Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
I don't know why I haven't heard or read of this guy before. Definitely seems like the makings for a bad ass movie if they didn't already. If half the stuff in the video is true it makes him a amazing man.

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Roy Benavides, a local highway is named after him. I knew he had called in artillery strikes on his own position, didn’t know all the details. Tks.

Diabetes took him out in his 60’s, sadly that happens all to often in S. Texas, an inherited train from the Indians.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for that. I’d heard the tale previously. Lesson learned, if you’re gonna be crazy make sure it’s the batchitt version.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Excellent, well worth watching

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks Irving D very much for sharing that video. His comments choked me up at the end.............................

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow!

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If the man is not an inspiration to you you're dead inside. He's been my hero for a lot of years.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have need of such men. We have some on the Fire, I am in awe!

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What a remarkable man!

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Wow.what a man.

I believe I read about him in a Readers Digest many years ago.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got to Biitch about something though.. so here we have this man shot to pieces and never gives up…..

Here it goes…. I know a guy i used to work with. He was stationed in Germany, while there a buddy of his got killed in a vehicle accident (army truck). Anyway he now collects 80% from PTSD.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Never forget.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Absolutely amazing!

Joseph Hooper is a man who's accomplishments are rarely spoken of. I'm forntunate to be friends with someone he served with.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Featur...honor-monday-army-sgt-joe-ronnie-hooper/

Medics bury their mistakes..
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
awesome.
they have people that get paid lots of money to write books and screenplays that are all fiction.

why not just make a movie about this man's story?

better than fiction.

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Incredible story.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The man carried two men with 37 significant injuries a fractured skull and a broken jaw, Who here has that in them?

[Linked Image]

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dinny
Absolutely amazing!

Joseph Hooper is a man who's accomplishments are rarely spoken of. I'm forntunate to be friends with someone he served with.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Featur...honor-monday-army-sgt-joe-ronnie-hooper/

Died at 40, not right, the man did way to much for his country to die at that young age.

Paul

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Incredible!

Amazing!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
After all the hell Roy P Benavidez went through they tried to cut off his disability.He lived in my home town.I would see him occasionally running along the bi-pass highway.I guess some people thought if he could do that he could work a job.I always felt he was a fighter and pushed himself to try to overcome all his injuries.They named the Roy P. Benavidez National Guard Armory in El Campo in his honor and a section of the Highway 59 there too.He was certainly a warrior.
Benavidez, Raul Perez [Roy] (1935–1998).Medal of Honor recipient Roy Benavidez was born Raul Perez Benavidez at Cuero, Texas, August 5, 1935. His father was Salvador Benavidez, a Mexican American, and his mother was Teresa Perez, an American Yaqui Indian. Raul's parents died when he was a child, and he and his younger brother were then raised by their Uncle Nicholas and Aunt Alexandria at El Campo, Texas. He dropped out of school during the seventh grade and enlisted in the Texas National Guard at age seventeen. At nineteen he joined the Regular Army as Roy Perez Benavidez and got his infantry training at Fort Ord, California. By 1958 he had served in South Korea and Germany. Returning to the United States he married a childhood sweetheart, Lala Coy on June 7, 1959. They had three children. In 1959 he attended military police school at Fort Gordon, Georgia.

He was assigned to the 82nd Airborne Division and in 1965 was in Vietnam as a military adviser to the Vietnamese Army. While on patrol he was badly wounded after stepping on a land mine and was evacuated to Brooke Army Hospital in San Antonio, with serious bone and cartilage damage to his spine. After a long period of treatment and rehabilitation he volunteered for a second tour in Vietnam, this time in the Special Forces as a Green Beret. On the morning of May 2, 1968, Sergeant Benavidez was in the Forward Operating Base in Loc Ninh, when rescue helicopters returned from Cambodia after an unsuccessful attempt to extract a Special Forces team. Benavidez volunteered for another rescue attempt, an event that would become "six hours in hell" in his own words. Reaching the pick-up zone, Sergeant Benavidez jumped from the helicopter and ran about eighty yards through withering fire to the embattled team. He was wounded in the right leg, face, and head. In spite of his injuries he directed the landing of the extraction helicopter and assisted in the loading of dead and wounded team members, and he then proceeded to collect classified papers and a radio from the dead team leader. During this action he continued to receive wounds from small arms fire and shrapnel. When the chopper pilot was shot and the rescue helicopter crashed Benavidez assisted the wounded and dazed men out of the overturned machine, and facing increasing enemy opposition, he called in tactical air strikes and directed supporting gunfire to attempt another rescue. He then began assisting the wounded aboard another helicopter. He sustained more injuries during hand-to-hand combat with an enemy soldier and also killed two others during the frantic rush to secure all the wounded. Benavidez received a total of seven bullet wounds to his legs and torso as well as numerous other bayonet and shrapnel cuts. His brave and decisive actions during the rescue attempt resulted in saving at least eight soldiers. He received four Purple Hearts and the Distinguished Service Cross. He was released from the hospital in 1969 after a year of intensive medical treatment and therapy and was stationed at Fort Riley, Kansas. In 1972 he was transferred to Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, where he served out the duration of his military career until his retirement on September 10, 1976.

The unselfish devotion of Master Sergeant Roy Benavidez to his comrades, and to his country, was deserving of the Medal of Honor. Many of his comrades thought the recommendation for the MOH was submitted, but the award was not made at that time. Efforts were made on his behalf, sufficient witnesses were finally located, and the award was presented on February 24, 1981, by President Reagan, in the White House. Because this action, for which the award was made, took place in Cambodia, there has been some speculation that political embarrassment may have contributed to the delay. Benavidez retired with total disability from the United States Army in 1976 and moved to El Campo, Texas. After being notified in 1983 that his disability was being questioned by the Social Security Administration, he became a spokesperson for others who were being denied benefits. He was called to testify before the U.S. House of Representatives Select Committee on Aging. His testimony contributed to the restoration of benefits to many recipients. Master Sergeant Benavidez died at the age of sixty-three on November 29, 1998, at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas. He was buried with full military honors in the Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery. On July 21, 2001, the U. S. Navy christened the USNS Benavidez, a roll-on/roll-off cargo ship in honor of the military hero. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvlAHUur5eg

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great video. Great man.

Retired cat herder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,545
Posts18,453,457
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.