Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CRS
I love my 6.5x55 in Husqvarna action with an unknown 1:9 twist. Worked very well with 129 Hornady.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I think after having married in to a Norwegian family with some Swedish mixed in, It should be called the 6.5x55 Scandihoovian, cool

BTW, I am of German, French and English descent but am 100% American.

Wow! Now that’s a buck! Awesome CRS

Semper Fi
GB1

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last year's buck. The right buck never showed when I was carrying the 6.5 this year.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by johnw
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A few comments on this overall thread,

The 6.5x55 is NOT "the Swedish Mauser" cartridge--or worse yet, "the Swede." It was co-developed by the Norwegian and Swedish militaries, when they belonged to the same "combined kingdom." (That said, by a Norwegian, it is also not the 6.5x55 Norwegian Krag.)

When Remington screwed up and introduced the .244 with a 1-12 twist, they did NOT "correct" it by reintroducing the cartridge as the 6mm with a 1-10 twist. Instead they used a 1-9 twist--and at the same time started making their .243 Winchesters with a 1-9 twist, so they didn't have to produce barrels with two different twists.

The standard .270 Winchester 1-10 twist will handily stabilize spitzers in the 170-grain range at elevations 4000 feet above sea level--and probably somewhat lower. I know this because I've done it.

C'mon MD... Really???
Gonna insist next that the Swedish Bikini Team isn't Swedish?
laugh

Now, now....

Beretzs, in a masterful stoke of international diplomacy, has just solved this thorny issue.

The previously mislabeled "Swede" in now to be called the 6.5 SCAN....

He could well get the Nobel Peace Prize for this stroke of diplomatic genius....

cool

DF

Too late, it’s already been done. That’s the label Hornady has been using on their 6.5x55 die boxes for quite a while now. 6.5x55 SCAN.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hey Mule Deer, should the 6.5x55 bear any geographic qualifier at all? Seems the bullet, brass and die makers have chosen their individual favorite nomenclature based on propaganda.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't have access to the ammo or my manuals at present, but I seem to remember that the 6.5 Swede case head was a different diameter than most brass based on a -30-06 case.. I think it was smaller as I could not make 6.5 brass from a 30-06 case. It has been a long time ago so it might have been the opposite.

However, my question is: are new rifles chambered for the 6.5 x 57 the same case head as the 30-06 head diameter or are they the same as the original 6.5 Swede ? I can check both diameters tomorrow. I have some Norma 6.5 brass that I bought back in the 80's when I first got the rifle. I will also check the nomenclature on the Norma box and the case head.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/09/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The 6.5X57 is the same .473 as the 30-06. The 6.5X55 as originally setup is .480. European brass will be the .480 rim, American and some others will be .473 rim diameter.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by smithrjd
The 6.5X57 is the same .473 as the 30-06. The 6.5X55 as originally setup is .480. European brass will be the .480 rim, American and some others will be .473 rim diameter.

Thanks

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I wanna see some flick knives and more attitude!

Lars, my rifle, does not like to be called a 6.5x55mm. He abhors the other names - 6.5x55mm SE or SKAN. He prefers to be known as 6.5 Lars, the Impaler.

His cousin in Germany likes to be called a 6.5x55 UNIMOG. I got a red deer with one. This one was built in 1948 and is now surplus. Despite its age, the Unimog is very potent 6.5.

Oh wait. I was wrong. It is a 7.7 (303).

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smithrjd

Mr Smith Beat me to it... I shot both rounds... I neck down and trim 06 Nickle cases to make 6.5 x 57 brass....

I have a 6.5 x 55 on a Win 70 Featherweight, with a Pac Nor barrel.... the action is a Win push feed...

Winchester brass in the 6.5 x 55 is the European specs, and case head.

Remington 6.5 x 55 brass has a .473 case head.. so in that rifle, I always use Remington Brass....

Winchester brass doesn't always eject correctly.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by shootem
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

The 6.5x55 is NOT "the Swedish Mauser" cartridge--or worse yet, "the Swede." It was co-developed by the Norwegian and Swedish militaries, when they belonged to the same "combined kingdom." (That said, by a Norwegian, it is also not the 6.5x55 Norwegian Krag.)

When Remington screwed up and introduced the .244 with a 1-12 twist, they did NOT "correct" it by reintroducing the cartridge as the 6mm with a 1-10 twist. Instead they used a 1-9 twist--and at the same time started making their .243 Winchesters with a 1-9 twist, so they didn't have to produce barrels with two different twists.

The standard .270 Winchester 1-10 twist will handily stabilize spitzers in the 170-grain range at elevations 4000 feet above sea level--and probably somewhat lower. I know this because I've done it.

C'mon MD... Really???
laugh

Now, now....

Beretzs, in a masterful stoke of international diplomacy, has just solved this thorny issue.

The previously mislabeled "Swede" in now to be called the 6.5 SCAN....

He could well get the Nobel Peace Prize for this stroke of diplomatic genius....

cool

DF

Too late, it’s already been done. That’s the label Hornady has been using on their 6.5x55 die boxes for quite a while now. 6.5x55 SCAN.

Aww….

And I was about to nominate him for the Nobel.

DF

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

C'mon MD... Really???
laugh

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

"Chances Will Be Taken"

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
A fun article by Philip Massaro about what your favorite rifle cartridge says about you.

Be forewarned - he may have inadvertently mentioned "Swede" in there so have your blood pressure medicine nearby ....

What Your Favorite Rifle Cartridge Says About You

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Puddle
A fun article by Philip Massaro about what your favorite rifle cartridge says about you.

Be forewarned - he may have inadvertently mentioned "Swede" in there so have your blood pressure medicine nearby ....

Holy crap. Those were pretty damned funny!

Semper Fi
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Fun article,

But, what if you have them all, your fav being the one you're holding at the moment....?

DF

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here are some photos of ammo boxes of Norma commercial ammo and unprimed brass, etc., purchased in the mid 80's. Notice it is marked 6.5 Norma

The commercial ammo head stamp is Norma Re and the unprimed brass has only Norma, both 6.5x55. The rim diameter is .477 measured on a 4 place micrometer

This is some of the original military ammo which I assume is a 175 gr bullet. Rim diameter on these are .477

Here is my $69, 6.5 Swede. Original barrel, cut and recrowned at the 1st step. Richards stock. Turned down and reshaped bolt, Buheler Safety, Timmney trigger, and cocking conversion, 6X fixed Leupold scope.It shoots the Sierra GK 140 gr with 46 gr of H4831 very well, but does even better with the Nosler 129 gr AB and 47gr of H4831

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/10/21.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Cool pictures Saddlesore.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

And what would the author have to say about the 6.5 CM? I guess the article implies that in 2015 there weren't the numbers of 6.5 CM as there are now.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool

And what would the author have to say about the 6.5 CM? I guess the article implies that in 2015 there weren't the numbers of 6.5 CM as there are now.

May not be too bad.

After all, he didn't mention "gay" when describing the typical .270 owner or the round.

I guess he isn't a Fire contributor, or he'd have known better..... wink

DF

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by saddlesore

This is some of the original military ammo which I assume is a 175 gr bullet. Rim diameter on these are .477

Not military, just older cupro-nickel (or even possibly mild steel- check with a magnet) jacketed soft point hunting ammo. Undoubtedly 156 or 160 grain bullets. The original military load was invariably a long 156 grain RN FMJ bullet shaped such as these. Sweden downsized their FMJ military bullet to a 139 grain spitzer sometime soon before WWII, dunno what Norway did in that regard.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Not military, just older cupro-nickel (or even possibly mild steel- check with a magnet) jacketed soft point hunting ammo. Undoubtedly 156 or 160 grain bullets. The original military load was invariably a long 156 grain RN FMJ bullet shaped such as these. Sweden downsized their FMJ military bullet to a 139 grain spitzer sometime soon before WWII, dunno what Norway did in that regard.

Figured it was military as there is no cartridge designation like 6.5 x 55.I have 6-8 of these.Not magnetic ( checked) None have Mfgr stamped, just some numbers and letters Too tarnished to get a good photo

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 56 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.