Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Even with good cover (which has a huge impact)…

It’s something like 3-5% survival after a year for pen raised birds… so transplants are going to be best if you can get them.

BP-B2

D
dale06 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Even with good cover (which has a huge impact)…

It’s something like 3-5% survival after a year for pen raised birds… so transplants are going to be best if you can get them.

According to Kansas fish and game, that’s not legal.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Good predator control and a couple of these Surrogator's and you should have all the Birds you can handle.

https://wildlifemanagementtechnologies.com/products/traditional-surrogator

Last edited by dedity; 12/04/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’ve watched a few videos about how they raise and stock birds for the driven-bird trade in Britain. Seems to work very well, but pretty involved. Game is well-provided for there, cover, predator control, and a variety of crops.

Used to hunt a stable, healthy population of wild pheasants in South-Central PA. Still not entirely certain about what happened to it, but it’s a great loss.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Several years ago I organized an effort where a large public property that didn't allow any pheasant hunting but held a strong population, let me trap and transplant wild pheasant to properties in adjoining counties where habitat improvement was underway.

I trapped the birds using corn-baited walk-in traps in late winter. One thing to anticipate is roosters often seem easier to trap than hens. They are more bold, probably require more food, so in some cases roosters became "trap happy" and could be repeatedly trapped if not translocated. I was putting bands on them to help estimate the overall population size in addition to tracking translocations.

I didn't have my own property to release birds onto, so didn't appear self-serving. However, a local sportsman's club covered the costs of my gas and hours. We also asked recipients of birds to "donate" to the project at some nominal level so there was strictly speaking no "sale" of these wild birds. Some landowners received birds if they had very good looking habitat, and even if they donated nothing.

I had a good relationship with the local state game managers, as did the sportsmans' club, so the state didn't elect to require excessive levels of permitting or red tape that could have made the project onerous. If you know of a strong source of unhunted birds elsewhere in Kansas you might be able to organize a similar effort.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
638 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 55 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.