-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Much as I like them, and having grown up with them, wood snowshoes fall into the US Army's research truism that "every pound on your feet is the equivalent of five on your back."

I've found that dictum completely true and would never use wood shoes unless forced to. Just too heavy...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Maine Guide Rabbit Hunters

I wish they had MSR style crampons and bindings, though I am sure I could rig something up that would work better for me.
The shoe itself I like way better than MSR Lightening.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Cool Pic, makes me want to get a pair, I can almost justify it.

No task is half-a$$ed more than the spelling of Creedmoor...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Iversons makes shoes webbed with kevlar neoprene.They are far quieter than plastic shoes. My 44 inch long iversons are lighter than my msr shoes with extended tails:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Iverson's are nice! Also, much thinner framed than the Maine Guide's, which are just too heavy/clunky for my taste.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M

I wish they had MSR style crampons and bindings, though I am sure I could rig something up that would work better for me.

Did you order the large or small Rabbit Hunter shoes? I’m going to order a pair but not sure which size. I’m not very heavy but I’ve read comments that too big a snowshoe is still better than too small.
I already have 9x30 aluminum snowshoes but I want a pair that’ll be better in deep snow.

Last edited by mod7rem; 12/10/21.
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
MSR ascent but I see all mar snowshoes are out of stock. If you're climbing up or ascending down steep terrain the big wood snowshoes can be like skis. They work great in deep soft level snow

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mod7rem

Did you order the large or small Rabbit Hunter shoes? I’m going to order a pair but not sure which size. I’m not very heavy but I’ve read comments that too big a snowshoe is still better than too small.
I already have 9x30 aluminum snowshoes but I want a pair that’ll be better in deep snow.

Large.
They are bigger than I often need, but I do a lot of trapping on them and often have a pack full of steel traps so having the extra surface area for that is nice. They can be a PIA to climb in but the forward rise in the shoe helps that, some. I haven't really noticed the weight of them being an issue, and l love how snow that caves in from the top falls through the weave, which doesn't happen as easily with full skinned snowshoes. Even wet snow falls through relatively easy.

For spring bear when I am crossing residual drifts and then taking the shoes off for a while, I do tend to prefer a smaller shoe and the Lightening works pretty good in that capacity.

Ups and downs to them all, I guess.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When shoes get too heavy, coupla runners behind some malamutes sure is nice.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I build Red Feather snowshoes. Have not tried any yet. I know they sell seconds with defects . I used snowshoes a ton when I was in Colorado on a SAR team and ski patrol. Don't recall the brand I used back then but it was rigid frame with like a coated cable for a deck. Things were super duty and lasted. I am not convinced the tubular aluminum would hold up in extreme conditions, off piste, at least not for me!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Remember, on heavily used approach trails, it is not necessary to wear the snowshoes. Save them for deep snow.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't recommend a pair of these:
[Linked Image]
Hey - I can put a Model 37 in the picture too - just no dead stuff handy.
Found these when cleaning out my father's garage. I believe they were made pre WWII by an Akwesasne/Mohawk Indian who lived near my father's hometown when he was growing up in northern NY.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I guide rabbit hunters all winter in the Adirondacks. Both I and the outfitter I guide for wear Atlas shoes, I like the 46 inch shoe. One of our regular hunters wears the Maine Rabbit hunter shoe. Great shoe, well made but no crampons on the bottom. That’s a pretty big deal if you’re going to be breaking trail on any grade at all, and becomes a bigger deal as the grade steepens. The binding upgrade on the Main Rabbit Hunters is well worthwhile. Fast on/off and secure.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Iversons makes shoes webbed with kevlar neoprene.They are far quieter than plastic shoes. My 44 inch long iversons are lighter than my msr shoes with extended tails:

Very nice shoes. I have a few pair if Iversons. Very well made and come from SNOW country. I also have one of their long handled trout nets. Beautiful woodwork.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by fshaw
I guide rabbit hunters all winter in the Adirondacks. Both I and the outfitter I guide for wear Atlas shoes, I like the 46 inch shoe. One of our regular hunters wears the Maine Rabbit hunter shoe. Great shoe, well made but no crampons on the bottom. That’s a pretty big deal if you’re going to be breaking trail on any grade at all, and becomes a bigger deal as the grade steepens. The binding upgrade on the Main Rabbit Hunters is well worthwhile. Fast on/off and secure.

For what you are using your 46” snowshoes for and seeing someone use the Maine Rabbit Hunters, would you recommend the large 11x40 or smaller 10x36 in the Maine Rabbit Hunter? I’m tempted to order the large to maximize float but concerned the large size would be too much of a good thing. I’m 5’8” 150lbs plus a day pack when I’m looking for hares and cats. I have an older pair of Tubbs Altitude 30 and I find them terrible in deep snow. For a second pair I’d like to have better floatation in deep snow but not enough experience with different snowshoes to know if it’s possible to go too big. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Go with the smallest version rated for your weight and load.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Go with the smallest version rated for your weight and load.

I'd say just the opposite. smile Get the biggest rated for your weight and load--- and I'd go a size larger than that.

My decision is based on my extensive experience floundering in deep snow. Also, it appears to me that "weight ratings" are based on groomed trails, where the snow holds up much more weight per square inch of snowshoe floatation than ungroomed snow, especially powder. The experience of others may be different.

We should pay attention to the following quotation from mod7rem's post above: "I’m 5’8” 150lbs plus a day pack when I’m looking for hares and cats. I have an older pair of Tubbs Altitude 30 and I find them terrible in deep snow. For a second pair I’d like to have better floatation in deep snow... "

Didja notice mainer_in_Alaska's 44" snowshoes and Maine guide fshaw's 46" snowshoes.... These men appear to actually use snowshoes a fair amount.

I think EdT has considerable experience snowshoeing and I'd be interested in his comments.

FWIW I did my greatest amount of snowshoeing when I was fairly fit and 190 lbs., always with a daypack and rifle.

Last edited by Okanagan; 12/12/21. Reason: ineptitude
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This 100% ^^^

You’ll wind up with several pair - all for different conditions because snow varies so much in its capacity to support travel.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MikeL2
I don't recommend a pair of these:
[Linked Image]
Hey - I can put a Model 37 in the picture too - just no dead stuff handy.
Found these when cleaning out my father's garage. I believe they were made pre WWII by an Akwesasne/Mohawk Indian who lived near my father's hometown when he was growing up in northern NY.

Wow! What a great find! Take care of those and pass 'em down in the family. I'd be on the lookup for some old photos too.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Open country I am on my Snocraft Alaskan's 10"x56"...wood frame, rawhide web and leather bindings. Timber and brush I am on my Iverson modified bear paw 10"x36"....wood frame rawhide web and synthetic bindings.

Last edited by roundoak; 12/12/21.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If the trails are "groomed" or have heavy travel, you don't need snowshoes until you step off the track.

Was thinking since you're a little guy, that would be appropriate, but then again I'm larger and have to deal with the snow conditions in the Cascades and North Cascades.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.