I was out by myself, before I got wise and just took out the trigger and replaced it....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by local_dirt
If it were me, I would consider it my obligation to immediately fix a gun with a trigger that dispenses AD's.

IMO, He should have fixed it after the first time that happened.

Gee, Ya think???

Yes. I do. Sometimes the obvious can't be overstated.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Daveinjax
Or pull the old trigger and clean it with brake cleaner ! After cleaning douse it with lighter fluid and reassemble. Make sure he’s not using so much oil on the bolt it runs down into the trigger. Yes the old style trigger was prone to failure but it took dirt and dried oil to get it there. I’m all for a new trigger but even the much better triggers are susceptible to failures from poor maintenance.

If I were going to pull the old trigger for an extensive cleaning like that I'd just go ahead and replace it. It's more than just a safety issue it will give him a far better trigger as well. Simple as dirt to do as well.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 46 invisible), 3,294 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,292
Posts18,467,960
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.