Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
When you get to be my age, running is not so fast!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Akita

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Uncle pimpy's axe palace.

Googlefu it.

Wasp spray works better than pepper spray. Just sayinn...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I often make things just to see if I can do a better job or a lower cost semblance of things I could buy. This was made from a 7/8" bamboo mop handle, 20 ounce solid brass handle, a store bought tip and good two part boat epoxy. The tip is slightly too large and I should replace it for it to be perfect but it doesn't bother me nearly as much now as when I first made it. It is insanely strong, very slightly springy and perfectly balanced. I haven't whacked anything with it as it's purpose is a cane but it was built for it if needed.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'm thinking plastic, it will pass the medal detectors.

So will a ceramic knife...

Harbor Freight sells them for $8

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here's one made from a pine mop handle and a hollow brass porpoise. I filled the porpoise with no. 4 shot and epoxy to get the weight right. It's very comfortable, stable and sturdy but not as much as the ball head one. Also not springy at all. A hook in a cane adds a whole new dimension if it ever has to be used for defense and the owner is willing to train. I bought the porpoise head advertised as solid. Their definition of solid brass and mine were not the same.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When asked I have suggested for the non firearms folks for home based defense the following suggestions. Place a golf club behind every lockable interior door that controls access to a room. That way each room could become your alamo and a striking weapon is in place if needed. Baseball bats are just as useful none of the are illegal. Last, those items can be purchased at yard sales for cheap and add security without much output of time or money.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Next up on the hit parade but not for defense unless last ditch. This is a piece of red stag antler I got already carved from ebay. I have a piece of 1" bocote with serious character for the shaft but I haven't gotten around to making it yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
If you can't carry a firearm, carry a knife.

That said, what the very vast majority of people need is training. Most people are grossly incompetent and are delusional if they think that they will suddenly have the skills to handle a younger stronger, skilled attacker/attackers.

I cannot tell you how many times over the course of carrying a gun for a living for decades I have had dudes square up/ bow up and say something to the effect of:

I am not going jail
I am not going back to prison
I am going to whup your ass
You aint man enough

Blah blah blah

only to find themselves being made into an asphalt angel and wondering what just happened.

It was not because I was bigger, or stronger.

It is simply because, much like shooting, lifting weights, running, or anything else, you have to actually develop skill sets and maintain them.

Martial skills require training and practice.

Men, primarily due to egos puff up. They cannot stand the reality check of someone either telling or showing them that they are grossly under prepared or incompetent and that their fantasies of sending the bad men scurrying like in the movies is simply not reality. Going and taking some Brazilian jiu-jitsu will humble you pretty quickly, especially when you are 200 pounds and a 140 pound dude whos 6"s shorter than you destroys you in 30 seconds.

My old partner was a serious BJJ practitioner and a little dude. He was quite advanced in the sport, and no matter how hard I tried, I could never get the upper hand on him. Neither could anyone else in my organization. He checked a lot of egos.

So before you go and buy a magic talisman and think that it will ward off evil, remember that there are over 3,000 BJJ gyms in the US alone and a BUNCH of mixed martial arts gyms that practice other forms. So relying on "Hope" as a strategy that your attackers will be weak and/or incompetent is foolish at best. Most attackers make a point of not attacking stronger opponents. They attack prey that they believe they can overpower/dominate.

Bottom line is you may want to consider doing something besides buying a stick and relying on hope.

Knife should be a given like Roger said.

Like Mackay stated, join a MMA gym. Train in BJJ every chance you get. Go to at least 1 boxing or Muay Thai class a week.

Nothing wrong with having good non-firearm weapons but if you're close enough to hit someone with something you're close enough for them to take you down and then you're toast if you aren't skilled (standing or on the ground).

Originally Posted by RicksonGracie

I am a shark, the ground is my ocean, and most people can't even swim.

How dafuk is an old fart like myself with reconstructed shoulders and knees going to do any sort of Muay Thai or BJJ?

L
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
L
Interesting read. Just be nice......

IC B3

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
All the weapons in the world are useless without two things. First, you have to know what is coming before it gets you. Second, you have to have the mindset and will to use whatever you have to win, no matter what. If you don’t have these, avoidance and impeccable conversation skills are your best bet. Best way to win a fight? Don’t be there for it. Anything else is Plan B.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I carry one of those heavy duty ASP batons.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bcp

"What should i carry in a dangerous place?"

"Don't go there."

Bruce

You want to defend yourself.
The above is the most effective thing going.
When possible follow it.

Started long haul trucking at 21.
Ran 48 states and Canada. Guns, big knives, pepper spray, brass knuckles,
Even tire billies were illegal somewhere.

Carried a 3" plain blade lockback, a knockoff Mag-lite, and used a
ball pien as a tire knocker. The light and hammer were kept by the seat, with a can of foaming wasp spray.

The biggest thing is to avoid trouble.
I couldn't choose my locations, but when possible I did.

Park where you have lighting, if possible.
As close to the buildings as possible.
Only walk where you can maintain a good field of vision.
Keep your eyes moving, check all movement.
Be careful of corners.
Bathrooms were always a concern for me.
Usually deserted at night, blind corners, secluded, tight quarters,
Usually only one exit, and you are pretty vulnerable poppingva squat.
Didn't use the sketchy ones to take a leak. Was much better to
just "cool the tires".

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Lot's of good advice, Thanks all!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by OldGrayWolf
All the weapons in the world are useless without two things. First, you have to know what is coming before it gets you. Second, you have to have the mindset and will to use whatever you have to win, no matter what. If you don’t have these, avoidance and impeccable conversation skills are your best bet. Best way to win a fight? Don’t be there for it. Anything else is Plan B.

I Agree!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
208 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.