Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jason280
Growing up, one of my favorite lures was a Rooster Tail....although it wasn't the lure I used the most. As kids, we always fished the local beaver dam ponds, which had a lot of underwater brush and snags. I simply couldn't afford to lose a Rooster Tail, so I primarily used black/yellow Beetle Spins...it took a little more work to get one of those hung up, and when you did, they were only $0.69/each (versus $2 for the Roosters).

I swam out and got my hooks back. I went fishing with 1 hook and brought it back or a story of the one that got away. Now I got tackle like I'm obsessed and I don't think I have more fun. Maybe a little more fun.

BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great lures. I like the 1/4 oz (or so) yellow body, black spots ones for smallmouth, and the 1/8 oz (or so, anyway the little biddy ones) with the white body and black spots for trout.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Originally Posted by rgrx1276
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Just went to sporting goods store and noticed a large display of Rooster Tail spinners. In my 50 years on the planet, I've never caught a fish on one. Has anyone? Mepps, panther martin, blue fox...yes. Zilch on a rooster tail.

Someone must be buying them, because they still make them.

These were caught on rooster tails this year in NM.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Wow.... those are toads.... did you really need to kill them?

Tough to eat them alive.

Eating trophy fish... really?
Eat brookies, planter rainbows... long john silvers etc.... most people will never catch 1 rainbow that size in a lifetimes of trout fishing.
Your ego overrides your good judgement

Those look like last years planters in several lakes around here. We eat every one we catch.

Rooster tails? Until 1980, I thought fish were caught from the bank with a worm. Then I discovered the joy of trolling with spinner baits.

Lots of love here for Panthers. I have a few in the tackle box, but don't think I have ever caught a fish on one. My son loves them.

Blue Fox is a cheap imitation of a Mepps. If you are trolling, spend the extra money for the Mepps. The Blue Foxes twist and tangle lines. You spend more time untangling and respooling the kids fishing rigs than they spend fishing. And yes there is a ball bearing swivel ahead of every spinner tossed from my boat.

So, for us, it is Mepps, or Rooster tails, or hard baits, whether we are casting or trolling. Not so much for panfish, Crappie get plastic jigs, bluegill get worms.

A certain high mountain lake, just as the snow goes off the passes and it is first accessible in late June, we have found the trout bellies to be full of what appears to be black ants. You can catch a limit in short order with a white or yellow body rooster tail with a broken black pattern which resembles a segmented insect.

Trout, smallmouth, and squawfish will all bend your rod snatching a rooster tail. The roostertail, with the willowleaf blade is a little harder to initialize spin. I always sweep the rod forward to make it start spinning. Rooster tails require a bit faster trolling speed to make them work than do Mepps.

For slow retrieve, bouncing off the bottom, a Mepps works better.

And then there is another favorite mountain reservoir around Labor Day, in which the trout will bite nothing but a wedding ring spinner with green beads and blades, and a worm. Fish be funny critters.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
I'd cook them over a burning tire.

Haha 🤣

Kill and eat them all..... over a burning tire fire....

Are you an indian? I am all for gillnetting the mouth of a river .... after all salmon are yummy .... and valuable.... An indian buy more booze that way.....

Those trout would have been stuffed inside a young seal before going over the tire fire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just went to sporting goods store and noticed a large display of Rooster Tail spinners. In my 50 years on the planet, I've never caught a fish on one. Has anyone? Mepps, panther martin, blue fox...yes. Zilch on a rooster tail.
You must be fishing in cesspools! laugh

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Lots of good info on this thread. Thanks

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've fished them since the early 70's. Caught hundreds of trout on them since then. All with either a 1/8 oz or 1/16 oz rainbow trout body with gold blade and a red/yellow body with a gold blade. I used to order cards of them at a local Ace Hardware back in the day.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

Someone must be buying them, because they still make them.

Thats been my experience too.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fooking trout and the catch and release fly fishing brigade.
Most are stockers. If not, doubt it’s in the regs to keep them. They eat like schit regardless.

Anyway, nice fish!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Caught Bass of more than one kind, trout, catfish and drum on them.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by fester
Trout, steelhead, striper…… carp will smack them with their tail and get hooked.

We used to fish the N. Fork of the Shenandoah for smallmouth. In the spring the carp would be up in the shallows sunning and every now and then you'd snag one on the dorsal fin. For a few seconds there, it would fell like a state record bass and then you'd realize it was a carp, what a letdown. A 10-lb fish hooked on the dorsal with an ultralight spinning rod will give you a tussle though.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never had as much luck getting a Rooster Tail to catch fish like say a Panther Martin. Oh sure, Roosters will catch fish, especially bass, which hit about anything, but I'd sooner have one Panther Martin over 10 Roosters.

Anymore though, I don't use spinners much for trout because stocked trout are way down the good-eating list and if you catch a trout on a spinner its usually done for and has to go in the cooler.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
PMs spin more reliably. The blade of a RT needs a faster retrieve or sometimes a quick snap to start spinning.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My go to graying lure !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Lonny
Never had as much luck getting a Rooster Tail to catch fish like say a Panther Martin. Oh sure, Roosters will catch fish, especially bass, which hit about anything, but I'd sooner have one Panther Martin over 10 Roosters.

100% .
I either use ones Ive put together or the venerable black and gold PM.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Dogcatcher223: I have been using them (successfully!) for over 60 (sixty!) years now.
They are especially good for Rainbow and Brook Trout - in my extensive experience.
I always have some Roostertails along on my fishing ventures.
I have even caught Grayling using them in both Montana and Alaska.
When fishing Grayling infested lakes and streams here in Montana I remove the treble hooks and replace them with barbless single hooks as most places here in Montana require catch and release on Grayling.
Try'em again - in the long run I think you'll like them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
firststrikelures.com and randblures.com both make very good components if interested in twisting up your own

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Dogcatcher223: I have been using them (successfully!) for over 60 (sixty!) years now.
They are especially good for Rainbow and Brook Trout - in my extensive experience.
I always have some Roostertails along on my fishing ventures.
I have even caught Grayling using them in both Montana and Alaska.
When fishing Grayling infested lakes and streams here in Montana I remove the treble hooks and replace them with barbless single hooks as most places here in Montana require catch and release on Grayling.
Try'em again - in the long run I think you'll like them.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Post a pic a fish you caught with a rooster tail

Or better, easier...post a pic of a rooster tail lure right now in your tackle box.

If you cannot or won’t then resign yourself to be just like one of the other mouthy foucks like Slavek or Elkslayer.

Thing is you haven’t seen your tackle box since probably the last time you were able to even see your dick. Maybe 1978?? lol

Ya fûck

Let me go ahead add your name to the useless dickhead thread.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jake's Stream A Lure is way better than a spinner that looks like it got in the moss.

I am MAGA.
yar Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Black rooster tail best lure ever.

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
410 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 54 invisible), 2,376 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.