Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SeanD
LEDs can be really good if it’s a whole assembly. Led bulbs in halogen housings are garbage. They do not focus so they are brighter only at short range, and they scatter light making them dangerous for oncoming drivers. Long range projection is crap which is the primary function of headlights.

Wrong.

For the cheap ones, yes

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
LEDs can be really good if it’s a whole assembly. Led bulbs in halogen housings are garbage. They do not focus so they are brighter only at short range, and they scatter light making them dangerous for oncoming drivers. Long range projection is crap which is the primary function of headlights.

Wrong.

For the cheap ones, yes

No, they are garbage. Here is a guy that actually knows lighting and tests them.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...headlights.589465/page-139#post-23494345

Sean
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by slumlord
I put a 24” LED bar on my F250 just for new car folks with those bright blue euro lights

Get some bitches!

That and mustang people that think they need LED fog lights on all the time too

That right there is my pet peeve.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Wrong.

For the cheap ones, yes

No, they are garbage. Here is a guy that actually knows lighting and tests them.

I put Stedi LEDs in my Hilux, my daughter's Yaris, and her Camry...Camry was an improvement, the Yaris more so, and the Hilux is better that the OEM LEDs in my wife's Rav4.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yep. Replaced all headlights in every vehicle. A million times brighter and not any more expensive than really good regular bulbs. The color is a little too white for me and they have to be adjusted correctly to not blind oncoming traffic but they are a godsend.

When I was researching them, Nineo gen II were rated as the third brightest with proper adjustability out of several dozen tested by individual labs. At the time, they were 25 clams a bulb but they're around 16-17 now on amazon at the nineo store. I've had no failures and the first set is three years old.

A person who's happy will make others happy. Anne Frank
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I did my backup lights on my F150 and they are much better. Sealights. The halogen headlights suck.

YouTube had some reviews of different bulbs. Some are very expensive. I worry the cheap Amazon ones won’t last but some people seem to think they are the same exact bulbs as the $$ ones.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Add in my hatred of off-road lights used on-highway - and azzholes who alter the height of their vehicles without re-aiming lights.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Wrong.

For the cheap ones, yes

There is nothing “focused” about my halogen bulbs

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

^^^^^^^This. Would have had to change the entire housing on a Tundra and I got that information from three different sources. Whether they are more or less effective I don't know but they would not work as well as a dedicated housing.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Middlebranch
Wondering if anyone has any experience switching from halogens to led headlights. Pros, cons, etc. Is it a good idea to mess with after market lighting? Thinking about switching over in a 21 trailboss. Thanks.

Best thing I ever did on my Silverado. Like night and day. Got Sealight and Fahrens off Amazon.

My dad just borrowed my truck for a week while his was down. The first thing he said was sob I cant believe how much better I can see in your truck. Hes now putting them in his.

I never get flashed, and so far theyve outlasted the expensive Osrams I was running by 4 months and seem to be going strong. Best investment under $100 ive ever made.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I replaced the OEM headlights on my old 4Runner with a Hella Halogen set. They are 50% brighter than the OEM ones. I have a set of Hella spots on the bumper. Each has a 100 Watt bulb. I use those when some buck eejit hits me with his LED lights. The worst are the damn 18 wheelers with the off road LED light bars on their bumper.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wondering if anyone has any experience switching from halogens to led headlights. Pros, cons, etc. Is it a good idea to mess with after market lighting? Thinking about switching over in a 21 trailboss. Thanks.

BTW.....good luck with that truck. So many having lifter failures again. At the very least look at range technologies to turn off AFM/DOD. I was gonna buy one before the prices went up but I had it happen in my truck once....once was enough.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by pahick

BTW.....good luck with that truck. So many having lifter failures again. At the very least look at range technologies to turn off AFM/DOD. I was gonna buy one before the prices went up but I had it happen in my truck once....once was enough.

They have gone to DFM as a replacement and I noticed that on many window stickers because of the chip shortage that "feature" will not be operational.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by pahick

They have gone to DFM as a replacement and I noticed that on many window stickers because of the chip shortage that "feature" will not be operational.

Deactivated in the system. The lifters are still there. No diff than the folks running some sort of controller like range technologies since day one and still experiencing lifter collapse.

"If a customer brings their vehicle to a GM dealership and reports a valve lifter problem, the dealership will first determine whether or not the customer has experienced a previous valve lifter issue with this particular vehicle. If they have not and the vehicle has less than 8,000 miles on the odometer, the dealer will replace the lifters on both cylinder banks. If the vehicle has more than 8,000 miles, only one bank of lifters will be replaced.

If the customer has experienced prior valve lifter failures, dealers can choose one of three options: replace one bank of lifters and offer the customer a 60-month, 100,000-mile Powertrain Component Coverage Letter, replace the entire engine, or reach out to the District Manager of Aftersales for further guidance. The solutions are similar for a customer that has experienced valve lifter issues in the past and had one bank of lifters replaced. In this case, the dealer can replace one bank of lifters and offer a 60-month, 100,000-mile Powertrain Component Coverage Letter or reach out to the District Manager of Aftersales."

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by prplbkrr
LED headlights ought to be banned. Sure, you can see better, but the poor sap looking into the light is blinded. I hate them.

+1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

^^^^^^^This. Would have had to change the entire housing on a Tundra and I got that information from three different sources. Whether they are more or less effective I don't know but they would not work as well as a dedicated housing.

And the factory LED’s assemblies are barely better than the halogen. Most folks won’t believe it because they “look” brighter but headlights are now tested on new cars. The effective distance illumination between factory halogens and factory LEDs are almost the same. Some vehicles like the Tacoma, have way better lighting with the factory LEDs, but not the tundra.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/toyota/tundra-crew-cab-pickup/2021

Sean
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It cost about $60 for a set of lights and decoders for my Dodge 2500. The stock headlights were pure crap. You couldn't see anything. The LEDs are a great improvement. Not all of them need the decoders but these did. I also changed the backup lights from worthless to decent with a pair of LED bulbs.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If anyone is worried about blinding others, you can install LEDs on the high beams only. But I did highs lows and driving and ive never been flashed with highs or lows. Once when I had lows and driving lights on at the same time....driving lights are bright as fück!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I bought a new Tacoma with LEDs...they are sure brighter than the halogens on my previous truck. It does seem to me the conversions aren't nearly as good as the trucks with housings designed to use LED from the get go.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
136 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 17 invisible), 1,902 guests, and 910 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.