Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Originally Posted by EFHutton
Liver and hearts go good with turnip greens , Poor folk food , Glad to have it back when I was a kid.

glad to have it back when I was a kid too. Glad that I don't need it anymore now.

I grew up poor , We’d trade a couple live coons for a white Turkey at the trade days in the fall , Daddy had a Oldsmobile station wagon with mud tires on the back , hauled a many of animals in that car .

BP-B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
When I pulled the neck out of the cavity my kids said what's its neck doing up its bum. I said if it's OK for our president it's OK for our turkey. Get the holiday politics started before the birds in the oven.

The neck and giblets go right in the garbage at our house. Depression era people always told me growing up that boiling the neck makes great gravy. I found out that so does all the drippings in the bottom of the roasting bag. Wife prefers the knorr envelope packet gravy. Maybe by the time the dems are done with our economy we'll all be wanting giblets and turkey necks like our grandparents. We've had it too good.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I boil all that stuff to make my gravy....give it a few hours to simmer, then I put the heart, liver, etc through a garlic press and it gives perfect flavor and texture.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by irfubar
Dice up the gizzard and liver, stir them in the gravy and live a little.... the neck goes to the dog... win/win

you seem to have forgotten the heart.

And the neck got picked today and the larger pieces went in the soup pot. The smaller ones to the pile of skin, picked cartilage, and scraps that will get run through the Osterizer and turned into dog biscuits tomorrow.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We boil them, use the broth in the dressing, and cut the guts and neck meat up to add to the dressing.

There are sure a bunch of pussified picky people here who obviously didn't grow up on small farms and some who know what to do with the packet.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Offer them bag of guts to your black neighbors

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
only black man I know of for at least 6 miles is a retired Navy officer. I get his mail by accident in my box. Our mail lady is dyslexic

Might be insulted if I carried a snapping turtle and some carp up to him. I don’t know, never can tell

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by slumlord

Who the hell thought we wanted that?

Dude the best gravy.

Exactly. What passes for turkey gravy in a lot of places is oily Elmer's glue.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes. Gravy and dressing.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Sell that chit to CiCi’s pizza for pepperoni!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’ll never forget the look on my kids face when I pulled out the neck, held it up and told my kids the Turkey must have been a boy

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That stuff was the most popular in my family. The neck was for the oldest, the gizzards were what we fought over.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would buy turkey necks at the store when they had them and cook them in the slow cooker with a little mushroom soup.

There's quite a bit of meat on the neck.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by windridge
We boil them, use the broth in the dressing, and cut the guts and neck meat up to add to the dressing.

There are sure a bunch of pussified picky people here who obviously didn't grow up on small farms and some who know what to do with the packet.

Exactly what we do. Stuffing ain't stuffing without the goodies, and btw, I never let a heart or liver go to waist.

Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Always used to make gravy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The gizzard man!

If I can score the gizzards and the oysters it a great turkey day.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Boil the neck, heart and liver, shred the meat off the neck with a fork, mince the heart and liver, use the broth, celery and onions, to make stuffing.

Gravy is made with all the drippings in the bottom of the pan, usually about a couple quarts of liquid, includes whatever overstuffed fell in the bottom. Pour through a strainer into a skillet, add flour and water.

Kent

Last edited by krp; 12/06/21.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Always use the turkey drippings and the giblets, stewed and diced for gravy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Deer heart is the first thing to be eaten here, pan fried or smoked, guess I am full retard. Liver soaked blood out and sliced thin with onions is next.

Love chicken gizzards and livers, smoked livers and mash up with mustard and horseradish is a favorite.

With all the kids around the table at our place, the neck off a chicken did not go to waste, it was mine every time as the girls did not like it, suited me. Wish I could buy chicken hearts by the tub. I buy a couple extra packs of smoked turkey necks from the Kroger to add to the ones in the packet to make the giblet gravy. Waste not, want not.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I eat the heart and gizzard. No one else in family will eat them. I was introduced to them by my grandfather and for as long as I can remember he and I would share them on turkey day. To this day I still eat them, thanks to my Grandfather!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
512 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 50 invisible), 2,256 guests, and 1,032 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,171
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.