24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I normally hunt PA and/or NE OH. I do a slow walk stopping quite often. Unfortunately my back bothers me more now that I'm older and is affecting my legs more. Starting not to be able to go as far as I would like. Walked up many a deer that way.

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I love tracking and still hunting. Once you get on a track you can learn what a deer is doing. I had one that would always go through a thicket and circle around to the left and come out behind me after the third time we hit a thicket and instead of following through I circled left on the way in and stood there waiting for him to walk to me.. I was on that track for most of the day shooting him at last light. It took me hours in the dark to drag him out to a trail.

Last edited by erich; 12/08/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never been good at tracking, there are enough deer in the Black Hills that tracks get awful cluttered. Have not had much success.

I like still hunting, but normally it involves going from rattling location to rattling location. Or sitting for awhile, then moving to another location to sit. Have never put on 10-15 miles going after deer. Have done it many times covering ground while bowhunting elk.

Spot and stalk and is my preferred method.
I have not sat in a treestand for many years, easily close to 15.
I do not mind ground blinds, and that is how I hunt deer with my traditional bows

I like trucks, one of the best ground blinds ever made. Contain scent and do not leave a bunch of human scent on the ground contaminating the area.

Last edited by CRS; 12/08/21.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1minute
Spot and stalk or still hunt. Is there any other way to actually hunt?

We are lucky I guess. Those guys in the east hunt from stands. I love to be out there still hunting, tracking and reading sign. I don't just get on a track though, sometimes you have to try to anticipate where they are going and then get there before they do. That all depends on the time of day though. Elk always watch their backtrack so you can't just get on a track and follow it... No other way for me..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I could never stand just sitting in a blind. I have to be out there on foot. This year my partner and I spotted 9 elk from about 1.5 miles away and we watched them bed down in a shallow draw. We drove about 1/2 mile on a road to get the wind right and then hiked about 1.25 miles to get to them. We knew exactly where they were and walked right into them. We both got our cows.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 1minute
Spot and stalk or still hunt. Is there any other way to actually hunt?

We are lucky I guess. Those guys in the east hunt from stands. I love to be out there still hunting, tracking and reading sign. I don't just get on a track though, sometimes you have to try to anticipate where they are going and then get there before they do. That all depends on the time of day though. Elk always watch their backtrack so you can't just get on a track and follow it... No other way for me..

Yes, you are lucky. I would have loved to have spent my deer hunting life tracking, still hunting, or stalking. However, conditions in the South don't allow it. Flat, too much underbrush, and ground covered with woody debris all combine to make silent movement, however slow, impossible. Some very local exceptions may exist, but I haven't seen them in person.

By the way, most southerners misuse the term still hunt. They really mean "stand hunt". It's been my understanding that to still hunt means to move so slowly as to appear to be still.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Still hunting in the classic sense around here is practically impossible. I’ve done it on occasion but only in larger creek bottoms. Even there a foot of sycamore, oak and other hardwood leaves makes it really tough unless it’s after a rain or pretty windy.
Most hunting land is owned by paper companies and consists of pine plantations at varying stages of growth. Cutovers where you can see hundreds of yards but covered with logging debris or saplings so thick you can’t see ten yards. Oh, and no snow.
Food plots, shooting houses and tree stands are the way to go.
Do a search for NAS Meridian, ms on googel earth or your favorite app with aerial photos. Then go about 3-4 miles WNW and check out the timber. Still hunting ain’t happening there.

Last edited by navlav8r; 12/09/21.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glass, spot and stalk. Pack the meat out on my back. That is how I was taught to hut and that is how I hunt. Personally I HATE sitting in a blind if there is another way to hunt. I'll do it, but that is my least favorite way to hunt.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Still hunting and spot and stalk are the only ways I hunted until a few years ago, plus tracking for some of the African stuff. Age caught up with me and Texas box blinds started looking more and more attractive.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The OP posted in General Game, yet talked about old school tactic he uses on Whitetail deer. On Whitetail deer I do very little of what he outlined as "old school". Hunting Wisconsin, Minnesota and Michigan private land I spend a lot of time studying terrain, feed and bedding areas, then sit on the ground, stump, log, bucket or set up a ground blind or ladder stand.

If there is enough hunters available, conduct deer drives. To me, while hunting Whitetail deer, the most exhilarating experience is being on stand and knowing there are 10-20 drivers moving toward you.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A whole lot of mining activity...Both past and present around here. The woods are criscrossed with old overgrown mining and logging roads.

I just can't stand to sit in one place too long. I'm always wondering what might be right over that next rise or on the other side of that thicket.

I generally just park my vehicle down low....near the creek or railroad tracks and start sneaking along some of those old roads. Always hunting uphill and into the wind.

Sometimes it works out, Most of the time it don't but when I do kill one, I have a downhill drag.

One other thing, I'm only 52 years old but dragging deer is getting tougher each and every year so I have been holding out for the smaller ones. Got me a trophy doe a week and a half ago.....Got tenderloins, backstraps , 2 roasts and 17 pounds of burger out of her....Very easy to drag.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Oregon we have lots of public land. In my estimation about 5% of tag holders are hunters who wear out boots. The other 95% wear out tires.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Sykotik
A whole lot of mining activity...Both past and present around here. The woods are criscrossed with old overgrown mining and logging roads.

I just can't stand to sit in one place too long. I'm always wondering what might be right over that next rise or on the other side of that thicket.

I generally just park my vehicle down low....near the creek or railroad tracks and start sneaking along some of those old roads. Always hunting uphill and into the wind.

Sometimes it works out, Most of the time it don't but when I do kill one, I have a downhill drag.

One other thing, I'm only 52 years old but dragging deer is getting tougher each and every year so I have been holding out for the smaller ones. Got me a trophy doe a week and a half ago.....Got tenderloins, backstraps , 2 roasts and 17 pounds of burger out of her....Very easy to drag.

Why drag?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some states require deer to be brought into the check station whole.. field dressing ok.

Years ago we would hang them in a tree near the kill sight and the last day of the season the whole camp would spend the day dragging them in.

Last edited by erich; 12/10/21.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still hunting, spot-and-stalk, tracking, stand hunting, calling, drive hunting; I adapt to the conditions, terrain, and game behaviour. I’m not attached to any one method of hunting (though truck hunting is the least enjoyable, IMO).

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
(though truck hunting is the least enjoyable, IMO).

As a rancher friend said to me once after helping me get a backcountry bull out; for me anymore, a hardship hunt is manual windows!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
LOL

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
(though truck hunting is the least enjoyable, IMO).

As a rancher friend said to me once after helping me get a backcountry bull out; for me anymore, a hardship hunt is manual windows!

HA! Now that is a good one!

Semper Fi
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like walking and stalking, but don’t hunt anywhere open enough to do that.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Depends on where you are. If you have a small plot of land or there are allot of hunters in the area then still hunting. If you have room to roam and you don't have to worry about being shot and the conditions are right, spot and stalk all the way. I love spot and stalk hunting in the rain. I have killed numerous deer that way including a wall hanger.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
188 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 15 invisible), 1,521 guests, and 846 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.