-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
All good, but sausage gravy is best if you start with a "slurry"...flour and milk whisked together with the raw sausage crumbled into it. Salt and pepper to taste after thickening.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Use about 2-3 Tbs bacon grease. 2tbs flour to iron skillet. Salt & pepper to taste. Brown flour storing over medium heat. Turn up heat and add water a little at a time stiring. Add cooked sausage crumbled. Make it sorta thin (watery) it will thicken.
Use more grease than flour. Biscuits, eggs, hash browns.
Coffee…..

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by ltppowell
All good, but sausage gravy is best if you start with a "slurry"...flour and milk whisked together with the raw sausage crumbled into it. Salt and pepper to taste after thickening.

Originally Posted by rainshot
Use about 2-3 Tbs bacon grease. 2tbs flour to iron skillet. Salt & pepper to taste. Brown flour storing over medium heat. Turn up heat and add water a little at a time stiring. Add cooked sausage crumbled. Make it sorta thin (watery) it will thicken.
Use more grease than flour. Biscuits, eggs, hash browns.
Coffee…..

No, and HELL no. No sausage gravy in the world is made with water. JFC……

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
LOL

fat drippins, flour and mrlk

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
🤣

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
You can make it with milk if you want but water is what I like.,

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
If you have to have a package and instructions to make gravy, you may as well go to Denny’s 😂

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Esox357
1 pk of jimmy dean sausage

Brown in skillet, after browning sausage, stir in approx 1/4 cup of flour . Pour 2.5 cups of milk in........slowly and stir while simmering. Add course black pepper to taste. Recipe was found online, not mine.

The only change I would make is to dust the top of the gravy with poultry seasoning instead of using pepper.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brown 1/2 pound of sausage and 1/4 pound of chopped bacon until all fat is rendered and bacon is crispy. Remove meat and add 1/2 cup of flour to drippings and whisk until a light roux forms. Don't brown it too much. Return meat to roux and add 4 cups of whole milk--skim and 2% need not apply--and bring to a slow simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, or as close to it as you can stand. Add sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste while still simmering. Lots of pepper is good but you said you don't want it too spicy.

Voila.

If you don't like the idea of bacon in the gravy use 3/4 pound of sausage. But you should at least brown it in bacon drippings for best flavor. This recipe is mine and I've made it hundreds of times.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P.S. Serves 3 people or 2 really hungry people, so scale accordingly.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nothing is simpler. I just tell my wife I'd like some sausage gravy and biscuits and a little while later, voila, I have sausage gravy and biscuits.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Brown 1/2 pound of sausage and 1/4 pound of chopped bacon until all fat is rendered and bacon is crispy. Remove meat and add 1/2 cup of flour to drippings and whisk until a light roux forms. Don't brown it too much. Return meat to roux and add 4 cups of whole milk--skim and 2% need not apply--and bring to a slow simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly, or as close to it as you can stand. Add sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste while still simmering. Lots of pepper is good but you said you don't want it too spicy.

Voila.

If you don't like the idea of bacon in the gravy use 3/4 pound of sausage. But you should at least brown it in bacon drippings for best flavor. This recipe is mine and I've made it hundreds of times.

That’s basically what I do but with whole sliced bacon. Just eat it on the side. Lot of pepper,

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Skip the sausage and make it with bacon. As Slummy said, fat drippings, flour and milk.

Fry the bacon & take it out of the pan. Spoon off most of the grease leaving about two tablespoons of grease and the residue. Over medium heat gently stir in a couple of tablespoons of flour, stirring the whole time and brown the roux for a few minutes then start stirring in milk until it's the proper consistency and cook for a bit.

I learned it from my grandmother and mom so I don't know exact amounts or times, I just do it by feel and add stuff until it looks right so my portions and times are probably off a good bit. Forget the sausage though, that belongs on the side. Sausage in gravy is just a crutch to fix bad gravy.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Not much easier.

Fry up some bacon. Remove and eat.
Fry up breakfast sausage in the bacon grease. Add flour about equal to your volume of grease. Whisk until your roux is smooth and bubblin’.

Add 1/2&1/2, whisking in on low heat. Let it come to a simmer and keep adding a bit until your desired consistency.

Season with S&P and cayenne to taste.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GAGoober
Pioneer gravy mix?

This is my answer also. Put a little less water in it, to thicken it up.

Last edited by KC; 12/06/21.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Planning on my Sunday “cheat day” and I’m gonna make biscuits and gravy. I’ll buy some bulk pork sausage at Safeway but I need a great gravy recipe. Be advised I like my gravy thick but not spicy hot.

Help a brother out.

I make sure theres lots of sausage grease in the pan and I use gravy mix in place of plain flour when I get to stirring the milk in...the grease is the key though.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bacon or bacon grease in sausage gravy, blasphemy. Save the bacon parts for bacon gravy. shocked

Cast iron skillet mandatory for standout flavor.

Rue must be slightly browned without burning. None of that cracker white or watery opaque stuff.

Speaking of water, it should never be near sausage gravy until it's time to wipe out the skillet.

A small, very small pat of butter will keep the gravy from skimming over if it sets. But gravy skim is pretty robust & some prefer it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It's roux.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Nothing is simpler. I just tell my wife I'd like some sausage gravy and biscuits and a little while later, voila, I have sausage gravy and biscuits.

You misspelled husband w I f e you dumbfugk

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
It's roux.

Deauxn’t confuse ‘em.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

394 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 1minute, 16penny, 44 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.