Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Fairly sure this does not pertain to your specific goal. Yet for what it is worth I ordered a drop in barrel for a CZ 527 chambered in 6mm ARC. This was ordered as a 7.5 twist 5 groove. Barrel face had a extractor relief that was bored a bit shallow. Otherwise all was fine. Id encourage you to call them to allow then to understand your intentions some of there barrels tend to shoot a bit faster for the same amount of propellant.

My 6mm Arc requires about a grain less powder to achieve max velocity / max pressure. In their new rifling I was told they have changed the angle of their lands a few degrees. the benefit of the change makes for easier cleaning. I can attest my 6mm Arc cleans up very well.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
BP-B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Padgett01
I am building a light weight, Remington 700. I plan to shoot 75 grain Gold Dots. I am considering a Pacnor 1 in 8 twist, 22 inch lightweight barrel, which number of grooves do you guys prefer and why? 3, 4, 5?
Whatever you get, Pac-Nor will give you a great barrel..

I've used them many times over the last 20+ years and only ONE dud - which they replaced pronto (any turd can leave the bowl) and paid me to reinstall... I have nothing but good to say about P-N..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Why Pacnor? Think Krieger or Brux...

available reamers on the shelf...options.....bead blast matte finish for one at no extra charge

I provided the -0- free bore new 20 Practical reamer to them early in their recent start up this year

They kept it and took my $160 cost off from my project

Never got a bad P-N tube

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475
I'd do the 5 groove. Kirby Allen determined some years ago thatc3 Grove shoots out faster than more grooves

Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I have a 3 groove 8 twist pacnor 223 ai. It shoots well but if given a choice I lean towards 5r. Some say 3 grooves hold up longer with less fire cracking etc but I've seen 3 grooves become hard on jackets pretty early. I think the wider lands get a little rough and start chewing up jackets. I've known some guys that used to run fast twist 3 groove Lilja's but found they were poofing thin skined bullets early on. I think you'd be fine either way with a 223.

Bb

Exactly 💯

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yessss!

Fück Joe byron
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jowens
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Why Pacnor? Think Krieger or Brux...

Think lightweight and that pretty well rules those two out unless you want your gunsmith to turn to your preferred contour.

Originally Posted by SandBilly
Bartlein for me.

See above.

——————

Rock Creek and Benchmark will make you a small contour stainless barrel that is cut rifled, though.

Krieger, Bartlein , Brux ,Rock Creek will make whatever contour you want within safety margins. They’ll match your current contour barrel also.

Last edited by Daveinjax; 12/05/21.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'd just stick with a standard 4 groove. The 3 and 5 grooves are the fad of the month, and I've got some 5 groove, but I've yet to see that any of them do anything better than the 4 grooves that have been standard for years. The vast majority of benchrest barrels are 4 groove, if the others were better they'd be shooting them.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just sent off a Ruger No. 1 to them to get barreled in 6mm CM. I am going with a 5 groove.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by Padgett01
I am building a light weight, Remington 700. I plan to shoot 75 grain Gold Dots. I am considering a Pacnor 1 in 8 twist, 22 inch lightweight barrel, which number of grooves do you guys prefer and why? 3, 4, 5?
Whatever you get, Pac-Nor will give you a great barrel..

I've used them many times over the last 20+ years and only ONE dud - which they replaced pronto (any turd can leave the bowl) and paid me to reinstall... I have nothing but good to say about P-N..

Wish you were still in the business, Lee. I've got a 6x45 I want a faster twist barrel on.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Worst barrel I ever owned was a Pacnor. The gunsmith and Pacnor pointed fingers at each other. Pacnor conceded and offered to replace it under warranty and install it. Very generous... Problem is, the new barrel was a turd too. Everything was tried on that gun, stocks, scopes mounts, loads...didn't want to shoot. Then I gave up, parted it out, and tossed action into the safe for 6 years. Got a wild hair to try one more time. Ordered someone else's barrel on Black Friday last year and replaced barrel myself (Savage.) This gun shoots unreal now. It is my best shooting, least finicky gun in the safe.

Pacnor's allure in the past was their price. Kind of competed with Douglas in my opinion. Now they are the same price as a cut barrel, so why bother?

Last 4 other builds wear Kriegers, they all shoot too... Just Sayin'

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They made the barrel for my lightweight .223 AI (props to Scott and Larry for pushing the AI, it’s a hoot) and I chambered it. They barreled several rifles for me before I got set up to do it myself and always did good work. Glad to hear they are back up and running!

This’ll be from left field, but consider having them thread the muzzle for a brake .... a brake on a .223?! I threaded the muzzle on my AI and made my own brake that’s sort of a copy of the Holland. The reason isn’t to tame the *vicious* .223 recoil; it’s to make it so I can see my hits/misses at longer ranges, and boy does it work! The rifle hardly moves.

I went fast twist, for the 75 AMAX, but I don’t recall the number of lands/grooves.

Good luck!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Jeff_O; 12/05/21.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÃœCK PUTIN!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
594 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 160user, 17CalFan, 52 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,737
Posts18,401,102
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.