Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
My Echo has a bulb and an auto choke. 3 pulls and I’m Freddy.

Yup
I been looking at the Echo

✌️

Unless it's a gigantic tree, I'm grabbing my
Echo every single time.
Easy starting, lightweight and easy to maneuver.

Proud NRA Life Member
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
you try replacing the plug, cleaning the air filter and running some sea foam? my 15 y/o ms290 starts within a half dozen pulls cold. 1 or 2 warm.

My diploma is a DD214
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
High octane non ethanol fuel mixed with a good quality 2 cycle oil. Mix in small quantity's. Don't mix large amounts and let it sit around. Use it up. I used to mix 2.5 gallons at a time when I was falling but these days I only mix up a gallon at a time unless I have a really big job to do. I still mix several 1 gallon cans.

Still running a 1985 era Husky 266 as a backup to the backup. Starts on 4 -5 pulls when cold.

For the occasional user I would look into the pre packaged fuel such as Tru Fuel etc.

Bought a new Husky 550 with the auto tune. Was skeptical at first but that saw is a screamer. Use it for thinning projects instead of lugging around a 372.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
I use the premix VP racing fuel 50 to 1. If you loose your octane rating from old gas a Stihl saw won’t start worth a crap, period! Might be worth a try before buying a new saw.

Good idea

My gas is the cheap 87 octane and its been bulk stored since May
had stabilizer in it but it was cheap gas from the get go

I should have known better.

I’d definitely be looking into cleaning/repairing the fuel system and getting new gas. Old ethanol gas, stabilizer or not, will screw your small engines up.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A lot of the smaller Stihl's use a Walbro or Zama carb with no choke built in. Stihl puts a little plastic flap in the air filter that serves as a choke. Some of these don't function very well, sorta like half choke. I have 2 026 stihl, great little saws but the no choke feature is a bummer.
This combined with the master control lever is a two pronged failure. We dealers were cautioned not to criticise this lever as it was designed by Andreas Stihl himself. The Tillotson HU carb was the best carb ever, bar none.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I bought a stihl 500i this spring. It has one, but it isn't a primer. It pressurizes the fuel injection system

How do you like that saw?
Haven't had a chance to even fondle one, but have watched a bunch of
videos. Seems they are pretty awesome, except one guy didn't like it
for cutting smaller wood.
It didn't respond quite right to the on/off cycles of the throttle.

But it's not meant to be a firewood saw.

Don't know about the injection on that, but ethanol doesn't seem
to affect injected cars. I had a mid 90s Subaru sitting in the yard as
a parts car for almost three years. Had robbed the battery early, so
it was never started. Sold it last fall.

A guy showed up with a battery, almost dead. Gave it a jump,
And the car fired up with about 3 normal tries. Ran fine.
I couldn't believe it. A junkyard friend assures me that's pretty normnal.

I really like it. It is a ripper. I have never ran any saw with such quick response. On big stuf it just blows right through. I only run non ethanol gas 91 octane in it and all my small engines.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I try, emphasis on try, to keep fresh non-corn gas in the saws. The only one that starts sort of hard is my 346XPG. No compression release, and it requires a few more yanks than the 372XPG, Jonsy 2149, and 034 Super AV. Every time I look at new saws, I come to the conclusion I'm going to do everything I can to keep my now 20+ year old gear on the road.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I must have the only Stihl in the country that's not hard to start. 3-4 pulls max. It’s a Stihl 250.

My Husqvarna 362xp is harder to start including the primer bulb. But it’s a hellova lot more saw.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
And I don’t need a big saw

14-16”

Just for once a week, homeowner use

Maybe I would ask it to cut a pickup bed of wood twice a month during cold months

For something light duty and minimal use I’d look at the new cordless stuff.

I was going to say that too. But if he’s cutting a PU bed worth, I’m not sure they’re up to the task.

Camp is where you make it.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My Stihls are at least 25 years old and still bullet proof, start on the third or fourth pull if not sooner. Always run non oxy here in all small engines if that makes a difference.
I also run a good cleaner thru the tanks once a year.
Wouldn’t trade them for any other. Just yesterday finished cutting up 7 cords birch for this winter, not a hiccup other than a chain change.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Newer Sthil with no bulb. Older Echo with one, and a really old Homelite with out one. All my starting problems went away when they started selling ethanol free gas here

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Probably the easiest way out is finding your local Stihl dealer with a decent mechanic. Let them have at it. It's what they get paid to do. One of mine had similar problems. They dealer's mechanic went through it, replaced the carb, tuned and cleaned it for $46. They had the carb in stock and I got it back the next day.

We don't cut much firewood, but the saws get severely abused in marine construction and hurricane cleanup. Stihl's will still run after being on the bottom of Mobile Bay. They just need a little luv from time to time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My el-cheapo Mac has a bulb and starts like a dream.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
You gonna like that Makita. Carry mine trail riding to trim off low limbs and trees on the trail.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by thumbcocker
I bought a stihl 500i this spring. It has one, but it isn't a primer. It pressurizes the fuel injection system

That looks like a really good saw. I suspect that a 20" bar would make that a real manageable gung-ho gert-r done deal working big tops. Same weight as my 391 and it has a lot more umph it appears.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some will laugh at this, but the best starting saw I've ever run
was Dad's Pro Mac 700.

If you were running it regularly, it coughed on the first pull.
If you didnt catch it, a second was needed.
It could sit a month and start within 3.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Well I just started my approximately 10 year old Stihl MS260 to run it dry for winter storage. Choked 3 pulls to burp, flip choke to run and started on second pull, this after sitting for months. The only 2-stroke I have with a bulb is a Husqvarna commercial weed eater.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not going to read the entire thread but a longer bar verses a short one keeps you from having to bend over so far. Increasingly hard to do as we age. I'm open to a 40V saw with a 18" bar for when I'm just cleaning things up and not making firewood.

My 15+ year old Husky 345 starts just fine w/o a primer bulb. I only use E0 gasoline in it.

Last edited by Szumi; 12/05/21.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Just checked my gallon can of VP premix and it’s 94 octane ethanol free.

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Do you think it makes them easier to start?

My Stihls are getting to where ya have to pull em 35 times to fire em up.

Thinking about switching to a brand with a primer bulb. I need input if this makes a difference

I’ll hang up and listen

Usually this means your carburetor isn't functioning properly, you've got the wrong fuel (or its gone bad), or you aren't getting optimal ignition. This has nothing to do with the presence of a primer bulb.

Last edited by tylerw02; 12/05/21.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

274 members (1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 908 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,619
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.