Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No love for the 130 gr Swift Scirocco? Asking for a friend.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[
Originally Posted by WAM
No love for the 130 gr Swift Scirocco? Asking for a friend.

Tell yo friend it’s a good bullet. May be a bit more sticky than some.

Has good terminal performance. May be a tad COAL sensitive, but generally not hard to get to shoot.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a 260 (I also have a Creedmoor but have not killed anything with it) that has taken several deer with 100 gr NBT at around 3250 FPS and all have been bang flops.
I was shooting the 260 long before the Creedmoor came on the market, but they are about the same balletically.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
If we're transferring .260 experience, any of the soft 120gr deer bullets works well for that.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Used several different bullets in my 260 Rem (a male version of the Creed) and my absolute favorite for dropping in their tracks and accuracy is the 140 Gameking. Always got pass throughs too.

Last edited by kenjs1; 12/08/21.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My rifle loves the 140 SGK and IMR4350 and I hope to bust some pigs with it this weekend.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
If we're transferring .260 experience, any of the soft 120gr deer bullets works well for that.

I doubt you or the critters will notice any difference between those two rounds.

DF

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
130 Accubond has killed a ton of deer for us. Kids shoot them in their rifles. Mine likes the 139 grain Scenar and I have shot several deer the last 2 years with them. Just shot another doe this evening. 0-300 yards and have had 2 holes in every one so far with good damage in between.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Partition, accubonds, ttsx, game changers. Eldx
You reload?
Honestly any bonded bullet will work.
Monos like ttsx work better going faster. So 120

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve shot a lot of different 6.5 CM bullets. At least for accuracy, the inexpensive Norma Whitetail 140 factory load has been a pleasant surprise. It isn’t a very aerodynamic bullet, but has proven very accurate from my rifle inside 300 yards. Has anyone here shot game with this load?

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Used several different bullets in my 260 Rem (a male version of the Creed) and my absolute favorite for dropping in their tracks and accuracy is the 140 Gameking. Always got pass throughs too.

Ironic, I was reading before i posted.

Called Sierra when I bought the Swede.
Ask about loads, and what thery thought about the 140 for deer.
I already had some and wanted to use that bullet.
"We strongly recommend the 120"

I ask about expansion.
"The 140 will expand, but you will get much better results from the 120 at those velocities"

Of course I didn't listen to the expert I ask for advice.

Had a rodeo on a doe.
Hit a buck and a doe I never found. (Not something that often happens)
A few other less than impressive kills.

Switched to the 140 BT.
One doe, not impressed. (Sample of one, by now not very patient)

Got a brilliant idea to try the 120 Sierra. blush

Quick kills. Pass through. Good trails if needed.

PS. I shoot ribs. Big bone hits, nerve centers, might yield different results.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 12/08/21.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very interesting Dillon. I don't think it was bad advice and get what he is saying but do think the 140 GK is still a good option for
a) heavier boned animals b) closer shots or c) f it shoots better.
I found consistently perfect pass throughs with the 140's and repeated drops. Even on larger pigs. Not believing my lying eyes over usual crowd here telling me the twist in my rifle was too slow for them I went with120 Pro Hunter's and been using them. Of course now it is mostly because I can't find the 140's or the powder I used for them. I run them slow because they are not bonded and my shots are normally inside 100- although I did put one through the brain pan of a big hog at about 400 ( not that I could pul lthat off every time). From what I have seen if you want to push them at all- go with the 140's. Isn't that rather the point of the Creedmoor? The ability to load a 140 w/o worrying about magazine length- which can be an issue for mine. I found if I pick a powder charge I can find accuracy by simply changing seating depths. Much prefer this method to multiple powder charges. You can always tweak the charge slightly up or down depending on the test group results.
The 120's usually exit, but one or two didn't . Those were close- say inside 70 yards.. The one time I used a 120 NBT it didn't exit either so- also a fairly close shot. .I had one Pro Hunter fragment on a mid sized hog- but did exit. Also close. Dropped him very fast.

This year I got an exit on a very large buck for these parts. (perfect heart shot). The off side had a fair amount of broken bone -so not just pencilling through. Jumped at the shot but that is about where I recovered him.

I do think there has to be something about energy dump. The Hornady's I used to use always had smallish exits and always had the deer running- usually about 70 yds.

Just goes to show ya huh?

Last edited by kenjs1; 12/09/21.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
had a Creedmoor for 3 years now. Only bullets we started with were Berger target 140s. The hunting ones expand more than we like. Worked fine. Never failed to penetrate totally. Even out past 600. And actually goes through pigs/javelina and coyotes out past 800.

Tried 127 ttsx because I think they are the best bullet going for most short range like 300 or less uses.

Even less meat damage. Deer don't run as far for some reason. Even with a shot I placed too far back on purpose due to angle of deer, deer didn't even go far enough to put Tiger on the trail, IE came 25 steps towards us and fell. From about a 180 yard shot.

its not a magic round. Its an accurate round. Fun to play with. Dang sure works great. Can't count the number of pigs shot with it already.

Of course I've said before. Bullet selection. Shot placement.

And while we are playing scenar in the Grendel on pigs, and jury looks good so far, have not in the creed.

Will never ever use the wildly varying results have received from game kings over the years. Maybe a tipped game king would be ok. We have had much more consistent results from match kings.

That said bergers work pretty good so far, ,all we have needed for out to 1100 yards. Barnes have not stretched much yet . But will continue to play with as we confirm the mid range firm zeros.

The loads we have shoot the 140 Berger and 127 barnes within an inch at 100 and I can't tell any difference out to 200 on animals.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are just so many variables that unless every review is a book
of facts, it's hard to judge based on someone's report.

The huge variables are how one hunts, where the place the bullets,
And their expectation of results.

So many speak smugly about bullet placement.
As if to infer they are Super Snipers and others can't shoot.
But shooting ribs is different than shoulders.
Some are able to head, spine shoot. I usually can't, or don't try.
Sometimes have to.

And results....
I expect to see at least half die. With rib shots.
Over 125 yards? Too far.
Under 75 is way preferable.

Those expectations alone can completely change everything.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There’s a long list of good bullets for the 6.5 calibers. But, since I’ve used Nosler BTs since the old Solid Base Boattail was phased out by Nosler, when I bought a 260 I stayed with BTs. I started with 120’s, switched to 100’s for a year or three and then went back to the 120’s. Killed a dozen or two deer with both bullets, and I really could not tell much difference in the end result. Using the 120’s this year on 3 deer. Longest shot was 260 yards. It’s a messy bullet, but really effective at most any range. I avoid quartering shots, and always get an exit on deer if I hit the heart lung area or high shoulder. No exits on hogs though.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The 143 grain ELD-X is very effective on deer from my experience .Have heard its good for elk as well but have no personal experience on that.

Last edited by Sharpshooter97; 12/10/21.
J
Jstocks Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
There are just so many variables that unless every review is a book
of facts, it's hard to judge based on someone's report.

The huge variables are how one hunts, where the place the bullets,
And their expectation of results.

So many speak smugly about bullet placement.
As if to infer they are Super Snipers and others can't shoot.
But shooting ribs is different than shoulders.
Some are able to head, spine shoot. I usually can't, or don't try.
Sometimes have to.

And results....
I expect to see at least half die. With rib shots.
Over 125 yards? Too far.
Under 75 is way preferable.

Those expectations alone can completely change everything.

Maybe I should have put in my initial post….

Most hunting situations I’ll be 150 yards and in. I’m in Alabama, and most shots are on food plots or in the woods, so unless I’m on a clear cut, I really have no where to stretch it out.

Secondly, I’m a rib shooter. I teach the kids to put it in the crease. Shoulder shots are accidental, but do happen. 270 and ‘06 usually anchors them on a shoulder shot, and I expect the 6.5 will also. I’m colorblind though, so 2 holes bleeding is always better than 1 hole bleeding just a bit.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Jstocks
[

Maybe I should have put in my initial post….

Most hunting situations I’ll be 150 yards and in. I’m in Alabama, and most shots are on food plots or in the woods, so unless I’m on a clear cut, I really have no where to stretch it out.

Secondly, I’m a rib shooter. I teach the kids to put it in the crease. Shoulder shots are accidental, but do happen. 270 and ‘06 usually anchors them on a shoulder shot, and I expect the 6.5 will also. I’m colorblind though, so 2 holes bleeding is always better than 1 hole bleeding just a bit.

The 129ABLR has worked for well for me in the same conditions you mention (and some a lot further). Some ribs, some shoulders. A GA and AL example:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Don't have a CM but rather a Swede. I've had excellent results with 130 NAB from 20 to 400 yards.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey, its a Creedmore! Load it with popcorn and it'll kill grizzly.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
166 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 15 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,908
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.