Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Originally Posted by Starbuck
Originally Posted by LFC
Some strong statemants about peoples faith in Leupold scopes.

I don't thing you'll ever see that same confidence level with Asian made Junk scope.

I believe the true consensus is Asian scopes are Junks.....

You really don't get out much, do you?

What a comment from a Campfire correspondent. Your vast knowledge and experience is duly noted and ignored.

?

BP-B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

You Asian Junk guys need an attitude adjustment...

Buy a Schmidt and Bender scope maybe you won't be mAd at the world.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by LFC
Swarovski scopes are sure not for dummies

You Asian guys need to buy a Schmidt and Bender scope to cheer yourself up.

Words from the idiot

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ps..

You dummy I edited my post

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by LFC
Ps..

You dummy I edited my post

Did you edit the stupid out

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Originally Posted by jwp475

You're an idiot

Only 5 pages of you calling people idiots. Slacker.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Proves he's an idOit....

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by Cluggins
Originally Posted by jwp475

You're an idiot

Only 5 pages of you calling people idiots. Slacker.

Proves he's an idOit....

Proves not many idiots here, but you lead the pack. Congratulations

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
"Slacker idOits" should stick to using Asian scopes

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by stringnut
The current consensus is that Leupold is not what they used to be and haven’t been for several years. So my question is what is a good alternative? I am not a long ranges knob twister in any way . All I need is good optics, reliability, decent adjustments without breaking the bank. 2-7, or 3-9, do anything I want. Will spend 500 to 600 bucks for a scope. Not going to put out thousands of dollars for something I don’t need. The wife is really screwed as she was a Nikon freak. One of her old scopes needed repair and she got a voucher toward binoculars. Harder than hell to mount and impossible to sight in.

Don't believe all that you hear. "L" makes excellent scopes but like any manufacturer, they can let a bad one slip through. Personally, my experience with them has been very good. Bought my first two in 1976 and they are still on the same rifles. Have bought about 6 others since then and none have had issues. But, I need to state that I was raised and trained that you need to take care of the Arm that will take care of you. I am an FFL now and see the two year old quality guns that folks want to trade in and they absolutely trashed....like rolling around in the bottom of a duck boat trashed. It makes my skin crawl when I see this and I consider it a total lack of respect. These people will have issues with whatever gun or scope that they own. Just my .02 from an old jaded Norwegian in Northern Minnesota.

RAVENS & WOLVES
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Out of curiosity, does "Asian scopes" only pertain to scopes that are manufactured and shipped from Asia or does that also include the parts that are made in Asia and shipped to the US for final assembly?

Many would be surprised as to the % of Asian parts comprised in scopes listed as "Made in America".

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Out of curiosity, does "Asian scopes" only pertain to scopes that are manufactured and shipped from Asia or does that also include the parts that are made in Asia and shipped to the US for final assembly?

Many would be surprised as to the % of Asian parts comprised in scopes listed as "Made in America".

Ha! Or the amount of foreign parts in their F150.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was at the range the other day. I had a VX-3 3x9 on a rifle and I had a 12x binoculars that I’m fond of. The VX-3 showed bullets holes in the target clearly, with the binoculars I had to carefully adjust them to see the 22 caliber holes.
I’ve had good results mostly with returning Leupolds for repair. I also had one that I’m pretty sure needs repair and they said it was fine.
Repairing scopes for free is one thing, but having a scope fail while out hunting is quite upsetting. I don’t recall a Leupold fail while hinting. But I shoot many more times at targets and practice off-hand than I do hunting. I’m getting long in the tooth and my worry that a scope might fail concerns me especially since I don’t know if this will be my last hunt.
So I’ve been buying up scopes that have a reputation for being tough.
I have had scopes fail while hunting - I don’t recall the manufacturer - and I’ve had scopes fail at the range.
If I’m hunting more than a few miles from home I’ll take two rifles. My hinting buddies know that if they have problems with their rifles/scopes etc that I have spare.
I also have a quick release rings bases on a couple rifles with a spare scope.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Bugger
I was at the range the other day. I had a VX-3 3x9 on a rifle and I had a 12x binoculars that I’m fond of. The VX-3 showed bullets holes in the target clearly, with the binoculars I had to carefully adjust them to see the 22 caliber holes.
I’ve had good results mostly with returning Leupolds for repair. I also had one that I’m pretty sure needs repair and they said it was fine.
Repairing scopes for free is one thing, but having a scope fail while out hunting is quite upsetting. I don’t recall a Leupold fail while hinting. But I shoot many more times at targets and practice off-hand than I do hunting. I’m getting long in the tooth and my worry that a scope might fail concerns me especially since I don’t know if this will be my last hunt.
So I’ve been buying up scopes that have a reputation for being tough.
I have had scopes fail while hunting - I don’t recall the manufacturer - and I’ve had scopes fail at the range.
If I’m hunting more than a few miles from home I’ll take two rifles. My hinting buddies know that if they have problems with their rifles/scopes etc that I have spare.
I also have a quick release rings bases on a couple rifles with a spare scope.

?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't be labeling all Asian as junk. Even in the 40 year old past, some Japanese were much better than any Leupold of that vintage.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I wouldn't be labeling all Asian as junk. Even in the 40 year old past, some Japanese were much better than any Leupold of that vintage.

Yeah, "Asian" includes Japan and Light Optical Works (LOW). They make some of the finest scopes available, including Nightforce, high end tactical Bushnell's, and others.

From what I've read, there aren't many makers of high end optical glass. Even "American made" scopes use glass from the "Pacific Rim"... And "Pacific Rim" could include the Chicoms.... blush

Don't ask, don't tell... wink

DF

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I still use two older 2.5-8’s. They do ok; one in particular. They’ve got aftermarket elevation turrets and are on “fun” guns, like my .223AI. They clearly and obviously outperformed the several newer 2.5-8’s I owned which have moved on to other shooters.

I don’t really understand WHY Leup has had a tough time getting with the program. I hypothesize that it’s somewhat akin to the US automakers in the 70’s; there’s just an arrogance there that they don’t need to compete at a high level because of who they are. That attitude set the US car industry back 20+ years and created an opening you could, well, drive a car through for the Japanese. I remember my first Japanese car, a ‘79 Accord. I traded my ‘79 Chevy Scottsdale pickup for it. That truck had it all: the 305 V8 was an absolute dog, but STILL got terrible mileage, when you put it up on a lift (I worked at a gas station all through high school and we were always messing with our trucks) you’d see the giant oversize holes in the frame/body mounts so that they could get things to more or less line up... the engine had a lifter tick at under 40k miles, which I cured by drizzling ATF into the carb with the motor running... the interior plastics were soft and the NM sun ate them up... various knobs and switches would work, not work, whatever.... then I got that Honda and..... you just changed the oil in it and it went and went and went and everything worked. “Huh”!

It’s frustrating because I work in the field of mechanical manufacturing and to a lesser degree (mostly my own fixturing and tooling), design... everything that is “wrong” with Leup could’ve been addressed decades ago with some reverse engineering, R&D effort, and stepping up their QC. This ain’t rocket science; it’s just EFFORT and being willing to admit you have a problem. The same things the US automakers did to compete... you want to beat Toyota, you first gotta BE Toyota.

I happily take my money elsewhere. If you believe in the power of free markets, which I do, the possibility of failure must exist and further, must manifest as consumer behavior, to change the behavior of the manufactures. I’m doing my part by rewarding excellence when I find it, and punishing complacency and arrogance. In a very real sense, it’s patriotic. Short of just closing our borders to imports, or imposing more punitive and ineffective tariffs, it’s compete-or-die on a global level. I want to believe America and Americans can compete. But blindly “buying American” won’t do that; in fact it can do just the opposite; it can function as enabling.

That's a hell of a lot of typing without including any pertinent information, except maybe about cars and your work history. "Newer" and "older" tell us nothing. Newer than what, or older than what? Ideally you would include the model of the scopes,Vari-X, VX-III. VX-3 etc.

He's the same IDIOT that pontificated Barnes bullets are no good because they over penetrate, had issues with opening Nosler boxes and did I mention he voted for Obama (twice) Hillary and Biden? He's also a lying, sackoshit doper...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by Moto_Vita
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I still use two older 2.5-8’s. They do ok; one in particular. They’ve got aftermarket elevation turrets and are on “fun” guns, like my .223AI. They clearly and obviously outperformed the several newer 2.5-8’s I owned which have moved on to other shooters.

I don’t really understand WHY Leup has had a tough time getting with the program. I hypothesize that it’s somewhat akin to the US automakers in the 70’s; there’s just an arrogance there that they don’t need to compete at a high level because of who they are. That attitude set the US car industry back 20+ years and created an opening you could, well, drive a car through for the Japanese. I remember my first Japanese car, a ‘79 Accord. I traded my ‘79 Chevy Scottsdale pickup for it. That truck had it all: the 305 V8 was an absolute dog, but STILL got terrible mileage, when you put it up on a lift (I worked at a gas station all through high school and we were always messing with our trucks) you’d see the giant oversize holes in the frame/body mounts so that they could get things to more or less line up... the engine had a lifter tick at under 40k miles, which I cured by drizzling ATF into the carb with the motor running... the interior plastics were soft and the NM sun ate them up... various knobs and switches would work, not work, whatever.... then I got that Honda and..... you just changed the oil in it and it went and went and went and everything worked. “Huh”!

It’s frustrating because I work in the field of mechanical manufacturing and to a lesser degree (mostly my own fixturing and tooling), design... everything that is “wrong” with Leup could’ve been addressed decades ago with some reverse engineering, R&D effort, and stepping up their QC. This ain’t rocket science; it’s just EFFORT and being willing to admit you have a problem. The same things the US automakers did to compete... you want to beat Toyota, you first gotta BE Toyota.

I happily take my money elsewhere. If you believe in the power of free markets, which I do, the possibility of failure must exist and further, must manifest as consumer behavior, to change the behavior of the manufactures. I’m doing my part by rewarding excellence when I find it, and punishing complacency and arrogance. In a very real sense, it’s patriotic. Short of just closing our borders to imports, or imposing more punitive and ineffective tariffs, it’s compete-or-die on a global level. I want to believe America and Americans can compete. But blindly “buying American” won’t do that; in fact it can do just the opposite; it can function as enabling.

That's a hell of a lot of typing without including any pertinent information, except maybe about cars and your work history. "Newer" and "older" tell us nothing. Newer than what, or older than what? Ideally you would include the model of the scopes,Vari-X, VX-III. VX-3 etc.

He's the same IDIOT that pontificated Barnes bullets are no good because they over penetrate, had issues with opening Nosler boxes and did I mention he voted for Obama (twice) Hillary and Biden? He's also a lying, sackoshit doper...

And his 5 acre plot of land is so thick one could get lost in there! lol

Good times!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I can only talk about my experience with Leopold scopes. I am 75 years old and have been hunting and shooting along time. I was raised on a cattle ranch in Colorado and have hunted and shot there, as well as Wy., Fl., Az., and here in Oregon.
I have had a few rifles over the years, but now only have 6 with scopes on them. They are all Leopold. I guess I am brand loyal. 😁
Not as experienced as most here, but I have never had a problem with a Leupold scope. Granted I am not a turret twister and just set the scope where it needed to be and went hunting. Next year would check zero’s and maybe move it a little and be ok.
The only scope that had to have it’s elevation turret moved a lot was 3x9 rimfire scope on my hunter class silhouette rifle. Scope didn’t come with turrets, so I put a Stony Creek knob ( remember them? ) on it. Worked fine, not one problem. In this game you move your turret often and it has to be repeatable. Shot that game for about 10years then took it off and now it’s just my small game rifle. Never a problem.

Maybe I’m just lucky, or maybe like all mechanical things sometimes they break. Just not as often as the internet says they do. 😎

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice gun....is that a Yonkers Kimber ?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, LFC. Yes it is.
Have had a Oregon Kimber and this one is more accurate and that’s saying something because my old Kimber was very accurate. Here it is out hunting squirrels. It’s my favorite .22 have had it 20years, Leopold scope still works too. 😎

Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
296 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 28 invisible), 2,011 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.