Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jimmy3
DBC……?

Dyna Bore Coat.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use Hoppes 9 for the powder and Sweets for the copper. I set a 15 minute alarm on the oven and never leave the Sweets in longer than that. I work a nylon brush through the bore with several applications of Sweets getting it nice and frothy, leave for 15 mins then 12-15 passes with the nylon brush and patch out, then two patches of Hoppes again to remove all traces of Sweets, patch out and a final patch of oil. Usually the one 15 minute soak with Sweets is enough to remove the visible copper at the muzzle (12 to 15 shots) but sometimes a second 15 minute soak is required if I've fired 25 to 30 rounds. I dunno whether this gets all the copper from the whole barrel but occasionally I run another patch with Sweets and leave it in for 5-10 minutes and see if any 'blue' appears on a patch and it seldom does.

Last edited by Elvis; 12/10/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm a big fan of Ed's Red. It's a DIY. The basic recipe is here:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Normally, I go light on the acetone, but add extra back in if I'm dealing with plastic residue in a shotgun barrel.

My preferred way to clean is to put a drenched patch down the barrel and then let it sit, the longer the better. After that, I just need to slide a couple of patches down and it all comes clean.

Most of my well-used rifles also have DBC in them as well.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wipeout

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
After getting a barrel clean I use colloidal graphite in the barrel, something Greg Tannel recommends. After cleaning a barrel a few times, then using the colloidal graphite, copper fouling is almost nonexistent.
Lock Ease will work since it is colloidal graphite.

Last edited by K22; 12/11/21.
IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Many shooters, out of ignorance, over clean their firearms.

A more accurate statement would have been many shooters out of ignorance and lack of proper tools under clean their firearms.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Many shooters, out of ignorance, over clean their firearms.

A more accurate statement would have been many shooters out of ignorance and lack of proper tools under clean their firearms.

A MORE accurate statement would have been: "Many shooters attempt to increase their bore diameter by cleaning the [bleep] out of their firearms instead of mostly removing the carbon fouling."

Firearm metallurgy. Study up.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used Hoppe’s for years. Tried Sweet’s. Tried Butch’ Bore Shine and liked it. Went to Shooter’s Choice and liked it a bit better. Then went to Boretech Eliminator and was sold on it. Added Boretech’s carbon remover to my routine and it’s very effective. I’m now a Boretech guy.

The best thing about Hoppe’s is the smell. It doesn’t clean that well in my opinion.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Why don't you show us your cleaning tools and explain to us how you do it Sheriff Joe

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Why?

Are you deliberately stupid or just stupid??

IC B3

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
No I'm not the stupid one I clean my rifles without changing bores sizes.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 603Country
I used Hoppe’s for years. Tried Sweet’s. Tried Butch’ Bore Shine and liked it. Went to Shooter’s Choice and liked it a bit better. Then went to Boretech Eliminator and was sold on it. Added Boretech’s carbon remover to my routine and it’s very effective. I’m now a Boretech guy.

The best thing about Hoppe’s is the smell. It doesn’t clean that well in my opinion.

Same here with the bore tech. I use the C4 carbon remover 90% of the time and it does a really good job with very little effort. When I want to remover copper I use the Eliminator and it is quite effortless as well and does an awesome job.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K22
Tactical Advantage which is made by Wipe Out.

Hands down the best general purpose firearms cleaner ever produced.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

One type of solvent I do NOT use anymore is water-based ammonia. These definitely can etch bores if left inside a bore even a little too long. This info has been around for at least a couple decades, but too many rifle shooters base their opinion of the effectiveness of solvents on whether they can see copper streaks inside the muzzle.

John, if I may exploit my ignorance, how do you tell if a cleaner is a water-based ammonia?
Thank you in advance

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

One type of solvent I do NOT use anymore is water-based ammonia. These definitely can etch bores if left inside a bore even a little too long. This info has been around for at least a couple decades, but too many rifle shooters base their opinion of the effectiveness of solvents on whether they can see copper streaks inside the muzzle.

John, if I may exploit my ignorance, how do you tell if a cleaner is a water-based ammonia?
Thank you in advance

If the smell makes you nauseous, it's ammonia based.

Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy - Josey Wales
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The water based part was the real question.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am always guilty of undercleaning rifles, and often guilty of overthinking issues.

Will the various copper cleaners also eat up your brass cleaning jags and bronze brushes?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman

That

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Originally Posted by mathman

That

From what I understand from various folks involved the bore-cleaner biz, straight ammonia is never used. It's always either cut with water, or used in an oil-based solvent.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnw
I am always guilty of undercleaning rifles, and often guilty of overthinking issues.

Will the various copper cleaners also eat up your brass cleaning jags and bronze brushes?

Some can and will give you indicators of blue from the copper which actually are caused by reacting to the brass/bronze of the jags/brushes.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (ATC, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 11 invisible), 2,204 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,670
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.