L
Makes for a happy dog.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Love it! My favorite kind of water fowling. So, how'd you do? My dog would have to stay home as she can't sit still in a blind.

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Did pretty well. No layout blind, and only 12 silos.. a very spartan setup. I drove by the field the day before. There was heavy fog that day and I thought I saw a big pivot out in the middle of the field. Lots of geese. So I thought I would just go out and sit on one of the pivot wheels. Reasonable plan... Except there wasn't a pivot. So I just walked out to the middle of the field and laid down next to my decoys. It totally worked! The dog just sat next to me.
If you zoom in on that first picture you can see a little rainbow.. zoom just to the right of that and you'll see a bunch of geese coming in. That's what the dog is staring at. Shot two out of that bunch.

Last edited by longarm; 11/25/21.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice! Sometimes simpler is better. Keep blasting those honkers!

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks friend, will be out there tomorrow with the hound
Hope you're doing well

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Simple is often the way to go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wish the birds around here would be uneducated enough we could still hunt them like this

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Wildfowl
Today I went out to the same area. Same setup but with three times the decoys. Again we had thousands of geese wanting to put in to the set.. only this time they suddenly flared off before cupping their wings and dropping in.

One difference between today and the other days I've been hunting successfully here was that today my buddy brought his yellow Lab, which to my eyes stuck out like a lit light bulb In this otherwise dark field.
We covered the dog with a camo hunting jacket and I managed to scratch down a goose shortly after. Still fun but not a brilliant day.

Was it the dog? The fact that they have seen these decoys before?
Dunno

Last edited by longarm; 12/01/21.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dry field hunting should be experienced by every waterfowl hunter at some point.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
^ BAM!

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Those Willamette valley geese get educated REAL fast. It's incredibly frustrating to have literally 1000's of birds flying over and not even coming close to committing. If you want a challenging goose hunt, come to the valley at the end of January and try to fill a limit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm
Did pretty well. No layout blind, and only 12 silos.. a very spartan setup. I drove by the field the day before. There was heavy fog that day and I thought I saw a big pivot out in the middle of the field. Lots of geese. So I thought I would just go out and sit on one of the pivot wheels. Reasonable plan... Except there wasn't a pivot. So I just walked out to the middle of the field and laid down next to my decoys. It totally worked! The dog just sat next to me.
If you zoom in on that first picture you can see a little rainbow.. zoom just to the right of that and you'll see a bunch of geese coming in. That's what the dog is staring at. Shot two out of that bunch.

Who doesn’t love a hunting dog that’s helping you watch for birds ?

Very cool !

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Dry field hunting should be experienced by every waterfowl hunter at some point.

Now that’s a good day of shooting !

👍🏼🦫

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by longarm
Wildfowl
Today I went out to the same area. Same setup but with three times the decoys. Again we had thousands of geese wanting to put in to the set.. only this time they suddenly flared off before cupping their wings and dropping in.

One difference between today and the other days I've been hunting successfully here was that today my buddy brought his yellow Lab, which to my eyes stuck out like a lit light bulb In this otherwise dark field.
We covered the dog with a camo hunting jacket and I managed to scratch down a goose shortly after. Still fun but not a brilliant day.

Was it the dog? The fact that they have seen these decoys before?
Dunno

Once upon a time on Sauvie Island my hunting pard showed up with his bar fly date from the night before. She was wearing a yellow rain slicker!

FLARE !

He had to send her back to his truck. Birds died after that.

Coincidence? I definitely think so.

🦫

“Molon Labe”
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Beaver
I'll test the yellow dog theory in the next coupla days: will return to the same field, just me and the brown dog and a dozen silos. No ho in a slicker either..
Will report.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Another good day in a bean field. Wigeon beat down. Yellow dog picked up at least half of them.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Good stuff TimberRunner!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Simple is often the way to go.

Agree. One of my best days, I had seven different flocks of geese come in as if on a string.....to my four decoys. Another time, the only vehicle I had running at the time was a Volkswagon Jetta - I was able to fit 5 full bodies in it and came home with three birds on the front floorboards. You don't always need a huge spread....

Our cornfields are usually dirtier than that, with a lot more cover material to disappear in. Many years ago, I bought cornfield camo pants/jackets/parkas through Herters, just for this purpose. In a rough field, you just disappear. I'm surprised that pattern isn't still available, considering how useful it is...

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
we put in a goose pit this past summer

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

710 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 69 invisible), 3,519 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.