C
Just sell it and buy an 8 twist Tikka

BP-B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
^^^This might be the easiest solution--if you can find one.

Have had a T3x 1-8 .22-250 sporter for maybe 3 years now, which at the time came from a special run from Whittaker Guns of Owensboro, Kentucky. My wife has been using it at her pronghorn and deer rifle for a while now, and it works great with 70-grain Hornady GMXs--but also shoots great with lead-core varmint bullets in the 80-85 grain range.

Some have also mentioned Shaw barrels. I have had very good luck with their accuracy since Shaw (then E.R. Shaw) retooled around 20 years ago, and my latest is a 6mm-06 stainless barrel duplicating Remington sporter weight that I had installed on a 700 action in early 2020. Shaw installed it, lapping the lugs and squaring the face of the barrel, and it shoots several loads into 1/2" or less. They charge very affordable prices for their barrels and work--and offer 1-8 twist .224 barrels. (While they offer Remington-contour barrels in 3 different weights, they don't offer Mountain Rifle contours.)

Their standard available chamberings (no extra charge) include the .22-250, .22-250 AI and .22 Creedmoor. The last two are basically the same cartridge. As I pointed out in one of my early articles on the 6.5 Creedmoor that it's essentially the old RCBS wildcat, the 6.5/.250 Savage Improved. (That article was written so long ago that some people were worried about obtaining 6.5 Creedmoor brass if the round "failed commercially." I found it could be fireformed in one step with the Cream of Wheat method with .22-250 brass.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Is this as simple as a rebarrel? Or will I need a new extractor, mag follower or anything else? If we have a good gunsmith on this site, I'd like to use a member of the 'fire family.

Shaen rifles, Shooter71 on here. You won't be disappointed.

This...Shaen is more than GTG. If anybody has any reservations about a contact number, I’m sure he’d answer PMs here if you not too lazy to send one.

Simple barrel swap as stated. All the rest is the same. Go with at least an 8 twist no doubt...

Last edited by joshf303; 12/05/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Have had a T3x 1-8 .22-250 sporter for maybe 3 years now, which at the time came from a special run from Whittaker Guns of Owensboro, Kentucky. My wife has been using it at her pronghorn and deer rifle for a while now, and it works great with 70-grain Hornady GMXs--but also shoots great with lead-core varmint bullets in the 80-85 grain range.

Some have also mentioned Shaw barrels. I have had very good luck with their accuracy since Shaw (then E.R. Shaw) retooled around 20 years ago, and my latest is a 6mm-06 stainless barrel duplicating Remington sporter weight that I had installed on a 700 action in early 2020. Shaw installed it, lapping the lugs and squaring the face of the barrel, and it shoots several loads into 1/2" or less. They charge very affordable prices for their barrels and work--and offer 1-8 twist .224 barrels. (While they offer Remington-contour barrels in 3 different weights, they don't offer Mountain Rifle contours.)

Their standard available chamberings (no extra charge) include the .22-250, .22-250 AI and .22 Creedmoor. The last two are basically the same cartridge. As I pointed out in one of my early articles on the 6.5 Creedmoor that it's essentially the old RCBS wildcat, the 6.5/.250 Savage Improved. (That article was written so long ago that some people were worried about obtaining 6.5 Creedmoor brass if the round "failed commercially." I found it could be fireformed in one step with the Cream of Wheat method with .22-250 brass.)

I think you are off by 30 grains with the varmint bullets

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Castle_Rock
Just sell it and buy an 8 twist Tikka

I would probably do that if I could find one in an 8 twist.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 22-250AI is easily my most accurate rifle with 55 grain Nosler ballistic tips tiny one hole groups at 100meters. It has the standard Remington twist for 22-250 Remington. It’s a standard Remington barrel that’s been re-chambered on a 700 action.

If you want a fast 22 for varmints it’s a hard cartridge to improve on.

As far as actions I’m pretty sure that the 700 is one of the best choices. Getting it blue-printed would eliminate flaws if any. Sending your barreled action to ER Shaw and have the work MD described will get you an assume rifle.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
even if it is that crotchety old Jack Mountain.

Hey! He ain't old...

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
For what you're talking about doing, I'd likely just give it to Pac-Nor.

Or sell me the Remington and buy what you want...

It's not very accurate as it is, that's one of the reasons I had considered making a project out of it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's how my 25-06 came to be...

Had a 30-06 with issues.
Thanks to Pac-Nor and Redneck it became my most used rifle.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
even if it is that crotchety old Jack Mountain.

Hey! He ain't old...

15?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Bugger

As far as actions I’m pretty sure that the 700 is one of the best choices. Getting it blue-printed would eliminate flaws if any. Sending your barreled action to ER Shaw and have the work MD described will get you an assume rifle.

Depends on what you expect out of an action and how much you plan on using it...but emotional attachment is hard to break.

There are a number of custom actions, even a couple factory actions, that easily do so much more than a standard or worked over 700 action. You’ll easily wrap $500 up getting a 700 up to “speed” with some of those actions and you’re still way behind...

Prices off a local smith’s page:
Blueprinting/trueing action threads $200
Drill and taping for 8/40 base screws $100
Replacing stock 700 extractor with M16/Sako style $200

Call me a moron too but that still leaves you with an action you have to send in to a smith to get a barrel properly built and headspace every time, an external lug, and a bolt face specific action with a shoddy bolt release.

A Bighorn Origin (probably the most budget friendly custom action available ) is the same money as a polished up 700 and you have the benefits of CRF, pinned lug, a real extractor, real bolt release on the side of the action, fluted bolt, bolt heads that can be swapped out from 223/308/WSM and the ability to use any prefits on the market. Same as a Tikka action...

Nowadays I just call a reputable smith and have them build a barrel without sending my actions in and playing the waiting game. This ain’t 1985 anymore...grin..

Last edited by joshf303; 12/05/21.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
22-250 will sometimes have a shorter mag box. I converted a 22-250 to 708 and had to drill out a couple of spot welds to get the mag box back to 2.80". Not sure how it will feed if in a sloppy mag

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 10at6
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I think you are off by 30 grains with the varmint bullets

Berger's twist-rate formula shows a stability of 1.44 with the 85.5 grain LR Hybrid at 4000' above sea level, when started at 3000 fps.

Have shot a bunch of 80-85 grain lead-cores with various 1-8 twist .224s in various chamberings from .223 up, in various temperatures. So far they have all done well. So which way is my assessment of "varmint bullets off by 30 grains?"

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hart offers a Remington 700 MR contour.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If you get rid of a 6.5 CM, doesn't that mean you will become ineligible to continue wearing the spandex shorts?

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you get rid of a 6.5 CM, doesn't that mean you will become ineligible to continue wearing the spandex shorts?

I could be a spandex guy

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am a bit heavy in the 6.5 range and could use a 22-250. I have a stainless Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 6.5 Creed that I would consider rebarreling. I know essentially nothing about this. I'd definitely need a gunsmith to do this. If I do this, I'll twist it at eight or nine. Who makes a barrel in this taper? What other parts would be needed? Any gunsmith recommendations? I like the Bell and Carlson stock that it sits in.

Lots of .22-250 takeoff barrels to be had, maybe not in the MR contour though.
Maybe run that 6.5 Creed out to PRC or something more exuberant for a LA build.

Me, I’d rebarrel your 6.5 into a 6 Creed, and sell / trade the 22-250 stuff that’s gathering dust.

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Is this as simple as a rebarrel? Or will I need a new extractor, mag follower or anything else? If we have a good gunsmith on this site, I'd like to use a member of the 'fire family.

Shaen rifles, Shooter71 on here. You won't be disappointed.

Pulled up his website
I'm leery of businesses that don't have a phone number and address prominently displayed at top of page.

Nothing to be leery about with him. He’s a gunsmith, not a web designer. Shaen does good work and has put together rifles for myself and two of my brothers.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 338Rules
I am a bit heavy in the 6.5 range and could use a 22-250. I have a stainless Remington 700 Mountain rifle in 6.5 Creed that I would consider rebarreling. I know essentially nothing about this. I'd definitely need a gunsmith to do this. If I do this, I'll twist it at eight or nine. Who makes a barrel in this taper? What other parts would be needed? Any gunsmith recommendations? I like the Bell and Carlson stock that it sits in.

Lots of .22-250 takeoff barrels to be had, maybe not in the MR contour though.
Maybe run that 6.5 Creed out to PRC or something more exuberant for a LA build.

Me, I’d rebarrel your 6.5 into a 6 Creed, and sell / trade the 22-250 stuff that’s gathering dust.

I've got a 6 Creed that is a real shooter. I also have a PRC that's a real shooter.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Whine about 700’s then add a huge cock on the end of your snout… 😂😂

Jesus Christ the elite “outdoorsman “ are something else nowadays…

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
764 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 93 invisible), 3,025 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.