-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
It's amazing how a simple question can extract so much stupidity from a broad range of know-nothings.

Patton was literally a savant when it came to strategy and tactics at that time in history. His ability to adapt to the modern age of warfare (especially in a time when it was evolving so rapidly) was almost God like. Combine this with a true warrior's spirit and a DEEP understanding of human tendencies and you end up with a leader that simply had no peer.

His decisions were not based solely on theory either. They were DEEPLY rooted in world history. His knowledge of previous events in all regions is what gave him the confidence to make decisions as quickly as he did. The idea that he "inspired" his troops is rather absurd. He drove men harder than most any flag officer would even dream of and this hardly endeared him to his men at the time. Much like a dead artist, his work was only appreciated by those under him after his passing and after their making it out alive.

I do get a kick out of somebody saying he "had a large ego." Show me ANY man that achieved what he achieved and claim he didn't have an ego. I'll happily call you on being FOS and slap you in your mouth.

General Patton had NO PEER in his lifetime. None. Even his enemies recognized and advised against squaring off with anything under his command.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Not a MAC fan, but he was ORDERED (we follow those whilst in uniform) to leave the PI.

Yes, and if there's one thing that can be said about MacArthur, he was always scrupulously solicitous of Presidential orders.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
It's amazing how a simple question can extract so much stupidity from a broad range of know-nothings.

Patton was literally a savant when it came to strategy and tactics at that time in history. His ability to adapt to the modern age of warfare (especially in a time when it was evolving so rapidly) was almost God like. Combine this with a true warrior's spirit and a DEEP understanding of human tendencies and you end up with a leader that simply had no peer.

His decisions were not based solely on theory either. They were DEEPLY rooted in world history. His knowledge of previous events in all regions is what gave him the confidence to make decisions as quickly as he did. The idea that he "inspired" his troops is rather absurd. He drove men harder than most any flag officer would even dream of and this hardly endeared him to his men at the time. Much like a dead artist, his work was only appreciated by those under him after his passing and after their making it out alive.

I do get a kick out of somebody saying he "had a large ego." Show me ANY man that achieved what he achieved and claim he didn't have an ego. I'll happily call you on being FOS and slap you in your mouth.

General Patton had NO PEER in his lifetime. None. Even his enemies recognized and advised against squaring off with anything under his command.

Agree with everything in your post EXCEPT the "HE HAD NO PEER" statement. I can think of at least ten General Officers (all German) that given the logistic limitations they had were not only his equal, but in my opinion superior/

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not a fan of Dugout Doug here.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Patton, or MacArthur?

For WWII....Patton. And he was right about Russia, but he respected the chain of command too much to buck it. A shame he met an artificial and untimely end by the powers that be....

For the Korean War...MacArthur. He was right about China - we should have drove straight through to Beijing. It would have eliminated 2 major current problems being dealt with today.

MacArthur is rightfully respected in military history circles...but if he'd shown the same chutzpah in WWII that he showed in the Korean War...the Iron Curtain may never have been a thing in Eastern Europe....

Just sayin'....

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Patton! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Originally Posted by Hastings
Maybe he was dishonest, but I don't believe it. I do admire his decision to give McArthur the boot.

He booted McArthur because McArthur was being too effective against the Chinese Communists, who Truman wanted to ensure retained a grip on the Korean peninsula. How was that admirable? Millions of people live in literal slavery to this day because of Truman's communist sympathies.

The US public certainly didn't think it was admirable after McArthur's congressional testimony.

Interesting idea that McArthur was too hard on the communists. Reality is his plans got kicked in the butt by the Chinese Communists when they entered the war in Korea. McArthur told everyone the Chinese would not enter North Korea, he was very wrong.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Agree with everything in your post EXCEPT the "HE HAD NO PEER" statement. I can think of at least ten General Officers (all German) that given the logistic limitations they had were not only his equal, but in my opinion superior/

Guderian.

Maybe.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by TXLoader
Patton, or MacArthur?

For WWII....Patton. And he was right about Russia, but he respected the chain of command too much to buck it. A shame he met an artificial and untimely end by the powers that be....

For the Korean War...MacArthur. He was right about China - we should have drove straight through to Beijing. It would have eliminated 2 major current problems being dealt with today.

MacArthur is rightfully respected in military history circles...but if he'd shown the same chutzpah in WWII that he showed in the Korean War...the Iron Curtain may never have been a thing in Eastern Europe....

Just sayin'....

Oh for fugk sake.

Patton was right about everything. And vocalized it like nobody else.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Patton, or MacArthur?

Just sayin'....

Oh for fugk sake.

Yes, he was. And Patton paid for it, too. If it weren't for the "untimely car accident" and the "unforeseen heart problems", Patton would've been kicking ass in Korea, and he would NOT of stopped at the Yaloo...

Instead, MacArthur was the most experienced when Korea came around. He was right about the Chinese coming across to aid North Korea. He was dead set about going across the river to beat the Chinese there, and that's what got him relieved of command.

If memory serves me right...the Chinese came across the river just after MacArthur was relieved, taking advantage of the change in leadership chaos to beat our forces back down the peninsula. When we got our legs back underneath us, we again beat the Communist forces back up the peninsula - Chinese and NorK combined this time. When we crossed the DMZ, the Chinese FORCED the NorK's to sign the cease-fire, to prevent our forces from taking it all the way to Beijing.

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Agree 💯 his men may not have liked him but they sure as hell respected him

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Patton, or MacArthur?

Just sayin'....

Oh for fugk sake.

Yes, he was. And Patton paid for it, too. If it weren't for the "untimely car accident" and the "unforeseen heart problems", Patton would've been kicking ass in Korea, and he would NOT of stopped at the Yaloo...

Instead, MacArthur was the most experienced when Korea came around. He was right about the Chinese coming across to aid North Korea. He was dead set about going across the river to beat the Chinese there, and that's what got him relieved of command.

If memory serves me right...the Chinese came across the river just after MacArthur was relieved, taking advantage of the change in leadership chaos to beat our forces back down the peninsula. When we got our legs back underneath us, we again beat the Communist forces back up the peninsula - Chinese and NorK combined this time. When we crossed the DMZ, the Chinese FORCED the NorK's to sign the cease-fire, to prevent our forces from taking it all the way to Beijing.

You aren't even close. MacArthur was insubordination and was getting his ass handed to him by the Chinese. General Ridgeway took over and turned defeat into victory of thr objectives asigned. Ridgeway's turn around in Korea was the greatest feats of military leadership of all time

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Patton, or MacArthur?

Just sayin'....

Oh for fugk sake.

Man, you need to read a bit of history, McArthur was totally wrong about the Chinese willingness to cross the Yalu and enter the war.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by shaman

The problem was resupply. The Americans kept begging for ammunition, food, etc. Every day for months, they expected an American landing or American bombing raids. It was a very purposeful decision by Roosevelt not to defend the PI and to let it fall. The crazy thing is that the Americans and Fillipinos were able to keep the upper hand for a long time. The Japs had underestimated our forces and our resolve and threw raw recruits at us with substandard arms and minimal logistical support.
How were we supposed to resupply the Philippines? Half our battle fleet was at the bottom of Pearl Harbor.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Your memory is wrong. MacArthur was in charge when the Chinese entered the war. He didn't think they would so he wanted to keep pushing right up to the border. That's what lead to the retreat from the Chosin Reservoir.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
I have never been able to understand why Macarthur didn't have the defense alerted for the attack on the Philippines.

Actually, they did have aircraft in the air as soon as they heard about Pearl Harbor, but those planes had to land eventually, to refuel and for the pilots to get a little rest. The Japanese were delayed in Formosa by fog on the runways, or they'd have been met by every P-40 in the Philippines. As it was, the delay from the fog on the runway made the Japanese a bit late, as in, they got to Clark Field just after the US planes landed to refuel. Fog in Formosa pretty much got the USAAF wiped out. Once the US airpower was gone, there wasn't much left to defend the Philippines except PT boats and submarines, neither of which had very good functional torpedoes.

That said, I'd pick Patton in a heartbeat.

Last edited by ratsmacker; 12/10/21.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

His decisions were not based solely on theory either. They were DEEPLY rooted in world history. His "first-hand" knowledge of previous events in all regions is what gave him the confidence to make decisions as quickly as he did. The idea that he "inspired" his troops is rather absurd. He drove men harder than most any flag officer would even dream of and this hardly endeared him to his men at the time. Much like a dead artist, his work was only appreciated by those under him after his passing and after their making it out alive.

Insertion for accuracy.

Last edited by 5sdad; 12/10/21.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
I have never been able to understand why Macarthur didn't have the defense alerted for the attack on the Philippines.

Actually, they did have aircraft in the air as soon as they heard about Pearl Harbor, but those planes had to land eventually, to refuel and for the pilots to get a little rest. The Japanese were delayed in Formosa by fog on the runways, or they'd have been met by every P-40 in the Philippines. As it was, the delay from the fog on the runway made the Japanese a bit late, as in, they got to Clark Field just after the US planes landed to refuel. Fog in Formosa pretty much got the USAAF wiped out. Once the US airpower was gone, there wasn't much left to defend the Philippines except PT boats and submarines, neither of which had very good functional torpedoes.

That said, I'd pick Patton in a heartbeat.
Hadn't they ever heard of dispersal?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by 5sdad

His decisions were not based solely on theory either. They were DEEPLY rooted in world history. His "first-hand" knowledge of previous events in all regions is what gave him the confidence to make decisions as quickly as he did. The idea that he "inspired" his troops is rather absurd. He drove men harder than most any flag officer would even dream of and this hardly endeared him to his men at the time. Much like a dead artist, his work was only appreciated by those under him after his passing and after their making it out alive.

Insertion for accuracy.

No. That is not accurate.

Patton studied combat his entire life. Even as a child.

While his belief that he lived multiple lives as a warrior are widely touted, many folks suspected that he only said these things to add to his eccentric behavior. It made certain personalities uneasy and he liked that. It was all part of his leadership style.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Read Victor Davis Hanson's "Patton: American Ajax" he truly was a unique General. There were plenty of people that disliked him, especially the other generals he ran circles around.
I will say that Germany had some very good high Command Generals. Trouble is they were being overruled by a corporal.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (30Gibbs, 10gaugemag, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 33 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,633
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.