Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

That'll leave a mark.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avi...g-at-merrill-field-airport-in-anchorage/

Those C-130's are workhorses for sure. Bent propeller tips add a custom look.

[Linked Image from adn.com]

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's a DC-3 not a C130

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not too bad for a belly landing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
That's a DC-3 not a C130

whats a couple engines between friends? grin

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a DC-3 not a C130

Wonder what the relevance of power loss in one engine had to do with not lowering the landing gear?

I was left sitting in one of those DC-3s on the runway in Anchorage for two hours while a guy ran in and out of the plane and up and down one wing trying to figure out a issue they were having.

This was a little while back, Reeve Aleutian Airways was the operator.😉

Dickheads wouldn't let us get off the plane and the guy working on it didn't appear very competent, like just from his appearance I don't think I'd let him work on my lawn mower.

It was cold, they didn't have blankets, I asked to be let off and they refused.
We were on our way to St Paul Island for the Opilio season, it was early January.
Nothing like 800 miles of open water in a POS of a plane.

Eventually we took off, didn't get far, like 5 or 10 miles and the right engine locked up.

We circled back and landed safely. Next day Reeve Aleutian had Alaska airlines take us to St. Paul on one of their jets.

If ya never done it, landing on a gravel runway in a jet is a experience in itself. You'd swear you were doing a belly landing.
The gravel kicking up makes a ungodly noise.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Think I might have just found the problem with our plane..

Bob Reeve, owner of Reeve Aleutian Airways bought his first DC-3 for $20,000 with $3,000 down and the balance payable over 3 years. The cost of conversion to civilian standard was quoted at $50,000 but Reeve did the work himself at a cost of $5,000.

If we'd only had the internet in those days.........

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
This two pilots ain't gonna unpucker for weeks.

I too wondered about the landing gear.

Forgot?
Lost hydraulics?
Too busy chit 'n and a gitten?

Last edited by las; 12/09/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wheels up, wheels down, it can get confusing....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JeffA
Think I might have just found the problem with our plane..

Bob Reeve, owner of Reeve Aleutian Airways bought his first DC-3 for $20,000 with $3,000 down and the balance payable over 3 years. The cost of conversion to civilian standard was quoted at $50,000 but Reeve did the work himself at a cost of $5,000.

If we'd only had the internet in those days.........

50+ years ago Bob Reeve was my friend and my boss. I would often ask him who is the best pilot in Alaska.....??? He would always answer, his son-in-law.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
There were over 10,000 C-47 / DC-3 variants built and there are still over 300 of them in use. Not bad for an aircraft that first started flying over 80 years ago, although I see that this one is only 69 years old - a veritable youngster.

drover

Last edited by drover; 12/09/21.

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B3

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Sure was taking a lot of power to taxi 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Muffin

Seen a pilot waste a Magnum Beaver and his life due to that error one day.

Landing with your gear down in the water with amphibious floats seems to often end with a similar result.

https://planecrashmap.com/plane/ak/N4478/

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty sure he was losing altitude quickly at the end of it. Listening to the ATC recording it sounded like they wanted to return to Ted Stevens, but couldn't make it. They came in so low that they cleaned the tops of these trees off about 3 blocks from my work. I don't think they could have stretched out their flight any more than they did and pretty sure that dropping their gear would have put them down sooner.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some other videos with ATC.

Last edited by Ptarmigan; 12/09/21.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Muffin

Alice Rogoff flying?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Ptarmigan
Some other videos with ATC.

looks like he used "all" of the runway. Next stop Northway Mall.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
He probably was loaded to the gills and in a bad profile when he lost that engine and unable to maintain altitude, much less get any airspeed back. Emergency procedure for single engine calls for flaps and gear retracted because that's the only way to maintain altitude - and when making the kind of turns he needed to get back to a runway, he was right at stall speed - he probably didn't roll out of his turn until he was on short final, and wouldn't have had the time (and altitude) to extend the gear.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Offshoreman
He probably was loaded to the gills and in a bad profile when he lost that engine and unable to maintain altitude, much less get any airspeed back. Emergency procedure for single engine calls for flaps and gear retracted because that's the only way to maintain altitude - and when making the kind of turns he needed to get back to a runway, he was right at stall speed - he probably didn't roll out of his turn until he was on short final, and wouldn't have had the time (and altitude) to extend the gear.

Thanks for that info.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
We fuel those guys all the time including yesterday when that happened, Offshoreman is right they didn`t have time to lower the landing gear as they were losing airspeed too fast and would have stalled out . If you saw how old those planes were you`d never want to fly in one . I think them and desert air are the only ones using them still. Mike Reeve still fly`s but he`s running a Navaho. I got a good chuckle on the rogoff comment LOL

Last edited by aaron10; 12/10/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deerstalker
That's a DC-3 not a C130

whats a couple engines between friends? grin

A couple less engines is a C27. The Air ForCE cut and ran on the C27 in no time.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alenia_C-27J_Spartan

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,109 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,946
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.