Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Calvin
Going from leupold to burris probably isn’t the best move if reliability is your goal.

I haven't owned a Burris, but they can't be much worse than Leupold.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Leupold isn't anything special in their instruments. What they are is an legacy company or one that has brand recognition. For decades they sat on that and didn't offer anything but duplex and low amount of options till competition moved in. I've always thought Leupold has decent customer service but their products aren't always the best. I'm sure their market share is significantly less than 20yrs ago but that can be a good thing because today there's more choices.

I have Burris scopes and they're fine. Sightron may have what you are looking for. Primary Arms has decent scopes. Your also in a great deal of luck as currently there's a glut ofn1-6x and 1-8x scopes on the market that are compact and in your price range and you can choose FFP or SFP. I would look into one of the 1x-8x low power variable optics and call it a day.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stringnut
The current consensus is that Leupold is not what they used to be and haven’t been for several years. So my question is what is a good alternative? I am not a long ranges knob twister in any way . All I need is good optics, reliability, decent adjustments without breaking the bank. 2-7, or 3-9, do anything I want. Will spend 500 to 600 bucks for a scope. Not going to put out thousands of dollars for something I don’t need. The wife is really screwed as she was a Nikon freak. One of her old scopes needed repair and she got a voucher toward binoculars. Harder than hell to mount and impossible to sight in.

Go Zeiss, young man! smile I did that, with the older Conquests, when I just couldn’t take Leupold’s mechanical instability anymore. As good as the older Conquests were, the newer ones are a big step up.

Add a hundie to your budget, and take a look at the demo units (they are brand new, hint) at Red Hawk Rifles. If you want simple, the 3-12x44 rocks. A 4-16x50 V4 will make you think you’ve died and gone to heaven.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Swfa 3*9

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
A Tract Toric 2-10 would surely be difficult to beat for your stated purpose. A Trijicon Credo would be another option I’d consider. I have a couple Meopta Meopro models, a 3.5-10x44 and a 3-9x42. I don’t have any issue with them, but the glass is not as good as my Tract Toric.

Last edited by drano 25; 12/05/21.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes, Tract Torics are sleepers. Great glass and well built. Best bang for the buck in todays market.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by stevevan1
Yes, Tract Torics are sleepers. Great glass and well built. Best bang for the buck in todays market.

Without a doubt

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Burris FFII, Weaver Classic’s and Sightron SII/Big Sky when they were available, Bushnell Elites, Vortex Vipers and older Leupold from pre-late 90’s.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hanco
I like my Leupolds, don’t have issues with them.

+101

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was in this same spot not long ago looking for a scope for a hunting rifle. There doesn't seem to be much "in the middle" anymore, there's lots of spendy stuff and lots of junk, but not much middle ground.

I said "ah what the heck"and bought a new Leupold, a VX-3i maybe? 2.5x10x50 . I don't remember for sure. I've only fired about 75 rounds with it so not nearly enough to know one way or the other. But one thing's for sure, they're not what they used to be. The feel and finish is cheap. If it had no name on it, you'd think it closer to the junk side of the divide than the spendy side. I wouldn't trade one of my older Leupolds (15-35 years old) for a new one, I don't care what glass advancements they're supposed to have.

Aint what they once were, but not much is anymore and that's a shame.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by hanco
I like my Leupolds, don’t have issues with them.

+101

I like mine as well, I have an older VXII and VXIII that I have never had an issue with. I sold my Burris FFII and Vortex Viper. I replaced them with a VX5 HD and a VX6 HD that I really like alot. I am also pretty impressed with the new Trijicon Credo that I just purchased. Its a really nice scope with very clear glass. Built like a tank.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I’ve been looking at new scopes and the more I look the more I’ve decided to just keep what I’ve got.

E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Originally Posted by Lonster
I’ve been looking at new scopes and the more I look the more I’ve decided to just keep what I’ve got.

I've got 3 or 4 Burris scopes... Rimfires up to the Veracity. They are good scopes. Everyone has their preferences and experiences... Mine's been great with Burris. The key is the customer service.

I had a Leupold a few years ago had the magnification ring seize up. Couldn't turn it. Took a month or two to get back. Really sucked considering it was right before deer season.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recently worked with a couple of the new Weaver Classics that Natchez Shooters Supply sells.....one a 3-9 and the other a 4-16. Both were solid, had nice optics and the w/e adjustments were solid and repeatable. On the 4-16, the A.O. showed a big sweet spot of parallax correction which is a good indicator of lens alignment. All in all, pretty nice scopes at decent prices. I believe they are mfgd in South Korea.

Hope this helps. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Did you have to mud them in ?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I think too many reputable companies start turning out sub par products to gain a bigger market share or profit margin. The VX-5 & 6 HD are great scopes, and the Mk 5 I would call a great scope except the price for the illuminated model, which I have. I pulled and sold a SS 5-20 HD for $900 and put the 5-25 Mk 5 on the rifle for $2600 plus tax. Upon reflection I would rather have three SS 5-20s vs the extra magnification and better glass. Better glass is better if you had bad glass, but the 5-20 is no slouch, old technology or not.

Husqvarna bought Poulan and quickly renamed the Poulan Pro as a Husqvarna. It has since ruined the name and you have to see if something was made in Canada or Sweden before you buy.

Nightforce = SHV

Meopta = Optika 6

Zeiss = Conquest Which is actually a great scope but not a Zeiss

These are off the top of my head but the list is long.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cas6969
I was in this same spot not long ago looking for a scope for a hunting rifle. There doesn't seem to be much "in the middle" anymore, there's lots of spendy stuff and lots of junk, but not much middle ground.

I said "ah what the heck"and bought a new Leupold, a VX-3i maybe? 2.5x10x50 . I don't remember for sure. I've only fired about 75 rounds with it so not nearly enough to know one way or the other. But one thing's for sure, they're not what they used to be. The feel and finish is cheap. If it had no name on it, you'd think it closer to the junk side of the divide than the spendy side. I wouldn't trade one of my older Leupolds (15-35 years old) for a new one, I don't care what glass advancements they're supposed to have.

Aint what they once were, but not much is anymore and that's a shame.

Go Zeiss V4, young man! grin

I know I already said that but I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. They are made in Japan. The Japanese do not tolerate crappy products with MiJ on them.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The more I shoot, or see others shoot, the less confidence I have in Leupold. Seems like the vast majority of guys I see having fliers or trouble sighting in their rifle has a common denominator a new Leupold or Vortex scope on top. Ask them if they have tried another scope on top and it's always the same thing..."it's a brand new ____ I just mounted. I just haven't found a load it likes" crazy

Burris, older Leupolds, or Weaver fixed for a cheaper option. The SWFA options are tanks. Haven't tried a Tract yet.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Vortex

Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 44automag, 5sdad, 406_SBC, 444Matt, 10 invisible), 2,237 guests, and 782 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,386
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.