Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Should be some of those knives I made with S35VN getting some use this fall.

How they working out for you and how is the edge retention?

Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have used the snot out of the two paring knives Tim made for me out of that S35VN steel. I have yet to touch up the edges. I used the larger one to disjoint four large turkeys this past Tuesday. It cuts like a razor blade.

Sam......

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
This one worked just fine once more.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

My favorite as of this post.

Stinky SOB ( slab of bacon)

Should make a decent "European"

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Very cool!

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That Blaser Mannlicher is sick GDub...

Nice blade as well!

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I used one of Tim's knifes on a Ontario Moose and I have to say it did really well, As it arrived it was SHARP! and held up reasonably well through a Moose. The other fellow with me had an OE swing blade and Tim's knife was still sharp after skinning, the knee joints and quartering, my buds Swing Blade was nearly useless by the end.

I don't have a lot of customs but compared to the by other factory knives I own it really holds an edge.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've only used it on one buck so far. I like it...a lot. About to get to prime time at home and next month will be prime time at the club....and I need to take a few does. I may try to put together a kydex sheath for it and use it the rest of the season (through February). Hopefully I can say more about edge retention then.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I've only used it on one buck so far. I like it...a lot. About to get to prime time at home and next month will be prime time at the club....and I need to take a few does. I may try to put together a kydex sheath for it and use it the rest of the season (through February). Hopefully I can say more about edge retention then.

[Linked Image]

What model is that?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Kaleb

[Linked Image]

What model is that?

Also would like to know. That’s nice.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
That is a #6 Michigan Slim with the nose modified to slight drop point per
customer request.
Thanks
Tim

Albert Einstein

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I also like the looks of that blade, what are the handles made of nice looking knife!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I believe it's gray/black G10. It's a really nice little knife. Blade is ~3" long, ~.75" from top to bottom so it's slim. Slight drop point to help with control.

It can't be seen in the pics but I like the way Mr. Olt rounded the grips. The grip ends up still being slim but with enough purchase and length be comfortable, no sharp edges. I'm a "finger holder" when using rather than a "handle in the palm holder" so a big hand filling grip with many grooves isn't a good fit for the way I cut. This one is nice and neutral so it's as comfortable to hold inverted as it is right side up.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Mr. Olt's modified Slim has run through a couple more deer. I really can't tell that it's lost any edge so far, but I'm not doing any paper testing, just processing. I try to stay off of bone, cartilage, and hair as I would with any knife. Hopefully it'll go through a couple more before mid-February.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Mr. Olt's modified Slim has run through a couple more deer. I really can't tell that it's lost any edge so far, but I'm not doing any paper testing, just processing. I try to stay off of bone, cartilage, and hair as I would with any knife. Hopefully it'll go through a couple more before mid-February.

I like that knife a lot!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My Michigan slim has done two deer and a few fish. Sorry, don't have pics, but it's a great knife. No attempt to put on a new edge, cause it hasn't reached that point yet.

It's a bit tiny for trim work, prefer a longer oal, but I didn't buy it for that.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I bought a Loveless style knife with s35vn from Tim last Fall and finally got to use it the other night on a cow elk. Truly one of the best knives that I have ever used. Went through the elk with ease and still very sharp. The Loveless style fits my hands perfectly and made gutting and skinning an easy task. I may have to buy another.

Daryl

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
And thank you Daryl for the order.
Glad to hear of another knife earning its keep,

Thanks to the rest of you commenting also.
Tim

Albert Einstein

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I'm not sure if the O.P. is asking about S35VN in general, or his knives specifically, but..

I bought a Buck 103 ("Skinner") in that material last year and used it for the first time this past December on 3 smaller whitetail bucks back to back to back. Meaning that I field dressed them, skinned them, removed the backstraps & tenderloins, took off 12 legs at the knees, took off the heads, separated the shoulders and finally the hams from the rest of the carcasses. Didn't intentionally cut any bone, but I'm sure I hit one once in a while. Still pretty sharp by the end, but really could have used a touch up. (I gave it a full sharpening after I got back home.)

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Should be some of those knives I made with S35VN getting some use this fall.

How they working out for you and how is the edge retention?

Tim

Originally Posted by bhemry
I'm not sure if the O.P. is asking about S35VN in general, or his knives specifically, but..

I'm pretty sure he's asking about the knives he made per his original post. I don't have any of his S35VN knives, but I do have several of his knives in CPM154, S30V and M4. None disappoint. Edge geometry and edge retention has always been impressive to me.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Still testing...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
753 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 86 invisible), 2,827 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.