No girl friend to send one to me!!!!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Only once. Took leave to take her to her senior prom. Went up on Twin Peaks (San Francisco) to see the lights and I literally got raped. After returning to the base I saw I had to clean up some blood.
About three days later I got a short note saying, "I don't think we should see each other anymore." Her mother never did like me and her daddy would growl at me when he saw me. Guess they finally convinced her I was up to no good. About a year later when I was home on leave before leaving for Korea I tried to call her. Mama answered the phone and when I asked for her said, "My daughter is a married woman." I've always wondered if mommy and daddy arranged for a quicky marriage because there was a bun in the oven.
Paul B.

Last edited by PJGunner; 12/06/21.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I did. Saw my GF between Christmas and New Years 1980. We talked about her going to grad school at KSU in Manhatten, KS, after she graduated with a BS in 05/81. I got the "I still love you, but I've met someone else" letter in 03/81.

She married the guy and they have3 kids and 7 or 8 grandchildren last time I heard.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I got one of sorts. My gf was killed in a car accident while I was in basic training. My parents sent the letter because they couldn't reach my unit while we were conducting field training. That was 1994.

Medics bury their mistakes..
IC B2

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Girl I got engaged to before shipping to Korea didn't send a der John per say. She just stopped correspondence all together. Flew home on mid tour without telling anyone. Walked to her house from the airport. Her Dad met me at the door with a "Sorry Son" look. Had her drive me home (my parent's house) in silence. Found out she found someone more available. She wound up having a couple of kids from a couple of different dudes, at least one (out of wedlock) while married to someone else. Dodged a bullet on that one!

Last edited by OGB; 12/16/21.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
G
g5m Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dinny
I got one of sorts. My gf was killed in a car accident while I was in basic training. My parents sent the letter because they couldn't reach my unit while we were conducting field training. That was 1994.

That is a very bad one.

Retired cat herder.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I went thru Air Force Basic in June-July 0f 1962. The guy who marched in front of me (always out of step) received the first letter that arrived, before we had a chance to give our detailed address to people back home. His letter was a DEAR JOHN !!! He was also the first guy to be set back !!!!

"not too grumpy"
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Got mine right after I got out ot Tripler Army Center, in 68. Wasn't a surprise I knew that she had been messing around. Met another, later that summer and we were together until she passed in 98. For some reason another old girl attached herself to me in 2000 and we have been together since. We are both in the last quarter of our time here, it's been a great ride

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only got one from a girlfriend and I was ready to kick her to the curb anyway so it was all good.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
had one. she thought she was some catch, but little did she know i already wrote her off. those ca girls are nuts.

Retired Military Aviation
Former Member, Navy Shooting Team
Distinguished Pistol Shot
NRA Certified Instructor/RSO
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I got mine after basic, hurt at the time but was a blessing.

Good Shooting!
G
G
I got one. My first real girlfriend, pretty, smart, I was definitely in love. She had gone off to college for her first time away from home. 10 days later my ship is headed for Vietnam (1968) and when we got to Hawaii we got some mail. I got a letter and was all excited to open and read it. But instead of kisses and how much she missed me and other happy stuff, I found that we weren't right for each other. She wished me luck. Bye. I took my letter up to the catwalk along the edge of the flight deck and tore it up and let the wind blow it away. My 19 yr old heart was busted flat. I had 8 months of sea duty ahead of me, no chance of finding a new girl friend. Nothing but hookers in Olongapo or Sasebo. Thanks to them I at least had a little bit of fun. But it sure ain't the same. About 8 months later when we were getting ready to come home I get another letter from her. She's looking forward to seeing me! When will I be coming home on leave? etc, etc. By then my busted heart was hard as a rock toward her. It took a while but she faded into the past. I found out that the dude she dumped me for dumped her. hee hee hee.

Last edited by gila_dog; 09/29/22.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When your first name is John, like me... all your mail is Dear John.... whistle

In high school and college, the first several women I fell in love with, moved on...

it hit me hard at the time.

but on the growing up front... it was the best thing that ever happened to me..

I was too trusting and loyal in my younger years.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not a deer John per say. I had a girlfriend in San Antonio when i got orders for Alaska. We wrote pretty regular for about 3 or 4 months then suddenly they letters just stopped. The last one I sent I got no reply. I was stuck in Alaska for another 14 months so that was the end of that.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I never got a dear John letter but I have kind of a funny break up story. I was one of those young and dumb privates that got engaged after I graduated basic. I started to realize that I could do better. So I decided I was going to break up with her before we went out in the field. I finally got the balls to do it on April 1st. She started to ball her eyes out over the phone so I just said April fools cause I felt bad. Well once we were out in the field we didn’t have our phones. I had a lot of time to talk to my gunner and he said if your hearts not in it call off the wedding which was in 3 months. So once we got back to tiger land I called her and broke up with her. It didn’t go over well. Her family wouldn’t stop calling and texting so I blocked all them. They were calling my family and my parents just told them that hey he’s an adult and out of the house.i don’t regret it one bit. I enjoyed the final two years of my contract single. I came home and married a beautiful big booty woman who I have a kid with now.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Redhairy
I never got a dear John letter but I have kind of a funny break up story. I was one of those young and dumb privates that got engaged after I graduated basic. I started to realize that I could do better. So I decided I was going to break up with her before we went out in the field. I finally got the balls to do it on April 1st. She started to ball her eyes out over the phone so I just said April fools cause I felt bad. Well once we were out in the field we didn’t have our phones. I had a lot of time to talk to my gunner and he said if your hearts not in it call off the wedding which was in 3 months. So once we got back to tiger land I called her and broke up with her. It didn’t go over well. Her family wouldn’t stop calling and texting so I blocked all them. They were calling my family and my parents just told them that hey he’s an adult and out of the house.i don’t regret it one bit. I enjoyed the final two years of my contract single. I came home and married a beautiful big booty woman who I have a kid with now.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet on that one!

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
As in baseball, some of the trades you don't make, are the best.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Got my letter from her attorney in the spring of 68 while I was in Tripler Army Medical Center in Hawaii. I was recovering from an injury in Vietnam, the letter came in a pile of letters that had been forwarded there from in country. My hurt was diminished by a very nice school teacher who's brother was in the bed next to me. She sort of took me under her wing (bed sheets) for several months after I was released from the hospital

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My buddy was from Canada. He had a college degree but the Marines wouldn’t let him go through OCS. He tried for force recon. He was qualified, but they didn’t want a Canadian in Force Recon, they said. He wanted 0300 MOS. They gave him 4000 MOS. He did the worst possible in the final class - got a perfect 0 right.
They kept him in 4000 anyhow. He got his fiancée’s name tattooed on his arm. The ink wasn’t dry when he got “Dear John”.
He left the Marines that day. Went back to Canada he did.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
690 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 81 invisible), 2,750 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,637
Posts18,398,948
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.