Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by surefire7
I see two camps on this thread: hunters & gun nuts. Both, are my type of guys (and gals)!

If I had to throw myself into one group or the other, I guess I’m mostly a gun nut, but I love to hunt.

I hunt Moose, Elk, Deer, and Pronghorns in CO & WY. I just returned from my 10th safari in Africa a few days ago, hunting Lion, Buffalo, Hippo, Crock, Eland, Hyena, Kudu and Warthog in the Luangwa Valley of Zambia. I also hunt birds with my Springer Spaniels and I was a field trial gunner for 25 years. So, I really like to hunt/shoot.

But, I own a little under 200 rifles, about 30 shotguns and maybe 50 handguns. Yeah, I’d have to admit to being more of a gun looney.

I’m 70, and like many of you, I am contemplating ‘the end ‘, wondering what to do with my collection. I have no children to pass them on to, so I suppose I’ll just enjoy them to the very end, and then let my wife or remaining family sell them and enjoy the money. It’s just too hard to part with a lifelong passion of collecting and the joy they bring me, whether in the field, or just holding and admiring them in my gun room. And I don’t need the money that I would realize from their sale. I would just feel empty.

At 66 you say the same things I'm feeling but
I do have a daughter who doesn't care to much about guns and atleast 3 nephews who will get some of them...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is wisdom in the old Russian proverb that "Better is the enemy of Good Enough "

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by geedubya
While viewing this thread I stopped and did a quick and dirty count of the different cartridges/chamberings for which I've reloaded. I counted 93. I've got the complete upper and two different types of bullet, and when the dies and brass get here for the 350 Legend I'm assembling, that will be 94 (subject to those i've forgot).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'll be 70 on the 21 of December. Lately I've been thinking about paring down my collection of rifles and knives.

Guess I'm getting old!

ya!

GWB

Also Hero!!!!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by surefire7
I see two camps on this
So, I really like to hunt/shoot.

But, I own a little under 200 rifles, about 30 shotguns and maybe 50 handguns. Yeah, I’d have to admit to being more of a gun looney.

I’m 70, and like many of you, I am contemplating ‘the end ‘, wondering what to do with my collection. I have no children to pass them on to, so I suppose I’ll just enjoy them to the very end, and then let my wife or remaining family sell them and enjoy the money. It’s just too hard to part with a lifelong passion of collecting and the joy they bring me, whether in the field, or just holding and admiring them in my gun room. And I don’t need the money that I would realize from their sale. I would just feel empty.

At 66 you say the same things I'm feeling but
I do have a daughter who doesn't care to much about guns and atleast 3 nephews who will get some of them...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Getting long in the tooth here also. I feel I’ve been blessed with my health so far and living in rural Iowa. I live on the home farm yet and have all grandkids living within 10 miles. With 500 acres of pasture and timber out my back door it’s been very easy to enjoy hunting and shooting with family. Pretty sure I’ll probably hang on to a safe filled handguns and long guns till I’m planted. Like the old western cowboys would say“ if you don’t show up in a few days we’ll spilt up your gear” ! Probably more enjoyment passing them along in person and watching family enjoy getting one of Grandpa’s neat guns.!,

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by geedubya

I'll be 70 on the 21 of December. Lately I've been thinking about paring down my collection of rifles and knives.

GWB

I know where you can divest yourself of a K95

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
And that’s the best problem to have lol

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A 12ga shotgun is capable of anything on the Planet with the correct load. It may not always be the best choice.
But with a 50cal Sabot Solid Slug I could shoot any of the Big Five, but with any Centerfire Rifle I could not shoot Bobwhite Quail Quail on the fly.
Yes the versatility of a 12ga is unmatched.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan
A 12ga shotgun is capable of anything on the Planet with the correct load. It may not always be the best choice.
But with a 50cal Sabot Solid Slug I could shoot any of the Big Five, but with any Centerfire Rifle I could not shoot Bobwhite Quail Quail on the fly.

The Sectional density for the 12 gauge sabot slugs is about 1/2 of what is recommended for dangerous heavy game. I would make sure you have your affairs in order before that safari.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by John0313
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan

The Sectional density for the 12 gauge sabot slugs is about 1/2 of what is recommended for dangerous heavy game. I would make sure you have your affairs in order before that safari.

The late, great shotgunner Bob Brister (who was also a very good big game hunter) once made a bet during a safari that he could kill a mature Cape buffalo bull with his over-under 12-gauge bird gun and Brenneke slugs, which are among the highest-rated. He won the bet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Never said it couldn’t, or hasn’t been done. Advisable, is another story altogether.

I would offer however it’s a good thing there aren’t cape buffalo and rogue elephants lurking in the upper Mississippi River for hunters armed only with 12 gauge slugs to do battle with.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I don't have the collection that many here have, but have rifles ranging from a couple of flyweight mountain rifles to a few big boomers. Nevertheless, it seems when I pack up for a hunting trip, whether to the Brooks Range or to the Lost Coast or anywhere in between, nearly 100% of the time, I grab my 300H&H. Even shot several plainsgame with it in Zimbabwe. As Forrest Gump would say, we go together like peas and carrots.

I doubt I'll be clearing much inventory anytime soon, because I do enjoy the others. They just aren't the workhorse for me that the H&H is.

Last edited by Kushtaka; 12/12/21.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Yup 12gas are pretty horrible DG guns. The sectional density is not there. The .45-70, .458 WM/Lott, and various medium bores all have more to offer for NA.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 12/14/21.
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
173 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 2UP, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,467 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,909
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.