24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
What can I do with a "frosty" action that has some pitting. It's not worth filling it in with weld or anything else like that. Is there one finish that hides better than another? I have bead blasted it and can not seem to blend the pitting. It is an otherwise nice FN 24/47 action. It is gonna be a "utilitarian" grade shooter when I'm done with it. I'm considering Gunskins. I'll try to get pix up.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't sweat it. Maybe just cerakote it. I have a deluxe engraved 700 bdl action built into a 7mm-08 with a 700 Ti barrel. It was cerakoted olive drab. It was pitted badly before cerakoted. Even the bolt handle and knob. But it doesn't bother me. It's fine on the inside.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Pretty hard to "blend" pitting and not have it looking like pan hammered s hit. "That'll buff out", ah, no.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've seen several examples of pitting blended in with epoxy filler prior to cerakoting and they looked great; I've done a little with my shop epoxy on sight holes on barrels, followed by slow-low heat bake to cure, then about 250 for an hour - will cerakote later to see for myself how it comes out. Wish I could give you the results now. Talk to Cerakote applicator.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Better hope the epoxy doesn't let loose.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Bart, I've used black accra-glas w/a thin coat on an old Mauser before cerakoting and it worked out slick. Very little sanding before the cerakote. powdr

Last edited by powdr; 12/06/21.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Buddy bought an old 700 from a gun show and brought it over to the house. I told him something was not right about the gun as Remington did not make a stain black gun way back with a gloss stock. He left and carried it home and started cleaning it. He called me later to tell me the more he cleaned the more crap came off the rifle.
Turns out the action and part of the barrel closest to the receiver were pitted. The guy he bought it from had taken black shoe polish and filled in the pits and buffed everything down. I don't know what he put on the gun to keep the shoe polish from coming off on your hands but it did not. My buddy bought the gun for the action and was not upset about it as he was building a beater rifle to lone out to others that did not have a gun when they went hunting with him. Needless to say that gun is still known as the shoe polish gun.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have not done it, but people used to use epoxy to fill the pits sand it down smooth and then apply Cerro-Coat in whatever color one chose. The looked OK. I am a blue / walnut man.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends on how much work you want to put into it. If the pits aren't too deep you can run it on a sander grinder like most 'smiths do to get them ready for bluing and take off most of the pits if you know what you are doing. Of course, if you don't know what you are doing you can also remove all of the factory rolled lettering, serial numbers, etc.... draw filing also will take out the pits but is labor intensive and also requires a bit of skill and experience to get it done right.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sorry the pix are so small. I don't know how to post larger ones.

Attached Images
98 very small.JPG (16.79 KB, 159 downloads)
24-47 very small.JPG (23.92 KB, 164 downloads)
stupidly small 24-47_LI.jpg (14.53 KB, 155 downloads)
Last edited by Cowboybart; 12/07/21.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Whoa, that's the pits. Nasty.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Non slip finish.....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You could draw file a bunch of that out and and see what's left. I've had good results doing that and finishing with cerakote. If you do epoxy it, be aware that the epoxy will show a line at the transition if you are not VERY careful with the blaster.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
If you want quick option and can live with a painted action.
Start with some sandable primer. Paint with primer, sand with wet/dry sandpaper (wet). Repeat as necessary until smooth. Paint with final finish.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dian
If you want quick option and can live with a painted action.
Start with some sandable primer. Paint with primer, sand with wet/dry sandpaper (wet). Repeat as necessary until smooth. Paint with final finish.

This. It'll cost you < $20.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
775 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 91 invisible), 3,040 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.