Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
90% of the blades I send out are between 3” and 3 1/2” cutting edge.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I killed my first cow elk in '95 and I used a 7 inch Cold Steel Recon Tanto (the old Carbon V steel) to field dress, rip up the brisket and all, and it would still shave hair afterward! ha It was great for that job. I didn't split the pelvis, reamed the rectum.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I used a 5" blade for years, a buck 105. Have it damn near worn out so last year i picked up a 113 ranger skinner which is a little over 3". The shorter blade is definetly a bit more user friendly and controllable for better cuts, I've cut my hand a few times over the years with that longer knife.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After I shot my leopard a few years ago in Mozambique, I went back to where the staff were skinning it, took out my 2" pocket knife, and asked them if they wanted me to help. They all got a good laugh at my small knife.

Actually, for many years I dressed and skinned all of my deer, elk, sheep, moose, etc with a 6 or 7" fixed blade hunting knife. Now I use a 5" Swing blade and a 4 or 5"
folding Razor bladeknife.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have no need for a blade that is any longer than then the width of palm of my hand. Anything longer just gets in the way when butchering/ dressing an animal.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have big hands and like a longer blade. A Buck 119, the Schrade 153UH. 5 to 6 inch blades work for me. Sharp is the most important aspect. I wear one of these all the time. Just about wore out the second one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If I am fishing this knife is easier to clean fish with.

For a pocket knife I like this style, have worn out several of them. Wish they still made them with the hole.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by catnthehat
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The Puma folder is what I use for field dressing since 1992, the Marttiini belt knife also goes with me for field dressing moose as well.
The main blade on the Puma is 3 1/4", the Marttiini is 5"
Cat

Ooo...I would not like to be ponying up the coin for a mint one of that model Puma now, it would hurt.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by catnthehat
The Puma folder is what I use for field dressing since 1992, the Marttiini belt knife also goes with me for field dressing moose as well.
The main blade on the Puma is 3 1/4", the Marttiini is 5"
Cat

Ooo...I would not like to be ponying up the coin for a mint one of that model Puma now, it would hurt.

No kidding, I was stunned when I found out what those things cost!
My son eas gifted a NIB identical one by our good friend Hornhead, but he has yet to use it, he is all about Grohnann knives .
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12/04/21.

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I killed my first cow elk in '95 and I used a 7 inch Cold Steel Recon Tanto (the old Carbon V steel) to field dress, rip up the brisket and all, and it would still shave hair afterward! ha It was great for that job. I didn't split the pelvis, reamed the rectum.

I dont know what goofy Outdoor writer started the idea that a short knife was better....I fell for it for years

I prefer a 6 to 7" blade for field dressing for that very reason reaming the rectum.

Then followed by an unzipping with the Wyoming knife.

Then up the brisket with the big knife...reach in and cut the wind pipe loose and never let go of the wind pipe until you stand up.
With a few more cuts on the diaphragm I can stand up with the deers entire entrails in my hand in short order.

4" blades are great for trimming your nails, whittling and working the hide off and light trimming.....

See how many butchers you can find that use a snub nose knife.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Buck 118 is about 5”, four would be better.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
This is my field knife. 5” semi-flex Forschner. Have used it for years and lots and lots of critters. Down to about 4.5” now. I use a 6” curved when breaking critters at home in my shop but I like the straight thin blade for bung reaming. I don’t split pelvises. This style is super nice when going gutless and boning out lions and quarters.

I used to have a slightly longer and thicker steel for it but as of last spring that is on a mountain in Idaho next to a bear carcass.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by MedRiver
This is my field knife. 5” semi-flex Forschner. Have used it for years and lots and lots of critters. Down to about 4.5” now. I use a 6” curved when breaking critters at home in my shop but I like the straight thin blade for bung reaming. I don’t split pelvises. This style is super nice when going gutless and boning out lions and quarters.

I used to have a slightly longer and thicker steel for it but as of last spring that is on a mountain in Idaho next to a bear carcass.

Hard to argue against that rig.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
2.75 - 4.00”… but it depends on the knife build. My favorite fixed blade is the Grohmann Canadian Belt Knife. Its blade feels “smaller” than its 4” would suggest. Probably because it’s design encourages one to choke up on it. Other knives (like an Ingram) I prefer a 3.25” blade.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by rickt300

. . For a pocket knife I like this style, have worn out several of them. Wish they still made them with the hole.

That's a single clip blade ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Our answers are all over for the blade lengths, but what we haven’t specified is if the knife is being used for field dressing, boning or final portion preparation. As written earlier I do like something in the 3” or a little over range with a drop point for field dressing, but a longer, thinner knife for under the tail and final clean up back at the meat pole. An even longer one works well for final portion processing. When I worked at the packing house I ordered one of the Dexter knives that we used to cut tenderloins. That knife has a 12 1/4” blade because restaurant grade good meat should be cut with one cut all the way through so there isn’t a bunch of saw marks through the meat.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rickt300
I have big hands and like a longer blade. A Buck 119, the Schrade 153UH. 5 to 6 inch blades work for me. Sharp is the most important aspect. I wear one of these all the time. Just about wore out the second one.

If I am fishing this knife is easier to clean fish with.

For a pocket knife I like this style, have worn out several of them. Wish they still made them with the hole.

Rick, I can tell you are from Texas! I have/or had those same knives! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use several knives and select one specific to the hunt/task. When gutting and not cutting open the chest I prefer a 2 3/4 bladed fixed, easy to clean and less chance of cutting myself and extremely light to carry. If cutting open the chest I use a 5" fixed blade. Here in SD where we drive around and shoot deer one of my several 3" folders are used for gutting.

Elk hunting was always a walking and carrying a pack and a #7 Ingram with a 3 1/2 blade was used on the majority of my hunts.

Once home I use a Tim Olt bull nose for skinning, An F. Dick 5" flexible boner is used for the vast majority of my butcher work.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several B&T knives that I like to carry while bird hunting and a handful of Marbles, Winston, Bark River, Rapid River big game knives but a Cold Steel USA made Carbon V Master Hunter is my go to.

For butchering I use an Ontario skinner and Victorinox boning knife.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
I have several B&T knives that I like to carry while bird hunting and a handful of Marbles, Winston, Bark River, Rapid River big game knives but a Cold Steel USA made Carbon V Master Hunter is my go to.

How do you like the Cold steel blade? I'm making a few Christmas gifts out of their steel.

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76

How do you like the Cold steel blade? I'm making a few Christmas gifts out of their steel.

W. Bill

It’s changed formulas over the years but the Carbon V steel that I have is excellent. It holds a good edge and touches up easily. The blade profile on the Master Hunter has a lot of spine and belly but with a fine enough point that it’s a useful all around knife minus delicate work on small animals. Great big game and camp knife with enough heft and spine to break down a critter into small pieces pretty easily.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
387 members (204guy, 280shooter, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 47 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.