Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
My local enabler gun store salesman called me and said he had just gotten back (consignment sale) a #1V that he sold a few years earlier. He said it was chambered in .25-06 and had some beautiful wood.

Not exactly in the market for another #1V, the quality of wood had me curious so I stopped by to take a look. He was right, the wood was really nice. Good figure and and streaking in the butt...and it was present on both sides! Not much figure on the forend but that was expected. Besides having a scope mounted, it looked brand new.

Caught by the wood, I started thinking of how I would use it and my only real application, besides paper punching / steel, would be sitting on some of our larger food plots where the extra weight wouldn't be a burden to tote.

Has anyone messed with this configuration before? Experiences? Having gotten out of the .25-06 game several years ago, I have to start over on components and dies. Good bullets or loads to try? I put a deposit on the rifle a week ago and plan to go back and get it next week. I will post photos when I bring it home.

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had one in the early 1970s for a couple of years as a primary groundhog rifle. When I bought it, I was looking for a 1V in .22-250, but none were available at the time. I decided to buy the .25-06 since I wanted a #1 so much. The rifle shot great with hand loads, but it was obviously more than needed for Tennessee groundhogs. I shot mostly 87-90 grain bullets over H4831 or H4350. Today I would try Hornady 75 grain V Max first. After a couple of years I traded it in to the same shop on a #1V in .22-250 and I think $20 boot.

Last edited by LeonHitchcox; 01/12/18.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I really like a good piece of wood on a blued rifle, but not enough to make me buy another #1 that likely won’t be very accurate.

NRA Patron
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
My local enabler gun store salesman called me and said he had just gotten back (consignment sale) a #1V that he sold a few years earlier. He said it was chambered in .25-06 and had some beautiful wood.

Not exactly in the market for another #1V, the quality of wood had me curious so I stopped by to take a look. He was right, the wood was really nice. Good figure and and streaking in the butt...and it was present on both sides! Not much figure on the forend but that was expected. Besides having a scope mounted, it looked brand new.

Caught by the wood, I started thinking of how I would use it and my only real application, besides paper punching / steel, would be sitting on some of our larger food plots where the extra weight wouldn't be a burden to tote.

Has anyone messed with this configuration before? Experiences? Having gotten out of the .25-06 game several years ago, I have to start over on components and dies. Good bullets or loads to try? I put a deposit on the rifle a week ago and plan to go back and get it next week. I will post photos when I bring it home.

My #1V is a 6mm Remington, a later model with the black pad and rather plain wood. Not benchrest accurate, but will do sub-MOA easily. My 2506 is a Ruger 77 V/T and shoots very well with 100gr BT and Reloader 22.

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mine shot 7 inch groups and scattered them all over. I was not a reloader then but there was obviously something wrong with that even with factory loads. Beautiful thing but i sent it down the road

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Mine was the most accurate factory rifle I've ever owned. Silly me, when times got tight, I sold it.

I loaded for it with Wilson in-line dies and an arbor press. That rifle would put three, 100 gr Sierra soft points into .3" groups at 100 yards, time after time. H4831 was the powder. I might still have the exact load jotted down here someplace.

These days I still have a 25-06, and it's a good rifle, but that 1V was special.

Guy

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Ruger #1s tend to be "difficult" for those of us who demand accuracy above minute of angle. I have owned a hand full over the years and still own two and a customized #3. I may have just been lucky, but everyone of them did or does well with handloads. My #3 is a Hornet and is one of the most accurate Hornets I have owned. (Still have 6 and many went down the road). I hunted for 30 years with a buddy who used his #1V in 25-06 as his stand rifle - and he was not fond of walking. I helped him develop handloads and checked the zero of that rifle many times over the years. His is consistently accurate - would put three shots into 5/8 inch just about anytime he took it out of the case. It was murder on Texas Whitetails.

I say take the chance, if it doesn't work out, get a divorce..............

John

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mine shoots 120 partitions 5 shots .455. When you get it pm me and I'll look up my load , I know I load it with H1000

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I own a lot of Ruger no. 1`s and here`s the deal with accuracy of a no.1: some Ruger no.1`s will shoot a hole I do have a couple that do,but most shoot a inch - 3/4 of an inch,some you can bed the forearm and that can help,handloads sometimes help???? I have just a plain jane Ruger no. 1 in a 243 win that shoots a hole with any ammo,also have a international full stock 257 Roberts that shoots a hole with handloads.but most no.1`s shoot under a inch pretty easy. I always hunt deer and antelope with no. 1`s ,no.1`s are just a classy rifle to use.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've got a 1B in 25-06. It's picky but also my favorite rifle. I settled on 117 grain Sierra Game Kings. They're tough to resist when you run across one with a nice stock. I think you'll be happy with it. Sounds like a great deer stand rifle

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I never followed up on this thread but I did end up with that rifle.

It took me a while to get around to scoping it and developing a load. The first bullet I tried was the 100gr Sierra GameKing. It regularly shoots this bullet just under an inch at 100yds. I could probably fiddle with seating depth a little and shrink that but I just haven't invested more time in this load. I also gave a try with the 110gr Sierra Tipped GameKing.....the rifle definitely does NOT like that bullet. I may try other bullets but I have a lot of irons in the fire so this may just get fed the 100gr SGK for a bit.

I have also been toting this rifle off and on for this season and last. I only carry it when I am sitting on some of our club's larger food plots. I always had a different rifle with me last season when I shot at game, but this year I finally got a doe with the 1V .25-06. The day after Thanksgiving I had one walk out and just beg me to take a trip home for the freezer.

Heaviest hunting rifle I own....set up for the "long" shots....and the first deer I shoot with it is a doe at 45yds. laugh

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
another short story about a Ruger # 1 , i own some swamp land in northern Minnesota i spent many days in that swamp cutting shooting lanes out to 300 yards 20 feet wide or more with chainsaw and bull work by me ,son was to young then . we use Ruger #1`s customer 257 Weather chambered barrels and my handloads . i feel we needed rifles that shot fast , shoot flat out to 300 yards just aim at them and knocks a nice buck down , might not be every year but when you do these bucks have been impressive. back in the nastiest stand we call the wolf stand with my long range Ruger #1 and lanes out too 300 yards i look down below my 8 foot high wolf stand there stands a monster whitetail buck 5 feet from stand, his horns were big made this buck look small in size , shot him at 30 feet running fell down dead. buck green scored 201 B.C. non-typical ,we also weighed this old buck 217 lbs.dressed. my son now hunts the wolf stand last year no buck but this year 2021 he shot a huge dark thick horned perfect 8 pt. with 8 inch brow tines and it dressed 225 lbs. now he has the heaviest buck weighed and shot at our camp . but we now have a new 10 year old hunter my grandson Alex who may someday with grandpa`s Ruger #1 kill a bigger buck ? hope you all had a safe great hunt this fall,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got a 1_b in 1976 because at that time deer hunting with a 22cal was illegal ,so the next thing up was 25/06 , turn out to be the best gun move I have made in a long time . Over the years I've had ad to change a few things but it loves 117 and 120 partitions ,I can get consistent 1in groups with both and it's my goto gun for most deer hunt days

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bought one, traded it, kind of regretted it.
I had it for like two days. Traded it towards a Win 71.
Buddy has It so maybe one day it will be back.
Don’t plan on getting rid of 71 though.
Jeff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 12 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.