Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Funny thing about collecting is that oftentimes the worth of an object barely keeps up with inflation, unless the object is deemed to be rare or particularly collectible, and sometimes that's hard to judge ahead of time. Take for instance this example (I pulled the original price off the web, so take it with a grain of salt):

A 1963 Pre-64 Featherweight '06 sold in the store when new for $135. Run through an inflation calculator that's $1,220.25 in today's dollars. In other words, just about what that rifle will sell for today. So it's not really making any money. Of course, a person could've bought one, squirreled it away and not shot it for 58 years and made some money on a perfectly mint specimen....but those profits made from the sale might also be used up on fuel while driving around to gunshows for six months trying to hawk the rifle.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How many other things do we spend our dollars on that you can use for decades pass down from one generation to the next and with basic minimal care have it actually keep pace with inflation?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mackay sagebrush: Don't confuse yourself anymore than you already have - I have many, many dozens of pistols, Rifles and shotguns that I currently shoot!
And I have been shooting firearms for 68 full years now (started at age 6).
I have shot pistols, Rifles, pellet guns and shotguns, already, so far this month.
I am 3 guns behind in cleaning right now.
I AM a shooter - professionally trained in some disciplines in fact.
I dare say I go through 5,000 (five thousand!) to 8,000 (eight thousand!) rounds of rimfire, centerfire and shotshell ammunition per year!
I shoot guns A LOT!
But pointing out your simplistic and uninformed contention that EVERY firearm must be shot to be "enjoyed" is simply incorrect, and it is to the point of being stupid!
I AM a collector, as well, and have been doing so profitably, I might add, for a very long time.
Trying to besmirch anyone for collecting guns is puzzling, snobbish and frankly stupid!
Calling my learned experience and disdain of leather holsters and my commenting against their use, when better options are available, an "admonishment" - well that is just a stretch.
I have not worn, used or stored a pistol in a leather holster for decades now - I have about 40+ of them in my gun vault room on a long shelf should you be interested in buying any.
Carrying and or storing a blued pistol (and stainless pistols to a lesser extent) will diminish a pistols value, eventually.
Leather holsters look good but they are NOT for me, any longer (after using them personally and professionally for over 40 years).
You've been "admonished" (again?).
And again this - there are many reasons to own firearms - shooting is just ONE of them!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I agree that guns are one of the few technologies that hold their value and function over the generations, but my point was more that oftentimes they're not the best investment, like Mackay mentioned. For instance, if a guy had taken that same $135 in 1963 and put it in the stock market, then reinvested the interest, using a historical investment calculator following the Dow (and not counting dividends, because the calculator I used isn't that advanced), that $135 would be worth $5,416 in 2020. Even factoring in taxes that's a nice return. Of course a person could've blown all that money on a company that went under, but then again someone could steal the gun or a house could burn down with the gun inside over the course of all those years.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
prairie goat: Don't want to go to a gunshow or a gunshop - well then just sit on your ass in your big chair and complain - that is up to you.
I greatly enjoy doing gunshows, gunshops and travelling to view estate sales with guns included!
I have been doing so for well over half a century now - with NO signs of let-up.
These are very enjoyable and rewarding (profitable also!) hobbies to me (collecting, Hunting & shooting) and the views to the contrary by myopic cranky folks won't dissuade ME from doing so - in any way shape or form.
I did a gunshow east of me this past weekend and I'll be doing another gunshow, east of me this coming weekend.
Enjoy your big chair.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
If gun shows are how you like to spend your time, more power to you. It's just that fuel, time, wear and tear on vehicles, and additional storage ought to be factored into any profits, which I rarely see factored in when the boys are bragging about their collectible gun sales. Kind of like how trappers will talk about how much they made off their pelts, but neglect to mention all the fuel and broken axles it took to get those hides out of the hills and in to the fur buyer.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Anyone who considers gunshows and estate sales their social life... Of course, what would I know, as I'm only 62 (sixty-two) years old. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ballyhoo
I need some advice from the S&W collectors. I have been in the market for a model 17 and picked a 17-8 Lew Horton heritage series with the case colored frame from the performance center, at a good price. This came with box, manual, and spent shell. Condition is 99% with just a light drag line. I do not have safe queens and was wondering if I should get a set of target grips for this and start shooting it, or try to make a few bucks and buy a shooter. From reading, it appears that the 17-8 is the least desirable series but this one has a steel 6 shot cylinder and people that have shot them say they are excellent shooters. Any and all opinions welcome.
Thanks

Shoot it or sell it to someone to avoid 50%+/- reduction in value do to range use. With few exceptions guns are not good investment do to regulations governing purchase and sale. Example of exception would be John Rigby SxS external hammer gun chambered for .450-400 NE or similar cartridge in very good original condition. This is something uncommon (not many made as manufacturer focused on magazine rifles or some hammerless SxS but fewer external hammer guns) that a well connected fella would buy from outside of USA. Most guns are not worth the bother. Magazine rifle is name used for very expensive made to order bolt action rifle.
When it comes to handguns one must focus on something prized everywhere guns are owned and sold. One example would be Swiss made P210, although I happen to think those made in Germany were better. S&W Model 17 is simply not one of such guns.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Unless they're unfired I shoot everything I own, I too like 5" S & W's. I have made several, always keeping the original barrel intact and shortening a correct vintage donor barrel. Skeeter Skelton knew what he was talking about when he championed the 5" barreled S & W ! I shoot the "Skeeter Load" of 7.5gr. Unique more than any other load in both .44 Special and .44 Magnum.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Only on the Campfire.... several different points of view, all sides are completely right, but it's got to be a pissing match because .....

A. I can see and appreciate collecting....look at specialized gun collections with every variation of a particular manufacturer or model....it's impressive to me, just to see it. To consider the time, resources, research and dedication that go into it is admirable.

B I can appreciate accumulating (the difference between collectors and accumulators being accumulators don't go to the meetings.) I'm an accumulator, I get some guns "just because" but there's no rhyme or reason behind what I get.

C. There are the traders. They love to wheel and deal. I have a brother like that with antiques. So many times I've seen him after an auction and he shows me some great score, something interesting, with a history. He knows all about it. Next time I'm at his house it's gone down the road because he was able to triple his money. Some guys do this with guns and if their only interest is how much they can make on a deal, more power to them. Not for me to say it's a waste of his time and money....it's his time and money.

D. Some are hard-core users. They just want to shoot. They want a gun to work for them and don't care what it looks like or what it takes to get there, they just want it to work and work well.

E. Some are mechanical hobbyists. They love to tinker, to machine, to make, build, modify, improve.

Most of us have overlaps, portions of two or more of the above in us. I would say I'm about equal parts B, D, and E.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The key is to buy something in excellent mechanical order, but with some outside carry type wear. Avoid stuff little used or unused stuff in shipping box with papers and tags. That way you can use the gun and not as they say "loose value by driving off the lot".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
641 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 74 invisible), 2,757 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.