Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Primer bulbs will dry rot dad in law said rub Vaseline on them to preserve I’ve replaced a few

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
I use the premix VP racing fuel 50 to 1. If you loose your octane rating from old gas a Stihl saw won’t start worth a crap, period! Might be worth a try before buying a new saw.

Good idea

My gas is the cheap 87 octane and its been bulk stored since May
had stabilizer in it but it was cheap gas from the get go

I should have known better.

Don't know crap about gas in Tennessee, but,
we have summer and winter gas here.

The difference is how it vaporized with temp.
Summer gas won't evaporite/vaporize as well at low temps.
That makes for harder starting. Your older ethanol/gas was
likely summer blend, if it's pretty cool that would add to the trouble.

By now you should have winter blend. You really can't tell, the
people in the stations won't have a dam clue. It's determined by the
EPA/fuel companies.

Ethanol free, or at least 93 octane is all that goes in my 2 cycle stuff.
Guys don't want to hear it, but you have an engine running 12-13k rpm
at no load. 10,000 in the cut. That's a high performance engine that
will benefit from some pampering.

Buy a Husky or Dolmar/Makita, those rpms may go up to 14,500.

My cars get 87. It's good enough for that application.
Not a gas snob.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Husqvarna has gone to hell id get a echo

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My Sthils start right up, but I take them to a guy once a year to fine tune them, charges 35.00 bucks. My 2 cycle motors do way better since I started buying the store bought mix.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Do you think it makes them easier to start?

My Stihls are getting to where ya have to pull em 35 times to fire em up.

Thinking about switching to a brand with a primer bulb. I need input if this makes a difference

I’ll hang up and listen

are your rings toast?
try pulling the plug swabbing a little oil around the cylinder wall just above the piston.
if it starts easier your rings are probably worn.
extra fuel won't help low compression...

Old man is onto something.

The quick and dirty compression test is to grab the pull start handle,
And try to pick the saw up.

If you can lift the saw, good compression.
If it lifts and the string comes out too. Stihl good.
If the string comes out without lifting the saw at all, not good.

To posts, now on topic.

Weed eater has one, really don't think it helps a lot. Still has a choke,
still need it.

As to saws?
I've on my seen them on toy saws.
Never a Pro-saw.....

Echo makes nice homeowner saws.
Easy starting is one of their best known attributes.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Primer bulbs will dry rot dad in law said rub Vaseline on them to preserve I’ve replaced a few

I got a 10 pack of bulbs off Amazon for my weed eater and leaf blower
Like $3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

My Stihls are getting to where ya have to pull em 35 times to fire em up I’ll hang up and listen

If this is an older saw, have a vacuum test done to check your crankcase/crankshaft seals. The fuel pump works off of crankcase pressure. No crankcase pressure, no fuel.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Thinking about switching to a brand with a primer bulb. I need input if this makes a difference

I’ll hang up and listen

are your rings toast?
try pulling the plug swabbing a little oil around the cylinder wall just above the piston.
if it starts easier your rings are probably worn.
extra fuel won't help low compression...

Old man is onto something.

The quick and dirty compression test is to grab the pull start handle,
And try to pick the saw up.

If you can lift the saw, good compression.
If it lifts and the string comes out too. Stihl good.
If the string comes out without lifting the saw at all, not good.

To posts, now on topic.

Weed eater has one, really don't think it helps a lot. Still has a choke,
still need it.

As to saws?
I've on my seen them on toy saws.
Never a Pro-saw.....

Echo makes nice homeowner saws.
Easy starting is one of their best known attributes.

I'll agree echo saws are not commercial saws. I love the brand and will not stop buying them. I will say the 36" saw is a beast. I don't use it much but when need to it runs.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Put a new carb on it and throw away the old crap gas. Forget the stabil, if the gas is so old that you need to think of that then you need new fuel. Only use fresh non-ethanol and never 87 octane. I have a source in town of 93 octane non-ethanol, it solved my two stroke problems.

When you put up the saw drain the tank and run it til it quits. If you’re going to store fuel then use the metal cans the pre-mix stuff comes in, don’t store it in plastic. Any fuel more than a couple months old should be dumped.

Crap fuel is the death of small engines.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Don't matter what make you have, after a couple pulls get out the starting fluid...it's your friend.

Easy's gettin' harder everyday
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Have two 30 year old Redmax saws without a bulb that were fed nothing but cheap ethanol gas since day one. They both have started within a few pulls even after sitting for nearly a year. The first problem with either was just this week. Had to replace the fuel tank grommet on the G561AVS.
Since the Redmax saws were getting old and parts are nonexistent, I started shopping for replacements a couple months ago. My brother runs several Stihls and suggested the ms261c. However, I decided on Echo since the dealer is close to me.
Bought a CS620P 24" no bulb, CS3510 16" w/bulb and a slightly used CS352 w/bulb (didn't need another 35cc saw but for $100 with three new chains I couldn't not buy it).
All start within three pulls.
Fixed up and sold a few Craftsman/Poulan saws with and without a bulb. All started easily in a few pulls.

So, in my experience:
Bulb or no bulb makes no difference. Just one more component to go bad.
87 Ethanol gas makes no difference. However, I just filled all of our cans with nonethanol + Stabil and bought a bunch of overpriced True Fuel for SHTF storage.
Proper maintenance makes a big difference. Clean filter and saw after each use. New plug once per year.
Most important is keeping fuel clean and free of sawdust.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Here's what Stihl says about ethanol and octane:

https://www.stihlusa.com/information/articles/gasoline-guidelines-outdoor-power-equipment/

The ethanol thing always causes a fuss amongst small engine users and boaters. Usually it falls out with folks from the Northeast and West saying it makes no difference and folks from the South saying it's the devil. I know that my engine problems went down by orders of magnitude when I swore off of ethanol fuel for my small engines and my boat. In my vehicles I burn the cheapest stuff I can find, usually 10% ethanol 87 octane. The difference in the South is our humidity, we've got a lot more than other parts of the country. Ethanol fuel reacts badly with humidity, it absorbs more moisture from the air down here. Ethanol fuel doesn't store well down here for that reason. For a fuel injected engine I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference, especially in vehicles where the fuel is burned in a matter of days instead of sitting in the tank months at a times. My boat has a fuel injected four stroke and I could probably get away with E10 in it even though I don't use it that much. I just like the extra peace of mine with non-ethanol although I'm fine with using 87 octane. For anything with a carburetor though I'm adamant that nothing other than non-ethanol will touch mine. Chainsaws, weedeaters, ATV's, etc. If it's got a carb I'm not putting ethanol fuel in it, I've had too much trouble over the years from it. It degrades too quickly in my environment and I've replaced or rebuilt too many carburetors from it. The higher octane stuff is a no-brainer in small two strokes, the price difference is insignificant.

Bottom line, use high quality fresh gas in your small engines. Put the crap stuff in your car or truck, they'll run off of anything.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds good

I used to do that but got lax.

We have a fuel terminal in town about 25 miles from the house. I need to get 5 gals of 93 no eth and do up my wheeler and freshen up my saw gas

Probably over $4 a gallon but I gotta get back to doing it.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Valsdad
You put some Seafoam in it?

Or at least some Sta-Bil storage?

Marvel Mystery?

Please tell me you put something in it.

He put something in it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I’ll hang up and listen

I have two without and one with, fresh fuel makes a bigger difference.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Ethanol is likely the culprit on the majority of poor running small engines, 2 or 4 cycle.

I fought with this issue for years especially in my 2 cycles. I ran all of the typical ethanol treatments, helped but problems still came back. I ran across a product called "Mechanic in a Bottle" that was designed to help poor running engines due to ethanol (see below). I figured, what can it hurt, bought some and was amazed at the results! I had a poor running generator that had a 4-position choke lever, I had to leave it at the highest choke setting to keep it running. After using "Mechanic in a bottle" it will allow me to completely turn off the choke. I have used it on multiple chain saws and weed eaters that were extremely poor running, worked on all of them! I have even used it on a couple that would not run at all, simply flooded engine/carburetor with it, let it sit 1-2 days, started up after flushing. The older engines are not designed for ethanol, the newer ones seem to fare better. Before anyone does anything drastic, try it, at best you will be out $5 for a bottle.

"Mechanic In A Bottle is the solution to FIX poor or non-running 2 and 4 cycle engines due to modern fuel issues. This synthetic fuel additive removes all varnish in the fuel system without having to remove the carburetor, removes carbon deposits and water, revitalizes rubber and plastic components, replaces lost octane and rejuvenates old fuel."

Have you noticed that in the higher humidity environments your gas cans with ethanol-based fuel will turn black, actually gets a fungus/mold on it. This can also be seen at all fuel refinery's, storage areas, all of their tanks or lines that carry ethanol-based fuels will get this mold. It is also prevalent around whisky/bourbon distilleries and storage/aging warehouses. The fungus literally grows and covers everything, this is from the evaporating ethanol. Google the multiple articles about MGP Distillery in Greendale Indiana and their legal issues and problems with the local residents, will show pics of their cars and houses literally covered in this fungus however deemed harmless to people.

Morale of the story; use ethanol free fuels when available, when not available always use an ethanol shield/treatment in your fuel. When having problems with your small engines, give "mechanic in a bottle" a try, what do you have to lose. Alot of the service stores/technicians use it on customers poor running engines and charge high dollar service fees, they love issues related to ethanol, easy money for them!

Disclaimer, I have nothing to gain from individuals purchasing this product. I am simply a consumer like you that is trying to rectify issues with poor running issues due to ethanol.

Good luck

Millerish

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I bought a stihl 500i this spring. It has one, but it isn't a primer. It pressurizes the fuel injection system

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Millerish
Ethanol is likely the culprit on the majority of poor running small engines, 2 or 4 cycle.

I fought with this issue for years especially in my 2 cycles. I ran all of the typical ethanol treatments, helped but problems still came back. I ran across a product called "Mechanic in a Bottle" that was designed to help poor running engines due to ethanol (see below). I figured, what can it hurt, bought some and was amazed at the results! I had a poor running generator that had a 4-position choke lever, I had to leave it at the highest choke setting to keep it running. After using "Mechanic in a bottle" it will allow me to completely turn off the choke. I have used it on multiple chain saws and weed eaters that were extremely poor running, worked on all of them! I have even used it on a couple that would not run at all, simply flooded engine/carburetor with it, let it sit 1-2 days, started up after flushing. The older engines are not designed for ethanol, the newer ones seem to fare better. Before anyone does anything drastic, try it, at best you will be out $5 for a bottle.

"Mechanic In A Bottle is the solution to FIX poor or non-running 2 and 4 cycle engines due to modern fuel issues. This synthetic fuel additive removes all varnish in the fuel system without having to remove the carburetor, removes carbon deposits and water, revitalizes rubber and plastic components, replaces lost octane and rejuvenates old fuel."

Have you noticed that in the higher humidity environments your gas cans with ethanol-based fuel will turn black, actually gets a fungus/mold on it. This can also be seen at all fuel refinery's, storage areas, all of their tanks or lines that carry ethanol-based fuels will get this mold. It is also prevalent around whisky/bourbon distilleries and storage/aging warehouses. The fungus literally grows and covers everything, this is from the evaporating ethanol. Google the multiple articles about MGP Distillery in Greendale Indiana and their legal issues and problems with the local residents, will show pics of their cars and houses literally covered in this fungus however deemed harmless to people.

Morale of the story; use ethanol free fuels when available, when not available always use an ethanol shield/treatment in your fuel. When having problems with your small engines, give "mechanic in a bottle" a try, what do you have to lose. Alot of the service stores/technicians use it on customers poor running engines and charge high dollar service fees, they love issues related to ethanol, easy money for them!

Disclaimer, I have nothing to gain from individuals purchasing this product. I am simply a consumer like you that is trying to rectify issues with poor running issues due to ethanol.

Good luck

Millerish

I had a fuel terminal customer when I still had a job. That black funk was everywhere.

I like the primer bulb until it rots out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds good

I used to do that but got lax.

We have a fuel terminal in town about 25 miles from the house. I need to get 5 gals of 93 no eth and do up my wheeler and freshen up my saw gas

Probably over $4 a gallon but I gotta get back to doing it.

Couple weeks ago i filled up my SXS for deer hunting.

Only couple local places have non ethanol. Only one open on Sunday. It was $3.85/ gal.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I bought a stihl 500i this spring. It has one, but it isn't a primer. It pressurizes the fuel injection system

How do you like that saw?
Haven't had a chance to even fondle one, but have watched a bunch of
videos. Seems they are pretty awesome, except one guy didn't like it
for cutting smaller wood.
It didn't respond quite right to the on/off cycles of the throttle.

But it's not meant to be a firewood saw.

Don't know about the injection on that, but ethanol doesn't seem
to affect injected cars. I had a mid 90s Subaru sitting in the yard as
a parts car for almost three years. Had robbed the battery early, so
it was never started. Sold it last fall.

A guy showed up with a battery, almost dead. Gave it a jump,
And the car fired up with about 3 normal tries. Ran fine.
I couldn't believe it. A junkyard friend assures me that's pretty normnal.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (10gaugemag, 35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,602 guests, and 739 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,557
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.