Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

My thinking on the 380, if I were to carry one, would be to go with non-expanding bullets, to stack the deck in favor of penetration.

Ball ammo would be the default there, but the Lehigh bullet seems to increase wounding ability while still giving decent penetration. Most of the expanding hollow points seem to get no more than 7-10" penetration in gel testing.

It appears to me that the ammo companies play a somewhat deceptive marketing game when it comes to .380. The FBI protocol tests involve shots at bare gelatin plus five other tests involving barriers in front of gel-clothing, wallboard, plywood, steel and auto glass. Rounds are evaluated on penetration across all media, and a “pass” also requires expansion of 1-1/2 times the diameter of the bullet (IIRC) in each test. Ball ammo, hard cast or mono metal non-hollow point rounds cannot pass any of the tests because they will not expand at all. But, the manufacturers and YouTube experts have pitched that non-LEO don’t have to worry about barriers but only about bad guys at close range and facing the good guy. They shoot ammo through bare gel and clothed gel only, get 1-1/2 times expansion and the requisite penetration in the gel, and proclaim that the ammo meets FBI spec for typical non-LEO encounters.

To me, bone is a barrier very likely to be encountered in any encounter. So, I think it is a cop out to avoid doing any kind of hard barrier testing and then proclaim the ammo to be good for self-defense. My hypothesis is that the .380 Xtreme Penetrator would come closest overall to meeting all of the the FBI protocol tests than any other hollow point or ball ammo in the caliber. The MAC video posted above appears to confirm this. Winchester white box ball is a flat point that may be better than round nose for someone who wants to go with regular ball ammo.

I love Gold Dots in 9mm, .40 S&W and .45 ACP, but in my test with .380 Gold Dots, they failed in gel after passing through denim covered meat, and one failed miserably in penetration after shattering a pork rib bone.

This is just my personal opinion. I hope I never have to test it for real, although I probably will try some more Bubba tests with different ammo.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
^^^All that makes sense to me.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Winchester white box ball is a flat point that may be better than round nose for someone who wants to go with regular ball ammo.

Others may have a different experience with their LCPs but I occasionally had an issue with the Winchester white box flat points. About once in a magazine, the rim of an ejecting empty would catch on the edge of the flat point in the next round up in the magazine and jump the extractor.

Loading one round of the flat point in the chamber, and following with round nose FMJ in the magazine resolved that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I carry a LC9s. Not much bigger than a cell phone. I can put it in my front pocket without a profile and I have 7 9mms at my immediate disposal.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 99guy
I carry a LC9s. Not much bigger than a cell phone. I can put it in my front pocket without a profile and I have 7 9mms at my immediate disposal.

Been thinking about the Pro version. No mag disconnect and no manual safety.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by 99guy

Been thinking about the Pro version. No mag disconnect and no manual safety.

Had one of those. No complaints at all. I only sold it because I have a couple of other handguns that fill that niche just as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought a Ruger LCP II for my wife a couple years ago. It came with a nice pocket holster. I've always been a .38 Special minimum guy. My 2 day a week part time job has me driving late at night sometimes in town. I usually carry my G43 IWB in a We The People kydex holster. Lately, I've had some lower back issues that are made worse by IWB carry. The other night after some brainstorming, I decided to carry the LCP II in my strong side pants pocket. It's light enough that you never know it's there, and it doesn't print in 5.11 cargo pants. Loaded with Gold Dots or Hornady XTP ammo, I can hit within 3" at 10 yards. It's not a 9mm, but way better than no pistol. I've been thinking about getting a pocket holster for my S&W 642 loaded with 135 grain Gold Dot short barrel +P ammo.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Here is a good link to testing different ammo.
https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/
I believe a 380 is what it is, a deep concealment firearm. Good for summer carry in tee shirt weather when penetrating isn’t the biggest obstacle. Winter carry not as good, especially in the north with heavy clothing being worn everyday.
Some guys are comfortable and able to carry full sized guns concealed without any problems (usually those damn skinny guys). I’m not one of those, I prefer smaller guns. But now winter is upon us, so more and more fat guys can start carrying bigger guns concealed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All this pocket pistol talk got me to thinking. I just purchased a Ruger EC9s from my LGS on sale for $259.99. I also bought a spare 9 round magazine for it. Now to put some rounds through it to assure functioning l, and finding a suitable pocket holster.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Orwell
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I already have an LCP II. I just wanted a small pistol with more horsepower. For the price I couldn't pass it up. Smaller than my Glock 43. Plan on loading it
with 147 grain HST. If my lower back wasn't becoming an issue, I'd just continue to carry my G43 IWB.

Ron

Orwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57

Available without a manual safety?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I bought a Ruger LCP II for my wife a couple years ago. It came with a nice pocket holster. I've always been a .38 Special minimum guy. My 2 day a week part time job has me driving late at night sometimes in town. I usually carry my G43 IWB in a We The People kydex holster. Lately, I've had some lower back issues that are made worse by IWB carry. The other night after some brainstorming, I decided to carry the LCP II in my strong side pants pocket. It's light enough that you never know it's there, and it doesn't print in 5.11 cargo pants. Loaded with Gold Dots or Hornady XTP ammo, I can hit within 3" at 10 yards. It's not a 9mm, but way better than no pistol. I've been thinking about getting a pocket holster for my S&W 642 loaded with 135 grain Gold Dot short barrel +P ammo.

Ron

I’ve carried the standard LCP in my strong side pants pocket for years. Not as my primary carry gun, but as my BUG.
Carry the Gold Dot HP load in the summertime.
In the winter, where thick clothing is involved, or if I’m out hunting, I switch to the extra magazine I carry loaded with the Buffalo Boar Hard Cast Load for extra penetration.
And if I’m setting around the house at night in my shorts, it’s always in my pocket.

I also have 2 LCP II’s. One in 22 LR and one in .380.
Still prefer the original LCP though.
I usually throw the LCP II in 22 LR in my hunting pack with 50 rounds of ammo when deer hunting. It’s kinda my “survival” BUG. It’s also very accurate and reliable like my original LCP.

I just looked at one of the new model LCP II Max Models at my local gun store. Same size as the standard LCP II but with a wider grip frame to accommodate for the double stack magazines that hold 10 rounds, or the one with the finger extension that holds 12 rounds.
Might have to trade my other LCP II 380 in for one.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

I have exact same pistol. I hope you are surprised with the accuracy just as I was.
I added this kit and it was a great improvement to the trigger.
https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-lc9s-ec9s-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
My wife has the LCP II. It’s a little bigger than my LCP Custom but smaller than the EC9S. She had the EC9S, I bought 2 at the same time. She liked the LCP II’s size better. It’s her purse gun. If I carried a purse I’d have an UZI in it,lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
My wife has the LCP II. It’s a little bigger than my LCP Custom but smaller than the EC9S. She had the EC9S, I bought 2 at the same time. She liked the LCP II’s size better. It’s her purse gun. If I carried a purse I’d have an UZI in it,lol

LOL. I’d prefer a Glock 18 over an Uzi any day. Much lighter and a faster rate of Fire. 🤠

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just wanted a reliable pocket 9mm for My two days a week job until until I get
my back issues squared away. Still carry my P365XL to church, still carry my G43 in my Desantis mini slide OWB. My work outfit is not conducive to concealing a pistol carried OWB. 5.11 pants and a polo shirt. Can't afford to get made carrying while I'm working. I'll just leave it at that.

Ron

Last edited by Ohio7x57; 12/11/21.

Orwell
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The only time I have ever felt like I needed to have a gun with me all day was Vietnam. I've gotten past that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Opinions vary

Ron

Last edited by Ohio7x57; 12/11/21.

Orwell
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (35, 7887mm08, 7x57Hunter, 44mc, Ashworth, 10 invisible), 1,258 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,262
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.