Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Teslong bore scope, otherwise, you are clueless in what your barrels need....become your own expert in your favorite chemicals.

Hint: Good Bronze bristle brushes are the key, use for about 50 strokes, then save them.

I have a huge shelf full of all the most popular chemicals, Teslong bore scope says the chemicals are WAY DOWN the list of most important thing to consider....Good bronze bristle brushes...throw them away often.

FREE ALL penetrating oil actually has a chemical in it that is made to penetrate hard baked on carbon....takes some soaking when it gets this bad.

Fine Bronze wool wrapped in a used brush that you saved after 50 rounds on is simply amazing, and the Hawkeye Bore scope and Teslong says that the fine Bronze wool does not scratch, Krieger, Brux, Lilja, Pac Nor, and Bartline barrels

. https://www.ebay.com/itm/234178545565

For those that would think that the Fine Bronze Wool would scratch their fine SS barrel, my Hawkeye Bore Scope with it's 25X magnification says different!

Teslong bore scopes are the best investment a rifleman can make for his guns. You soon see that a lot of the claims made by chemical sales are snake oil....humbling to say the least.

One thing to remember when reading where a guy likes this and that, what is that particular guys application. For instance, is he a guy that is a benchrest shooter that cleans after every 7-10 rounds or is he a guy that shoots Steel at PRS matches, P. dog shooter with high volume shooting. Various shooting disciplines requires vastly different cleaning methods.

Consider this, a benchrest shooter shoots approximately 10 shots with 28g of powder = 280g of powder fouling in between cleanings. Now take a F class shooter where he fires 60 rounds with an average of 45 g of powder = 2700g of powder fouling in the barrel. Now consider a p. dog shooter who shoots 450 rounds with 26g of powder = 11,700g of powder fouling All three of these examples require different attention to barrel carbon fouling.

Also, barrels are very different in how smooth, uniform, and wear characteristics, especially factory barrels.

I would urge everyone reading this post to buy a Teslong bore scope, I just got my brother a new one after he dropped his Lyman, and the new Teslong was $70 shipped.

https://teslong.com/collections/rifle-borescopes

Last edited by keith; 12/09/21.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wipe Out, Patch Out.......................................!!!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Mach3

Is there anything better than Hoppe's 9?

Probably most everything on the market today works better !!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite is Bore Tech Eliminator

This.

BT Eliminator is the best I've used. Gets out carbon and copper fouling and no smell.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use M-Pro7 bore solvent for general cleaning and carbon removal. It has no odor and is non-toxic. If there is significant copper fouling I use Montana Xtreme Copper Killer. The fumes of Copper Killer are pretty potent but it definitely works.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by keith
Teslong bore scope, otherwise, you are clueless in what your barrels need....become your own expert in your favorite chemicals.

Hint: Good Bronze bristle brushes are the key, use for about 50 strokes, then save them.

I have a huge shelf full of all the most popular chemicals, Teslong bore scope says the chemicals are WAY DOWN the list of most important thing to consider....Good bronze bristle brushes...throw them away often.

FREE ALL penetrating oil actually has a chemical in it that is made to penetrate hard baked on carbon....takes some soaking when it gets this bad.

Fine Bronze wool wrapped in a used brush that you saved after 50 rounds on is simply amazing, and the Hawkeye Bore scope and Teslong says that the fine Bronze wool does not scratch, Krieger, Brux, Lilja, Pac Nor, and Bartline barrels

For those that would think that the Fine Bronze Wool would scratch their fine SS barrel, my Hawkeye Bore Scope with it's 25X magnification says different!

Teslong bore scopes are the best investment a rifleman can make for his guns. You soon see that a lot of the claims made by chemical sales are snake oil....humbling to say the least.

One thing to remember when reading where a guy likes this and that, what is that particular guys application. For instance, is he a guy that is a benchrest shooter that cleans after every 7-10 rounds or is he a guy that shoots Steel at PRS matches, P. dog shooter with high volume shooting. Various shooting disciplines requires vastly different cleaning methods.

Consider this, a benchrest shooter shoots approximately 10 shots with 28g of powder = 280g of powder fouling in between cleanings. Now take a F class shooter where he fires 60 rounds with an average of 45 g of powder = 2700g of powder fouling in the barrel. Now consider a p. dog shooter who shoots 450 rounds with 26g of powder = 11,700g of powder fouling All three of these examples require different attention to barrel carbon fouling.

Also, barrels are very different in how smooth, uniform, and wear characteristics, especially factory barrels.

I would urge everyone reading this post to buy a Teslong bore scope, I just got my brother a new one after he dropped his Lyman, and the new Teslong was $70 shipped.

Thanks, I find this helpful. A few questions
A. You mentioned bronze wool on a "worn out bronze brush" And am I reading right that this is pretty much as good as a new bronze brush?
B. How do you keep the bronze wool on the brush? Just wrap it around? If so, will I need to watch for bronze particles in the barrel?
C. In your observation, is there a particular chemical cleaner that works well for general application? I am a hunter, no competition shooting for me. But I do shoot more than some hunters, probably 500-750 rounds a year in my 3 hunting rifles. I tend to clean after 60-80 shots, so maybe 4,000 g powder fouling in the barrel.

......the occasional hunter wielding a hopelessly inaccurate rifle, living by the fantastical rule that this cartridge can deliver the goods, regardless of shot placement or rifle accuracy. The correct term for this is minute of ego.
IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Shooter’s Choice for powder fouling…wet patches, ten or so strokes with a bronze brush, then a couple of dry patches. Maybe a couple more wet patches followed by some dry ones. Wipeout after that for the copper. Two or three applications depending on the rifle’s tendency to foul.

Last edited by navlav8r; 12/09/21.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
K
K22 Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
K
Tactical Advantage which is made by Wipe Out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Since copper equilibrium never gives me excess copper...never needs copper removal.

Properly sized lead bullets gives me no excess lead fouling.

Just about any bore cleaner will remove carbon fouling, but most likely to use Hoppes #9.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’m in the same camp as gunwriter Charlie Petty on the subject of the best this and that. Lots of stuff works and so I use what’s available to me at any given time.

Surprised no Ed’s Red acolytes have chimed in yet.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Jevyod

"Thanks, I find this helpful. A few questions
A. You mentioned bronze wool on a "worn out bronze brush" And am I reading right that this is pretty much as good as a new bronze brush?
B. How do you keep the bronze wool on the brush? Just wrap it around? If so, will I need to watch for bronze particles in the barrel?
C. In your observation, is there a particular chemical cleaner that works well for general application? I am a hunter, no competition shooting for me. But I do shoot more than some hunters, probably 500-750 rounds a year in my 3 hunting rifles. I tend to clean after 60-80 shots, so maybe 4,000 g powder fouling in the barrel."

Jevyod, the bronze bristle brush does most of the hard work on getting out the fouling, and they do their best work in the first 50 strokes of their life. After that, wind in some Fine Bronze wool in the brush. In heavily fouled barrels, I use the Montana Extreme copper cream and it is a miracle worker on hard carbon and of course the copper is the easiest to deal with.

Concerning bronze particles, this would be the same as broken brush bristles. When you are through brushing, push 4 wet patches through the bore, then 4 dry patches, and I use a punch type of jag resulting in no pieces of the wool or brush left in the bore.

I have all the cleaners mentioned in this thread. You can save some money by googling " Ed's Red" home made solvent, it is good. Some people are forced to clean in the house, so the smell of ammonia is a no no for them.

I clean in the garage, and I use the Montana Extreme Powder solvent, the Montana Extreme copper Killer, then go to the Montana Extreme Copper Cream for difficult applications. I prefer not to soak, as I like to clean the rifle and call it done. I have noticed that when shooting big magnums, pushing 4 wet patches of the Penetrating oil called Free All through the barrel prior to leaving the range seems to get the carbon to turn loose easier. I put a small zip lock bag over the muzzle and rubber band it on.

On my factory Remingtons, I clean every 30 or so rounds as I want exceptional accuracy of 3/8" or so, and some of the barrels are really a pig to deal with.

Accuracy expectations can vary from person to person and cleaning techniques often runs with personality types.

The inexpensive Teslong Bore scope is an incredible addition to gun care. Again, a lot of this talk of this or that favorite cleaner often is more important than stressing the use of very good bronze bristle brushes that you throw away often, or use the worn brushes with the Bronze wool wound in the brush.

Again, my favorite Barrel blank brands are Brux, Bartline, Krieger, Pac Nor, Lilja, and Hart. I shoot a lot of large hunting calibers and benchrest rifles also. Bronze wool does not scratch any of these very, very fine barrels. You can always depend on a Brux to have an absolute mirror finish in side where you could see the slightest scratch of any kind, especially in the leade angle and beginning of the throat The bronze wool will get mushed down in the brush, and you will have to add more on really carboned up barrels.

Good luck!

Last edited by keith; 12/09/21.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, bronze wool will not scratch the bore.

Most of the rest...funny stuff.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I’m in the camp as gunwriter Charlie Petty on the subject of the best this and that. Lots of stuff works and so I use what’s available to me at any given time.

Surprised no Ed’s Red acolytes have chimed in yet.

I agree with Petty, and would add that the best cleaner is actually you. Taking a few minutes to swab things out and wipe your firearm down using any old cleaner is the best.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Yeah, bronze wool will not scratch the bore.

Most of the rest...funny stuff.

Agree.

Last edited by Swifty52; 12/09/21.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by Mach3

Is there anything better than Hoppe's 9?

Probably most everything on the market today works better !!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite is Bore Tech Eliminator

Bore Tech is my favorite...........it works well on powder & copper fouling & has no real odor.

Sometimes if a gun is very dirty, I will use Shooters Choice or Butch's first to remove most of the powder fouling & finish with BTE.

Or if I don't want to finish & just let the gun sit, I may use Wipe Out or similar.

Sweets works about as good on copper as BTE when it's fresh, but it has a distinctive odor & IME / IMO, it has a shelf life when the ammonia breaks down making it much less effective over time.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NAGW, but I use mostly Montana Extreme Bore Solvent unless really fouled. If so I use Wipe Out overnight, then finish up with Montana Extreme solvent. Works for me!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Most of the bullets i shoot have pure copper jackets. Copper fouling is the norm. I use kg2 on a bore snake that is 3 or 4 sizes larger than the bore diameter:
375 caliberbore snake in 338 bore
45 caliber bore snake in a 416 bore

Its a tight fit and really runs the bore polish against the fouling.

Copper fouling is gone by 20 passes. No chemical bllsht, no overnight soaking.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1078729062

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 12/09/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scoony
I use Wipeout, but will follow up with a couple patches with Hoppe’s #9 before putting the rifle back in the safe. Come back a few days or weeks later and dry patch it. I seem to recall one of the barrel manufacturers recommending storing rifles with the hoppes in the bore.

I tried a lot mentioned here. But found the above works for me. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by LFC
Ezzox

You just disproved your "expertise," once again. You not only misspell Eezox, but apparently don't know it's not a bore cleaner.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have used all the "cleaners" (meaning bore cleaners, not lubes) mentioned so far, and have owned a Gradient Lens bore-scope for close to 20 years. Like Keith, I have found that without a bore-scope the effectiveness of various bore cleaners is only a guess.

A lot of it depends on how fast you want the barrel actually cleaned, along with whether the fouling is powder or copper. After using a BUNCH of solvents over the years, am also convinced that effectiveness varies with regional humidity.

The latest version of Hoppe's No. 9 is more effective than many believe. How well it would work for you is another question. I shoot enough that my preference is for faster working solvents.

One type of solvent I do NOT use anymore is water-based ammonia. These definitely can etch bores if left inside a bore even a little too long. This info has been around for at least a couple decades, but too many rifle shooters base their opinion of the effectiveness of solvents on whether they can see copper streaks inside the muzzle.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Many shooters, out of ignorance, over clean their firearms.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,810
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.